Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum13 View Post
Well I finally made a trip to Marshall. Quaint little community, but the house prices are too high for what's out there. People really want premium for their homes. The style of homes are strange, basements were nice though.
Ckd out the schls...no complaints public/private.
My daughter is a swimmer and I need her to be challenged in competition and be able to have a good swim coach. Any suggestions????
My son has an African fat-tail leopard gecko who eats live crickets. Couldn't find anyone in town who supplies these. Was told the vet Dr. Black bred these, but haven't confirmed it yet....anyone know for sure???
I did like the wide open spaces. My son will enjoy not being fenced in. he's a wild spirit who loves the outdoors. All three ski and love it.
Thinking of going to Land's End to purchase winter wear, any suggestions?
thanks so much. All info is taken seriously.
God bless
Marshall has a good swim team and they compete in some pretty high powered meets around the state. They generally have several entrants to the state tournament each year. They also have a fairly large swim club for kids not swimming on the high school team.

I know Dr. Black, I don't know if he breads gecko's but he can probably get what you need. There is also a vet supply store in town that might be able to get what you need as well.

I am not sure what you mean by the strange style of houses in Marshall. They are pretty typical for the upper midwest . Prices in Marshall are very low compared to the Twin Cities but if you are coming from the south, they seem high. I would LOVE to have Marshall housing prices up in the cities .

Land's End is a good option for outdoor clothing but there are stores in Marshall that you can buy from as well. Borches Sporting Goods has a great selection of winter coats and snowpants.

What are you looking for in a house? I can help with specific neighborhoods that are good/not good too. There aren't any "bad" neighborhoods, bad meaning unsafe, just some that are prone to water backing up in the basement type bad areas that you will want to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Based on watching "House Hunters" on HGTV, I never see splits on that show. Any show I've watched on flipping or buying I don't recall ever seeing a split. (Of course that doesn't mean they aren't there, just I've never seen an episode with one).

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,955 times
I've been living in Sebeka MN which is about 20 minutes due east of Frazee. The land between here and there is nothing but Farm Land. The entire surrounding area is Farm Land, both working farms and also Hobby Farms. They are very affordable. The surrounding communities are perfect examples of Small Town Life and I HIGHLY recommend Sebeka. We are populated by about 680 folks in the town and the school which contains childeren from the surrounding areas is very good. I have been pleasantly suprised about just how good a community this is. We are only a twenty minute drive from Walmart - where you will be doing much of the shopping - and a few other chain stores. Sebeka has only the local small town shops, a Mom and Pop market, a Hardware and a very friendly affordable family run cafe. Also in town is a brand new American Legion where very good Pizza is available and a good old fassion Brewski after work. It's absolutely gang buster busy in the Cafe during Breakfast as so many of the farmers stop in after their early chores.

The community is so very friendly and we are an e-commerace commuity as West Central, the local phone coop, has Sebeka and the surrounding area wired with Fiber Optics. That gives us the High Speed Internet that drives life in these United States.

There is actually IT Jobs here with CrossUSA, which offers Programmer Positions - we have a staff of about 25 working here in Sebeka. You'll not find that in many areas.

We're not going to be your only choice either, there are many small communities like Sebeka around the area. Menahga is only a bit bigger and is locate about ten miles to the north. Ten more miles and you are in Park Rappids, a more tourist laden area in Summer but still Small Town America at a Population of nearly 4000. (if you are looking for that bigger town - that is)

The whole area has many Resorts where the City Folk come to get away from the Rat Race. We live here and enjoy it year round. Winter is so very fun too, the cold is so un-important. I was so very suprised at how much I did enjoy winter as I never have previously except to ski.

You can not go wrong if you are looking for life in a small town with wondeful caring neighbors and wild life gallore. This area is it.

Any Questions about this area - feel free to ask!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 10,590 times
The house styles that overhanging tops esp. in split levels. Just don't have those here.
I'm looking to feed a gecko, they eat meal worms or crickets (both have to be live and bred for feed). Can't catch the ones outside and feed them to the gecko, he'll die.
As for the house: I'd like a 4/2/2 ranch style. The kitchen needs to be eat-in. We'd like some yard for the kids to play, but if we're close to a park, not such an issue. We bike to our park right now.
Go to Wilson-O'Brien Realtors and check out these houses for me and give me your honest opinion.
28127, 27908, 26021, 27279, 28222 (new listing), 28179.
Thanks again for any help.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The house styles that overhanging tops esp. in split levels. Just don't have those here.
I'm looking to feed a gecko, they eat meal worms or crickets (both have to be live and bred for feed). Can't catch the ones outside and feed them to the gecko, he'll die.
As for the house: I'd like a 4/2/2 ranch style. The kitchen needs to be eat-in. We'd like some yard for the kids to play, but if we're close to a park, not such an issue. We bike to our park right now.
Go to Wilson-O'Brien Realtors and check out these houses for me and give me your honest opinion.
28127 is in a nice, desirable neighborhood. There are a LOT of kids that live in that area--only drawback, it is on the edge of town and not quite as easy for kids to ride bikes to parks, etc.

27908--again another good family neighborhood, very close to the middle school-grades 5-8, convenient to shopping, parks, etc.

27279--this is out in the country on the opposite side of town from all of the shopping, schools, etc. It isn't bad but driving into town to take kids here/there/everywhere will get old after a while. You won't have playmates for the kids out there.

26021--BUSY street, the quality of the builder on this home isn't the best. Right across the street from the middle school--I wouldn't consider this house personally--too much traffic.

28222-this is in a little older part of town, corner lot. Not a bad location, not the best but only a few blocks to downtown, parks, Catholic School. If you like the house, it would be an ok buy.

28179--In the same neighborhood as the first house I commented on but you don't want this house. It has a really goofy layout. There is a spiral stairway up to the master bedroom--cool but you can't get a bed up and down that very easily. We looked at this house and it isn't something we would buy--neighborhood is great though.

Others to consider if you like the houses are 23084, 26497. 27572, 25240, 26733, 27993 (they have the street spelled wrong on this-it should be Nuese--GREAT location-house needs updating badly but nice, nice area). All of these are in great areas, good locations, etc. The 23084 house is on a dead end street, great location, lots of kids. I would really consider this one.

Do you want all your bedrooms on one level or are you ok with 2 on one floor and 2 on another?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 PM

I'd prefer all the rooms on one level, but okay w/it otherwise. I am leaning towards these 3.
28127, 27908, 23084. We didn't like it when u had to enter a house and go immediately up stairs to the first level. that's why we scratched so many houses.
About the one w/the spiral stairs. I was hoping there was another way up or a way to revamp it.
I greatly appreciate the help. You have no idea how much.
thanks again

Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
I'd prefer all the rooms on one level, but okay w/it otherwise. I am leaning towards these 3.
28127, 27908, 23084. We didn't like it when u had to enter a house and go immediately up stairs to the first level. that's why we scratched so many houses.
About the one w/the spiral stairs. I was hoping there was another way up or a way to revamp it.
I greatly appreciate the help. You have no idea how much.
thanks again
No, there isn't a way to change out the spiral staircase. If there were, the house would have sold. It has been on the market off an on for about 4 years.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:19 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,955 times
Quote:
Trade the Gecko for an Iguana - they are vegetarian. I fed mine Collard Greens which Wal Mart got for me constantly.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 PM

I can't, he was a birthday present and he's part of the family already. The only trade my son will do is his dirt bike for a 4-wheeler.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 PM

240 posts, read 586,184 times
Go to city-data.com and greatschools.com and you'll get all sorts of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota