Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:09 PM

8 posts, read 7,663 times

Advertisements

I feel like responses like this give kids opportunities to not learn from mistakes. Reasons why medals and trophies for "participation" exist and hinder their social growth.

Plus if you read my initial explanation, I didn't mention the fact he owes me anything financially. With that said, zero remorse was shown and no apology given.

Very judgmental and negative response given little information. My opinion...

If I have kids, they certainly will be held accountable for their actions, at any age. Partly the reason why most Americans constantly blame others when issues occur. just like the parents of the 20 year old that put a firework on his head when he was drunk and died. They blamed fireworks companies and government regulations. When in fact, their kid was just a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,301,940 times
Sorry, but this one is on you. What were you thinking not double-checking the garage and just taking the kid at his word? And the 10 year old perhaps should learn a lesson and accept responsibility here but that would be up to his parents...not you.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:32 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,900,954 times
if you lost used bicycles, then they were really only worth half as much as when they were brand new so you are only out about $500...there, that doesn't sound so bad when you tell others about it.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,669,195 times
Maybe your brother thinks you have insurance, as you should. In any event, he wasn't there to supervise them, that was your responsibility. And leaving the garage door open by accident can happen to anyone. It happens.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,831,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnichols24 View Post
I feel like responses like this give kids opportunities to not learn from mistakes. Reasons why medals and trophies for "participation" exist and hinder their social growth.

Plus if you read my initial explanation, I didn't mention the fact he owes me anything financially. With that said, zero remorse was shown and no apology given.

Very judgmental and negative response given little information. My opinion...

If I have kids, they certainly will be held accountable for their actions, at any age. Partly the reason why most Americans constantly blame others when issues occur. just like the parents of the 20 year old that put a firework on his head when he was drunk and died. They blamed fireworks companies and government regulations. When in fact, their kid was just a moron.
See I think you need to accept responsibility for this one. Funny how that works, huh? Don't you see the irony in all this?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,733,437 times
Don't you have insurance to cover such an expensive item?

If not, lesson learned for next time - for you! Get insurance. Did you contact police and report the items stolen?

The kids are TEN, who in the past have no shown themselves to be responsible. They do need supervision. Therefore, you should have checked that they had closed the door, especially since you claimed your bikes were so valuable. I hope you learned this lesson that kids need to be checked on. Next time, I hope you will check.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:40 AM

431 posts, read 447,427 times
Your brother didn't show any remorse because it's not his problem. One should never rely on a 10 year old to do anything important, especially someone else's 10 year old.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:43 AM

9,244 posts, read 14,802,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Your brother didn't show any remorse because it's not his problem. One should never rely on a 10 year old to do anything important, especially someone else's 10 year old.
Children are always their parents' problem and responsibility- it's even in legal statutes.

The parents should have offered to make some kind of restitution even if not for the full value of the bikes- perhaps the insurance deductible?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:49 AM

431 posts, read 447,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Children are always their parents' problem and responsibility- it's even in legal statutes.

The parents should have offered to make some kind of restitution even if not for the full value of the bikes- perhaps the insurance deductible?
A judge in small claims court would dismiss this in seconds and admonish the plaintiff for wasting the court's time.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 AM

9,244 posts, read 14,802,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
A judge in small claims court would dismiss this in seconds and admonish the plaintiff for wasting the court's time.
Did I say take this case to a judge? It's family!

However, parents are responsible and can be held responsible for damage done by their kids- generally until they are age 18- probably varies by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota