Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times

Advertisements

It is pretty awsome, but I don't think there is a best state. People all have their preferences and they are not stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUWarriorsFan View Post
I don't know about anyone else who is from Minnesota, but despite all of the hick remarks about Minnesotans, I think it the best state to live and raise a family in throughout the United States. I was wondering what other people who grew up in the state think about it?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
It is pretty awsome, but I don't think there is a best state. People all have their preferences and they are not stupid.
But if there was a best state, it wouldn't be Minnesota

Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 AM

41 posts, read 141,200 times
I lived in the twin cities for 3.5 yrs. There is good and bad but Ihave to say the bad outweighs the good by far.

GOOD:

Great live music scene
Great eateries
Most of the people are civilized (i.e. no one cuts in front of you, people use thir turn signals etc)

BAD:

Traffic
Native Minnesotoans are naive and very provinical
Expensive
People are very clique oriented
Too many gun nuts and hunters (by the way, I am a republican, but very anti gun and anti hunting)

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 29,155 times
While I think Minnesota is beautiful, I am happy to no longer be living there. I hate cold weather so moving down to West Texas which has no actual winter (at least not to me!) and very low humidity is fantastic! I've only been living in Texas for a year so who knows what will change, but at this point I don't think I'd want to move back to Minnesota (or anywhere in the Midwest to tell the truth). Since my family and my husband's family still live there, I'm sure we will be visiting a couple of times a year.

One thing I really don't like about Minnesota (not including the weather!) is the fact that most people from the Twin Cities area seem to think that is the only part of the state that counts. They even go so far as to say anything outside the Twin Cities is considered "outstate". I always found that very strange.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
I've lived in Ham Lake, MN my whole life. Let me tell you about Minnesota nice. Minnesota nice does not mean that Minnesotans are nice. It is a mean (but true) thing that out of towners say about Minnesotans. It means they are fake nice. They are real nice at first, for like 15 seconds, then their Swedish inherited 'why are you talking to me' attitude kicks in. So if someone calls you Minnesota nice, you should be insulted. But you probably won't say anything. Because you're Minnesotan.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotahomeboy View Post
I've lived in Ham Lake, MN my whole life. Let me tell you about Minnesota nice. Minnesota nice does not mean that Minnesotans are nice. It is a mean (but true) thing that out of towners say about Minnesotans. It means they are fake nice. They are real nice at first, for like 15 seconds, then their Swedish inherited 'why are you talking to me' attitude kicks in. So if someone calls you Minnesota nice, you should be insulted. But you probably won't say anything. Because you're Minnesotan.
well put, one of the greatest posts I've ever seen. but does this apply to all Minnesotans (presumably yourself as well) or just those filthy Swede Battre Folks.

Kranglefant Norrbagge

Last edited by Ghengis; 11-02-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,542 times
On a scale of Awesomeness, Minnesota falls midway between YouTube and Facebook.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 PM

55 posts, read 126,715 times
It's great place if you are the outdoors type of person that likes winter. Also a lot of places are very safe so you don't have to worry about your kids too much. Too the contrary of people calling it expensive it really is quite cheap compared to a lot of places. The music scene, hip-hop and indie, is very strong and it's easy to catch a good show. I think if you are the right person you will love it.

The negatives to me are that I'm not much of an outdoors person in respect to hunting. The cold really bothers me and it can be very dull. There aren't a lot of people, which for some people is great, but I like a lot of people.I Plus there isn't a huge climate for biotech start ups which is important for my career path.

The only way to know if it's for you is to try it out really. For the right people it will be great.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 AM

32 posts, read 75,395 times
I think Minnesota is quite awesome. I was raised there (I was 1 or two when we moved into MN and was there til I was 19.). I miss the winters, actually. In fact...most of what I miss has to do with the outdoors. Nothing like traipsing through the middle of the woods for me. 4-Wheeling, Snowmobiling....hell even sledding. Then in summer you can go swimming, hiking, biking...whatever! I do NOT think that Minnesota nice is a lie. people give a **** about each other far more in MN than they do for instance here in Topeka where the whole city is completely disconnected from one another and most people would just assume close their blinds then call for the cops if you were in trouble out their front doors. Even if they DID call the cops...the chances of them showing up in a timely fashion around here isn't all that great. I hate Topeka.

It all depends on what type of person you are. I like the cold and I like the trees and the lakes. Some people need more than that and that is fine, but for me personally...it doesn't get much better.

I looked at moving from Topeka to maybe Oregon or Washington except there's a few negatives for me that would be hard to deal with: The coastal regions get a lot of rain. The houses are WAY more expensive unless you live in some podunk ass town.... The I-5 Corridor has somewhat stagnant air quality from what I hear. Jobs can be hard to find- with a few big mills out of busniess in the last few years, and add to that the number of college educated people...the state is filled with people looking for jobs.

Minnesota may not be a hot bed of jobs, but the houses are more affordable..

I came from the Grand Rapids area "Up North" and never realized til later how much I really like it. I always thought it was so disconnected and in a few ways it is...but on the other hand there's Target, Wal-Mart, JCPenny's, Brewed Awakenings (one of the greatest coffee shops ever.), and plenty of other brand name places for people to shop. People fake themselves into thinking they need more and more retail but then never actually USE it... grand Rapids, IMHO has everything a person really needs, and even a little more.

Now I'm feeling all nostalgic for home.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,095 times
Its cold and crazy here. Last week it was in the 70's, next week their predicting highs in the low 20s around Thanksgiving! Nothing like being slapped in the face by an arctic blast next to let you know its winter. Fun times! (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota