Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times

Advertisements

I've never been to MN, but it intrigues me for some reason. I'm a hockey fan, and I imagine hockey as a real culture there. Hence the name Minnesota wild. In northern MI there's lots of lakes, wooded land, rolling hills, small mountains, and lots of great lakes coast, islands, etc. But what does northern MN look like, anyone ever been to the two to compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
The eastern side of the state has lakes, trees, large hills we call mountains, etc. The far western side is flat as a pancake and you can see for miles. In between there are lakes, rolling hills and lots of trees. It is lovely for the most part. It is very similar to MI.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM

33 posts, read 40,339 times
I was born and raised in Michigan, southern Michigan, and have lived in Northern lower Michigan, "Glen Arbor/Traverse City" and I currently live in Zimmerman, Minnesota, which is 35 miles North of Minneapolis. To me, Minnesota and Michigan look alike, other than Michigan is surrounded by the great lakes. Michigan and Minnesota both have the farming area's, inland lakes and heavily forested area's aswell. The only thing Michigan has that Minnesota doesn't, is really nice beaches on the great lakes, you know what I'm talking about if you've ever been to Lake Michigan or Lake Huron and so forth, miles and miles of sand beaches.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybrad77 View Post
I was born and raised in Michigan, southern Michigan, and have lived in Northern lower Michigan, "Glen Arbor/Traverse City" and I currently live in Zimmerman, Minnesota, which is 35 miles North of Minneapolis. To me, Minnesota and Michigan look alike, other than Michigan is surrounded by the great lakes. Michigan and Minnesota both have the farming area's, inland lakes and heavily forested area's aswell. The only thing Michigan has that Minnesota doesn't, is really nice beaches on the great lakes, you know what I'm talking about if you've ever been to Lake Michigan or Lake Huron and so forth, miles and miles of sand beaches.
Yeah, the only real beach I know of in Northern MN is Park Point in Duluth. The rest is rocky or mud.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
True enough, but a beach doesn't have to have sand to be enjoyable. Sometimes I prefer the "agate beaches" by the mouths of some of the rivers (like Baptism - I know, to some of you it's just a gravel bar!) for a different feel or experience. There are more rocks to skip!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,037 times
The south shore of Lake Superior (WI, MI) is certainly pretty (especially pictured rocks near Marquette) and has some nice sand beaches, but for sheer rugged beauty, you can't beat the north shore.

Overall though, yes, the UP of MI and northern MN are pretty similar in a lot of ways.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM

27 posts, read 124,104 times
I'm going to second what jaybrad77 and others have said.

Yes, they're very similar. I grew up in MI, had relatives in the northern end of the lower peninsula, and spent a lot of family family vacations within 2 hours of either side of the Mac bridge. To me, northern MN--especially the west side and middle--remind me SO much of northern MI. And in general, after living in MI for 24 years, MN feels very "familiar" and comfortable--not just in geography but in culture, folks, etc.

Tinky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota