Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM

419 posts, read 2,019,101 times

Advertisements

I asked someone who recently moved to Minnesota why they moved to the State and here was there response: "Minnesota has more old fashioned regular folks than almost anywhere in America."

I think there is some truth to the comment. I travel all over America on a regular basis and spend quite a bit of time in Minnesota. In a era of changing demographics, ethnics, morality, families and politics, I think the people in Minnesota still have some of the old fashioned ways America used to respect. I find families are stronger here, education encouraged, schools better, neighborhoods tighter, social problems more limited. Minnesota has it problems but there are still more regular old fashioned folks than other places. Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I agree. We just don't see to see the problems the rest of the nation has-high school drop outs, teen pregnancy, etc. Not that these things don't happen but when you see the rates for these things and compare them to MN it just isn't prevalent here. I think this is because we have tight knit families, better schools, more emphasis on a good education and a strong work ethic.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
I went to college in MN, my closest friends are still in MN/ND, and yes, I would agree whole heartedly with what you have said. I have always found the people I meet from the upper midwest to be more genuine than those I've met here on the west coast. I sincerely hope to be back there in a couple more years.

But beware... I'm sure someone from one of the "MN nice" threads will read this and tell us how wrong we are

Old 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
I agree also, but I am sure the "I can't make friends in MN/MN nice is annoying" crowd will soon be in here to disagree.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,921 times
I agree as well. People in Minnesota like to go to work to sit back and enjoy their weekends. I don't think many people here like change. We stick with what worked before. EW

Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM

17 posts, read 64,512 times
Wow, I knew it would show up eventually - Truth is...

Only MNs think that MNs have a stronger work ethic, are harder workers, are more educated.... really - I've never heard it from anyone but a MN.

As for stronger families, well - no one ever leaves MN, and weekends are spent up-north with the family, so I guess that could make a family strong.

Genuine? try "Minnesota Me"

Then there's the news always trying to find the Minnesota Connection-that got annoying!

MNs aren't better than everyone-but when you live there you here this stuff all the time!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_MD View Post

Only MNs think that MNs have a stronger work ethic, are harder workers, are more educated.... really - I've never heard it from anyone but a MN.

As for stronger families, well - no one ever leaves MN, and weekends are spent up-north with the family, so I guess that could make a family strong.

Then there's the news always trying to find the Minnesota Connection-that got annoying!

MNs aren't better than everyone-but when you live there you here this stuff all the time!

Wow, just Wow, I don't know if your referring to my post but I said Minnesotans work hard and enjoy their weekends. I never said we work harder than anyone else though. However having a job that requires you to work outside in Minnesota sucks. EW

Old 02-01-2008, 02:45 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC_MD View Post

Gee, not ONE of the previous posts said Minnesotans are better than everyone else. But they shoul be allowed to exhibit a little pride.

Truth is... Most national statistics on the subject bear out claims of quality education in MN. If it's a fact, you should be allowed to brag a little.

And yes, as someone who has lived in a variety of places, I stand by my assessment that people in the upper midwest are more down to earth and genuine.

Your posts, OC_MD are the only place I've heard of "MN Me". If you want examples of shallow self-absorption, look no further than the seeming need of everyone out here on the west coast to own a beemer, benz, or luxury SUV.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:05 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times
OC_MD's location is "the beach... after 17 years in MN" so I figure he's at least semi-proud that he/she lived here!

With all of 10 posts to OC_MD's name; I find this post pretty danged amusing.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,364 times
Minnesota has a lot of pride in itself. A little bit like Texas. There is a self-centered or more correctly, a Minn-o-centric attitude that likes to compare itself to the rest of the country. And you don't get much mixing from the other states because of the cold winters. Tends to weed out many non-natives.

In that regard, it is more old-fashioned and traditional.

You have to be away from "The Brainpower State" or "The State of Hockey" to see Minnesota for what it is. I have lived in Northern California for 15 years after many years in Minnesota. The people here work hard and then go to the mountains, ocean or lakes on the weekends. No different than Minnesota. We are less part of a collective mind-set though. We don't relate our behavior as being "Californian" like many Minnesotans seem to do with being "Minnesotan"... There is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: