Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtropx View Post
Some towns have many, many problems. From what I have seen of Minnesota, and I have lived here all my life, is that many towns are just miserable.
If you are going to live in Minnesota, a) rethink b) if you must, stay away from the aforementioned areas.

...and if the cops happen to be reading this (because I am a paranoid SOB), there is nothing you can do for these towns. Except start a really big fire.
If you haven't lived anywhere else, you have no frame of reference. I thought your post was complete BS. Except for your comment in parenthesis.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zannieman2 View Post
I grew up in Duluth in the 60's and 70's. At that time it was a great place to grow up. The winters were just too long for me. I eventually ended up in the south.
When I retire, I plan on wintering in the South and live in Minnesota for three seasons. My folks winter in TX and they love it. They winter in Mission, TX. The people in the valley are great. I don't understand a thing the say, but they seem nice.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:56 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishguymn View Post
Gosh that sure seems strange to me. And I must (although it's been done) note that the attitudes in southern California are very "every man for himself" self-centered. This is coming from someone who grew up equally in San Diego/Palm Springs, CA, and Alexandria, MN. I would pick MN 100 times over.

Throughout these forums, one finds a few folks who've had just such a terrible experience. I don't understand what went wrong for you guys, but I really wish you better luck for the future.

The other thing is that a whole bunch of people are always ragging on Minnesota Nice and how phony it is. Well, I understand being friendly to someone's face and maybe not always so much behind their backs, but don't most people do that? It's definitely not a concept unique to Minnesota. In my experience (as a Minnesotan), Minnesota Nice has always been genuine; the real deal! If a friend is sick, we're all at his/her door with soup. If someone calls you with the wrong number by accident, you can end up having a lengthy conversation with them all the same (probably comparing wrong number stories and branching off from there). In fact, I've found that Minnesotans are by far some of the friendliest folks, and we are too quick to strike up a conversation with strangers. Why, I was in a Costco in Palm Springs this March, and one of the sample ladies was so jubilant and out-going, my mom and I asked her, "Are you from the Midwest by chance?" and she says, "Silver Lake, Minnesoooota!" So there ya go! So friendly, you can spot 'em in a crowd of pushy Californians.

So I see a lot of people saying how reserved and cold we are as a people. Well, I don't know about that, though I can see how we are reserved under certain circumstances, but really we are more of a modest type of people. It's just not all about me me me. So it's not that we don't want to let "outsiders" in, you just tend not to talk about yourself as much as people might in other areas.

Naturally, as with everything, there are exceptions to all of this. I have known a fair share of rude Minnesotans myself, but they are far from the norm.

Hopefully I am not the only person who takes Minnesota Nice seriously.
Great post danishguy. I've stated on this forum before how it's interesting that when you find a genuine soul out here on the west coast you usually find out they grew up in the upper midwest. The people on the west coast may be more outgoing, but are also shallower and more materialistic.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:42 PM

48 posts, read 162,006 times
I couldn't agree more. Both my husband and I have lived in Minnesota all of our lives. We are now both senior citizens. We have traveled extensively to other states and countries. We have lived in several of the small towns in Minnesota and in both of the Twin Cities. When we travel, we often meet people who are from Minnesota or have family here. Almost without exception they agree that there's "no place like home" for forming great relationships/friendships and having people who genuinely care about you. We have no plans to move south no matter what our age.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:05 AM

180 posts, read 634,566 times
I've lived in 6 states + DC, including Minnesota for 1.5 years. Minneapolis - St. Paul is far and away the best place I've lived in. Be happy with what you have. How awesome is Minnesota? Rediculusly awesome.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 48,362 times
Born and raised in Southern California, I always knew I wanted to leave, so I traveled around the country living in various states. In 1992, I moved to Minnesota and knew that I was "home". I often hear about the difficulty in making friends if you are an outsider and I not once ever experienced that in Minnesota. To this day most of my friends are in Minnesota. I've never felt that Minnesota nice was fake... it is genuinely people being polite. People in California are very laid back, but it is a very materialistic and shallow place. Since having children of my own, I've been wanting to desperately return; however, my husband has a different feeling about winters and would be miserable. You must be able to adapt to the cold winters and Minnesotans do it better than anyone. I did and learned what a "scraper" was real quick! I think so many people are looking for so many different things in life and in a place to call home and for me Minnesota offers it all. As an avid hockey fan, it has that in abundance. As an ice skater, the feeling of skating outside alone on a pond or river is an overwhelming experience. As a human being, the politeness and welcome nature of the Minnesota people is endearing. These are qualities and values I wish my children to be brought up with. I feel as with Southern Cali there is something for everyone. There are sports, arts, shopping, dining, concerts, etc., but also you can get away to the North camping, biking, etc. However, it REALLY is the people that draw me back to the area. Minnesota IS that ridiculously awesome!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
Minnesota is a good place, I would not say great, it is not bad, but I would not use the term great. Spring through fall is pretty nice, except for the humidity and mosquitoes. Winter is almost unbearable most years. Other then that, MN is a very good place.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 PM

72 posts, read 255,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinky View Post
I disagree! We just moved here from RI and I'd lived there 7 years. (BTW, I was raised in Michigan.) Aside from the relative rudeness of East Coasters in general (it's just a different culture, not that they're *ssholes), RI was a fantastic place to live.

It's absolutely beautiful; how can you not appreciate the state with the most ocean coastline per square mile?! Oh, and the seafood.....how I miss the fresh seafood here.

I think it is the culture, and I do think they are mod cut (some, not all). Areas are beautiful (rt 4s to rt 1, all the way to Westerly, and rt 102). The fresh seafood is great. But all the smell that comes with it, and the littered beaches (if the beaches are not closed due to bacteria) are enough to make me seek out fresh water. I don't think the ocean is all it's cracked up to be. I will miss the Portuguese food though......

Last edited by golfgal; 06-10-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-10-2008, 04:41 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Winter is almost unbearable most years. Other then that, MN is a very good place.
You just need to get in to some winter activities. Snowmobiling and snowboarding make winter very bearable for me.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM

250 posts, read 991,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUWarriorsFan View Post
I don't know about anyone else who is from Minnesota, but despite all of the hick remarks about Minnesotans, I think it the best state to live and raise a family in throughout the United States. I was wondering what other people who grew up in the state think about it?
I don't know if it's the best place to live but I have grown up here and can't imagine living anywhere else. I have travelled extensively and am always glad to come home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota