Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:20 PM

534 posts, read 1,170,465 times

Advertisements

I forget which city it is in Minnesota, but there's one where the street signs are in (what I assume to be) Finnish. I want to say it's Aurora, en route to Ely. But I may have simply assumed that because I went through Aurora on that particular trip.

But what do I know? I'm just a half-breed Swiss/Frenchman whose ancestors settled in Kelliher, MN and LaCrosse, WI, respectively

While I can't account for how I ended up being born in Vermont (grandfather couldn't read a map?), at least I'm a Minnesotan now (thankfully)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
I've been told Finns are the laughing stock of other Minnesotan Scandinavian.

Such as "build by a Finn" = "poorly made"
Are they idiots I ask?

Let me introduce you to a map of Scandinavia:

Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
With all the Scandinavian influence in Minnesota, how come there's not much heavy metal music to come from there? I mean, Bob Dylan and Prince are good, but their music doesn't kick people in the face like this:

So what gives?
Since it's Friday let's listen to some proper Finnish music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7kJRGPgvRQ

Old 03-13-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
I forget which city it is in Minnesota, but there's one where the street signs are in (what I assume to be) Finnish. I want to say it's Aurora, en route to Ely. But I may have simply assumed that because I went through Aurora on that particular trip.

But what do I know? I'm just a half-breed Swiss/Frenchman whose ancestors settled in Kelliher, MN and LaCrosse, WI, respectively

While I can't account for how I ended up being born in Vermont (grandfather couldn't read a map?), at least I'm a Minnesotan now (thankfully)!
Hmm didn't spot any in Aurora, but Hancock Michigan had multiple Finnish flags when I Google Street Viewed trough

Old 03-13-2015, 03:52 PM

9 posts, read 22,162 times
Winona Ryder has Belgian and possibly Finnish ancestry on her mother's side. Her father is Jewish (from Romania and Russia). She's from Olmsted County, Minnesota. I love her.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:59 PM

413 posts, read 763,710 times
Askov, MN has street signs that are, I believe, in Danish.

The Duluth area and Northern Wisconsin over to and through the UP of Michigan has a very large population of Finnish descent to this day. You see a lot of Finnish flags and related things in that area, and lots of Finnish names.

And geographically and politically, Finland is Scandinavian, but culturally and especially language-wise, it's really not. It's much closer to Russia and Estonia in that regard.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 22,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post

The Duluth area and Northern Wisconsin over to and through the UP of Michigan has a very large population of Finnish descent to this day. You see a lot of Finnish flags and related things in that area, and lots of Finnish names.

And geographically and politically, Finland is Scandinavian, but culturally and especially language-wise, it's really not. It's much closer to Russia and Estonia in that regard.
I have always thought of Finland as Scandinavian and not Eastern European.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Sorry but you are not correct. Finnish language is related to Estonia but has nothing to do with Russian. Also culturally Finland is Nordic/Western, far from Russia. Estonia has close ties to Finland as 100k of their 1 million population works in Finland every day, Finland infulences Estonia not the other way around. I can't even describe you how much people despise anything Russian/from Russia

Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junesara View Post
I have always thought of Finland as Scandinavian and not Eastern European.
You have been correct Finland is definately not slavic/eastern.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:43 AM

275 posts, read 332,116 times
Quote:

My understanding is that Scandinavia consists of the countries where the Vikings came from(Denmark, Norway, Sweden), but does not include the countries they ruled. It is more than a geographical location. Nordic countries are countries that include Scandinavians and countries they ruled-- Iceland, Faroe Island, Finland, Greenland, Svalbard, Aland Islands.

Some years back Estonia wanted to change their flag to resemble that of the other Nordic countries because they descend from the Baltic Finns instead of the Baltic people like Latvians and Lithuanians. The Nordic flag originated in Estonia

I don't know. That's just my understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota