Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times

Advertisements

Don't believe the hype - Winter is that bad. It's 2 degrees F right now, in LA it's 60.

I think when people say it's not that bad, they aren't used to doing a lot of outdoors stuff, or they have Stockholm Syndrome. It's usually warmer in Stockholm, though.

When I lived in Bay Area I was a cyclist and rode 15,000 miles a year. Since moving to MN I've ridden about 1500 miles in 18 months.

It's great if you are into hockey or ice fishing.

Last edited by tjasse; 02-26-2015 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Don't believe the hype - Winter is that bad. It's 2 degrees F right now, in LA it's 60.

I think when people say it's not that bad, they aren't used to doing a lot of outdoors stuff, or they have Stockholm Syndrome. It's usually warmer in Stockholm, though.

When I lived in Bay Area I was a cyclist and rode 15,000 miles a year. Since moving to MN I've ridden about 1500 miles in 18 months.

Sounds like you miss the warmth of the Bay Area, its ok if you cannot be an outdoors person, not everyone is.

Most people who live in Minnesota accept that the winters can be cold, the coldest day was -60F, however we take winter days as part of living up here, I have lived in Northern Minnesota my whole life, and have survived 52 northern winters just fine,

We spend alot of time outside in the winter, we go to remote lakes and have a fire, and listen in hopes of hearing a wolf, we snowshoe and we go hiking. We love off the beaten path places and destinations.

We dont do this stuff everyday, no one does, but we get out plenty of times, we have snowshoed 6-8 mile loops several times, many many times 2-3 miles

I'ts true that not everyone likes the cold of winter, sometimes I hate the cold, getting up and taking the dog out, getting the car or truck out of the garage at 5:30 in the morning, getting out of the nice warm house, and going outside, not everyone likes to do this stuff, that is true, sometimes I dont like shoveling snow, or doing stuff when it is -20, its hard sometimes, I get it, but it is part of living in Minnesota, and knowing that it gets cold here at times.

We dont play hockey and rarely ice fish. Oh, by the way during really bad winter storms, hundreds of people go down to see the power of Lake Superior, hundreds of people show for the BearGrease, many people go hiking along trails, at remote trailheads, lots of people xcski along remote lake shores, alot of people go winter camping in the BW, and alot of people embrace the wintertime.

Last edited by demtion35; 02-26-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM

Whatever. I grew up in Bemidji and was on both the nordic and downhill ski team, had a snowmobile and all that. I did go to Buena Vista nearly every day from age 13 to 18. Everyone else in the area ice fished and played hockey. Different story in Minneapolis. It's just cold and there is not enough snow to do any snow sports. There is however enough ice to make running and biking dangerous. Kudos on pulling out the tired old "if you can't handle it" nonsense like every Minnesotan does.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If you move here, check out the Out of the Closets or Goodwills in LA; we used to live there and got great deals on warm clothes to wear back on visits. In LA, the second hand stores have some great deals because it seems to be stuff that people wear to go on their winter ski vacations, so it's (a) nice stuff because people who can go on ski vacations tend to have money, (b) not very used. Plus (c) there's not as much competition to buy it, since you don't need it in LA!
Great idea!!!! Thank you.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:

My husband is a cyclist rides everyday to work and back then rides on weekends. This is interesting will have to tell him this for sure. But then again he play hockey his holechildhood.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Can't help you on the neighborhoods (looks like others, especially UU have got you covered there) as I'm (sadly) a suburbanite, but as a recent transplant from South Florida, I can assure you that the winters, or at least this winter, was really not that bad.

I, too, was terrified (in fact, that's the exact verbiage-- "terrified of winter"-- that I used before I moved here)-- shockingly, I don't find that, other than the addition of boots, a coat and gloves, my winter wardrobe 'uniform' from FL (skinny jeans or leggings with a fitted long sleeve tee and/or a tunic) is any different here in MN as it was in FL-- in fact, I find myself wearing a tank top (admittedly under a cardi or zippy/hoodie) at least once a week.

The weather is vastly different, of course, but a) kids are seemingly immune to cold and b) it's not as though you'll be trekking through it for hours at a time and c) you really do acclimate and quickly

Without question, invest in high quality outerwear for your family (and be sure to get an extra pair or two of waterproof gloves or mittens for each member of your family, as they like to go AWOL!), but even during this, my first 'real' winter, I've learned to embrace it-- winter sports are fun (and Minnesotans don't miss a beat-- people bike in -25* like it's nothing!), the cold (when not below 0*) is bracing in a good way, and I'm excited for spring and summer (and think I'll appreciate those seasons significantly more than I ever did when I lived in 'endless summer')

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much helps alot!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo12jon View Post
My husband is a cyclist rides everyday to work and back then rides on weekends. This is interesting will have to tell him this for sure. But then again he play hockey his holechildhood.
There are a lot of cyclists in Minnesota. However, you can't do real outdoor training in the winter. You can commute, but I guess I don't see the point. Those "fat bikes" were pretty much invented here, some guys are into that. I actually got more into running since I've been back. It just feels safer, like less chance of utter catastrophe.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
I second UU's suggestion of checking out thrift stores in upscale areas of LA-- I scored my kids' Sorel boots for under $5 in an upscale thrift store just outside Palm Beach (and I don't believe that they had been worn for more than a day on a ski trip, if at all).

Another great option is eBay, especially during the off season-- not everything is a bargain, of course, but I got my husband's a Columbia ski jacket and my kids' Columbia brand snowpants for under $10 shipped-- each of my kids got 3-in-1 The North Face jackets for $30ish shipped, down The North Face jackets for around $20ish shipped. It took a bit of searching, but nothing onerous and the savings were well worth the time invested.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Quote:

I'm in North Central MN and I bike to work almost every day. Not a long commute but still have the Schwinn out all winter long. Lack of snow this go-round is plenty helpful in that regard.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 PM

416 posts, read 559,833 times
Quote:

I'll take 2F and no traffic vs. 60F and being stuck on the 101 heading to Santa Monica, or stuck on the 5, or stuck on the 10, or...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota