Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:27 AM

210 posts, read 286,015 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think more people get stuck in snow that have 4wd than ones that don't. They take more chances and think they can get thru anything, just cause it says 4 X 4 on their pickup. I haven't had 4 wheel drive for many years and I never get stuck. Common sense will do you more good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:23 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_shackleford View Post
Unless you're working off-campus or a late shift, you won't have parking privileges for at least ten years. .
Hmm, they left that part out. I'll be working the 3-11 shift, (if I get the job), so do buses run that late? I don't like the thought of walking around alone in the dark.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I'll probably get snow tires, at least for my first winter. I'm really glad I don't have to sink money into a new car right now.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 PM

39 posts, read 109,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
Hello,

I have an interview with Mayo next week, and if I get the job I am moving! *fingers crossed*

I'm sure I'll live in Rochester, so I'll have a minimal commute. But I've never lived somewhere that snowy. Will I need a 4 wheel drive car? Snow tires? I currently have a chevy impala, and I'm hoping to hold onto it for another two years. What do you think?
When I first lived in RST I had a rear wheel drive car and snow tires helped a lot. Later on we moved out into the country and had to commute on county roads and I also began snowmobiling so I got 4-wheel drive to pull my sleds on a trailer.

Now live close to Grand Junction, CO where we don't have any snow to speak of.

Good luck with the Mayo. Fine company to work for.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM

137 posts, read 225,609 times
Quote:
Hmm, they left that part out. I'll be working the 3-11 shift, (if I get the job), so do buses run that late? I don't like the thought of walking around alone in the dark.
That shift will get you parking privileges immediately. If you ever switch to a normal day shift, you'd lose them. Buses don't run that late, so you'd have to drive. That said, you'd still be with an Impala. As others have noted, 4WD is for people who live in the country at the end of a long driveway with a steep incline.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:36 PM

176 posts, read 420,208 times
I lived in Kasson MN 15 miles west of Rochester for 22 years.
I always had at the least 15 to 20 miles to drive everyday.
I always liked to have a 4x4 to drive when things got fairly tough but usually drove a front wheel drive car most of the time unless I needed the truck.
The one thing I learned early on in MN is keep new tires on at all times.
When my tires got down to half tread I bought new it is not worth trying to get every mile you can out of a set of tires for the added safety new brings.
If you ever change a tire in 15 below zero weather you will never want to do it again I know.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
No you don't need them. It could be nice but not essential. It's funny because some people think because they have snow tires and 4wd they are exempt from going slow and being cautious and guess who ends up in the ditch? So either way you'll have to go slow on the few snow days.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 PM

200 posts, read 174,950 times
I got the job. August 1st: MN here I come!

Old 07-03-2015, 11:29 AM

85 posts, read 216,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
+1, I have advocated for snow tires on this forum many times, and while I agree they are not absolutely necessary in urban areas, they have saved me from at-fault accidents a couple times. No matter how good a driver you are, handling on snow and ice is completely unpredictable. My snow tires have already paid for themselves by keeping me safe.
+1. Living in RST made me a believer in snow/ice tires. They don't plow and salt as quickly/extensively as they did where I lived in Minneapolis and Chicago, and there seems to be more blowing snow issues in RST. My wife (not an inexperienced winter driver, from New England) had a spin out with our compact car and I got snow tires which made it a better driver than my Subaru which had average all season tires.

The expense is worth it in my mind. You actually get extra mileage out of your all seasons because you don't have to get rid of them when it's November and they have 40% tread wear left.

There are many areas in Europe where winter tires are legally required, and not just the mountain resort areas. I don't know why some people think so little of them here.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Quote:
I got the job. August 1st: MN here I come!
Congratulations and an early welcome to Rochester!

Old 07-04-2015, 04:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I just moved here to Rochester. Love it here! Now I haven't lived through a winter yet...but I am feeling optimisitic. I know it will be cold. I've been told over and over it isn't that there is tons of snow. Its that it is very cold and windy. That is what I experienced when visiting last winter.

I have a new 2 wheel drive car and I am going to stick with it. I live on a hill so I am going to ask my neighbors (many who have 2 wheel drive) if I need or could benefit from snow tires. We also got a house only a few miles from Mayo and I will be driving the kids to school not too far away.

Congrats on the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota