Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 AM

39 posts, read 109,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyjane8 View Post
We are thinking of moving to New Ulm, MN. We read it was one of the 8 safest towns in the U.S.A. Is it as good as they say and also, are there alot of somali refugee's there? I know they relocated alot of them to Minnesota, but wasn't sure if New Ulm got any of them? Thank you for any info?
I don't know where you are at now but if you are looking for wonderful retirement spot then check out Fruita, CO.
Village at Country Creek, a Western CO Retirement Community
We moved from MN to CO 22 years ago.
Fruita is listed as the safest city in CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 PM

210 posts, read 285,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Rider View Post
I don't know where you are at now but if you are looking for wonderful retirement spot then check out Fruita, CO.
Village at Country Creek, a Western CO Retirement Community
We moved from MN to CO 22 years ago.
Fruita is listed as the safest city in CO.
But, how safe is CO?

Old 08-28-2015, 04:49 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
New Ulm is almost 100% Somali. Ulm is the Somali word for homeland.
It's is not often I laugh at a smart alec City Data post, but this was good.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:55 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I have been to Mankato and surrounding areas.... not specifically to New Ulm.... but that is a heavy farming area. I have no opinion on that area...it seems ok but kind of blah.

If I would retire in MN....I would choose the Park Rapids MN area. Some nice quaint shops downtown and in nearby Walker and Brainerd. Nice area for the quiet life. Winters are cold and snowy but that is to be expected.... but lots of pine trees, etc in that area so not very windy.
I agree. New Ulm is OK.... if you want quiet and predictable, which is perhaps OK. For my money, I would look at the following towns instead:

- Alexandria
- Park Rapids
- Red Wing
- Perham
- Pelican Rapids
- Osakis

Each gives you access to water, which, even if you only look at it, is a big reason to choose Minnesota. Some of my most relaxing afternoons are sitting on a bench looking at water.

A cool town to retire to would be Grand Marais, but you would have to be up for an adventure. Based on your question about safety, you might want to stick a little closer to civilization.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Is the OP's draw to New Ulm just that it was on an "8 safest" list? No offense, but most of those lists are crap, and even if they had statistical meaning, there's likely no meaningful difference between the #8 safest and the #8,000 safest.

You didn't really talk about budget, or access to services/medical, etc., but for someone looking to retire there (who seemingly isn't from MN) I'd tend to recommend something closer to either the TC or Rochester as an actual hub.

Red Wing is a pretty nice town, or one of the other towns in that outer belt like Cannon Falls/Northfield/New Prague.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
It's is not often I laugh at a smart alec City Data post, but this was good.
And even Somali can't be 100% Somali.

Don't be late for the Somali Pot Luck.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:00 AM

393 posts, read 409,236 times
look to Kiplinger's list of retirement in the 50 states. Minnesota is one of the top 10 least friendly tax states in existence. Probably to cover the cost of all those "immigrants". IMO

Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 AM

772 posts, read 913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyjane8 View Post
We are thinking of moving to New Ulm, MN. We read it was one of the 8 safest towns in the U.S.A. Is it as good as they say and also, are there alot of somali refugee's there? I know they relocated alot of them to Minnesota, but wasn't sure if New Ulm got any of them? Thank you for any info?
To answer your question, the Somali refuges are all on government assistance, so they all live in Minneapolis, specifically the section 8 building

If you google " minneapolis somali building" it pops right up. Heres the link:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...01_634x413.jpg

Stay away from the major citys where all the free housing, bus lines, amd EBT cards are, and you wil be good.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,174 times
Winona, MN was just identified on the new top 10 safest towns list. It's a nice mid-size town along the river.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:51 AM

210 posts, read 285,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgregg3 View Post
Winona, MN was just identified on the new top 10 safest towns list. It's a nice mid-size town along the river.
Winona area is a beautiful place along the Mississippi. I do love the bluff country but Winona is pretty spendy when it comes to real estate. La Crosse, WI, which isn't all that far south of there and also along the Mississippi, would be much more affordable. I had considered La Crosse for retirement some day but switched my plans to northern MN due to the numerous lakes. The La Crosse area is pretty lacking in that dept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota