Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM

22,905 posts, read 28,211,630 times

Advertisements

I'm from NM. I grew up there and still have lots of family there. My dad lived in Arizona for 6 years or so.

I spent some time in Minnesota, and I have to say that of those three, I'd pick Minnesota in a heartbeat. No contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 05:15 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,997,889 times
It's hard for me to like Minnesota. The jobs and people are great. Taxes are oppressive. I hate hate hate the weather. 6 to 8 months of winter is just too much. Right now it's 0 degrees and the windchill is -20. NM is looking better and better!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,235,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's hard for me to like Minnesota. The jobs and people are great. Taxes are oppressive. I hate hate hate the weather. 6 to 8 months of winter is just too much. Right now it's 0 degrees and the windchill is -20. NM is looking better and better!

How long have you lived in MN? Where do you get that we have 8 months of winter? I have lived here my whole life and have NEVER had an 8 month winter. Yes, it is cold today and come mid Jan we will see some really, really cold temps but frankly, it is December and it isn't really even winter here yet for us real Minnesotans. Remember just 2 weeks ago when we had temps in the upper 60's? Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 40's.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,309,040 times
Quote:
New Mexico may be warmer by a bit, but its the high desert and youll be just as cold at night. Temps can be in the 50s in the daytime and low teens at night, Id rather have a solid temp range than one that fluctuates so much in any given day. Plus, no rain, bad schools, oppressive summer heat and bad jobs will get you back in MN in no time. NM is a tourism state with extremely poor cities, probably some of the poorest in the nation.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How long have you lived in MN? Where do you get that we have 8 months of winter? I have lived here my whole life and have NEVER had an 8 month winter. Yes, it is cold today and come mid Jan we will see some really, really cold temps but frankly, it is December and it isn't really even winter here yet for us real Minnesotans. Remember just 2 weeks ago when we had temps in the upper 60's? Tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 40's.
Since 1995. 12 long hard cold years! To me, if it's snowing, it's winter. Several years, it started in September and was still snowing in May. Winter is fine but that's excessive!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,235,698 times
Quote:
Since 1995. 12 long hard cold years! To me, if it's snowing, it's winter. Several years, it started in September and was still snowing in May. Winter is fine but that's excessive!

September to May, really, you must live up by Duluth then because I can't say I have EVER seen snow in September here and only once/twice in May but those were freak storms and the snow was gone in 24 hours. Usually by April the golf course are open and they usually stay open until November. There were people golfing on Thanksgiving this year. If you moved here in 95 you have yet to experience a REAL Minnesota winter. We have not had a real winter in 15 years.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM

571 posts, read 2,527,828 times
I was born and raised in MN and moved out to Colorado for 5 years before moving back to northern MN a little over 2 years ago. We did a lot of traveling when we lived in CO, been to NM and AZ several times. I really came to love a lot about the southwest--the architecture, the art, the food, the stark beauty of the desert landscape--maybe just because it's so different from what I grew up with. So yeah, I guess I can see the allure for someone from my neck of the woods looking for a totally new experience.

But to actually LIVE there (at least full time) would be a different story. Even in Colorado (which is relatively "wet" compared to AZ/NM) I really missed the water and greenery (and the fall colors!) of my home state. Sure the winters can be long, but I'd still rather have all 4 seasons if given the choice.

I suppose I could see myself donig the "snowbird" thing as a retiree someday, but I'm content to spend the rest of my working years right here.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
September to May, really, you must live up by Duluth then because I can't say I have EVER seen snow in September here and only once/twice in May but those were freak storms and the snow was gone in 24 hours. Usually by April the golf course are open and they usually stay open until November. There were people golfing on Thanksgiving this year. If you moved here in 95 you have yet to experience a REAL Minnesota winter. We have not had a real winter in 15 years.
You aren't the first person to say there hasn't been a real winter in 15 years. If it's that much worse, I hope I don't ever see one!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 PM

23 posts, read 104,771 times
I moved out to AZ from MN/the Twin Cities 7 months ago and I HATE IT! I don't understand how anyone would want to live here long term! I moved out here to be near my now-fiance. I've tried to sway him to move back as both our families are there and we're expecting a baby, but he's reluctant to leave. gggrrr!
Life in the desert is just weird compared to my Midwestern upbringing. Some people are over joyed with the constant sunshine, I'm not such a fan! The same boring thing day in and day out...it's enough to drive a person nuts! I miss the winters, the summer T-storms, the grass, the lakes, the people...life is just more fun in the Midwest.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 PM

288 posts, read 810,868 times
My wife and I had considered AZ for a long time. Then the housing market went crazy with all the Californians moving in and priced us out of there. In hindsight, I guess it's best it didn't work out. Everything I hear these days is negative. The people are reputed to be unfriendly, crime keeps getting worse, jobs don't pay as well and there's a constant "brown cloud" that hangs over the Phoenix area. I've heard it said that it was a good place to live 20 years ago, but those days are over.

We haven't given up the dream of moving somewhere warmer though. We're looking at the Austin TX area now. That's one of the few large cities in the south that can compare favorably with the midwest when it comes to things like crime, jobs, cleanliness, schools, etc.... IMHO. Almost everyone we met down there was friendly too. I realize 4-5 months of 95 degree weather isn't everyone's idea of paradise, but to me that's what a real summer should be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota