U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,658,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrjenny View Post
I am new to the area and about to move to kato, what area do you consider North mankato and mankato. Old mankato is that where the civic center and west high is? My kid wants to go to west highschool, do we have to live within so many blocks to qualify to go there or do you know the rules? i dont know all the mankato lingo, people say uptown and I assume madison ave and not sure if it is or not, no one to ask?

I am looking for rentals or rent to own homes...I have checked all the mobile home parks already and not much luck there. I need something around $500-650 a month. A house or mobilehome, preferably not an apartment, maybe a townhome...3 bedrooms preferably.

but my 20 yr old is moving here too and needs income based low income apartments and I need to collect a list of names of place for her, if you know of any....1 or 2 bedroom, its her and a one month old baby. So one bedroom would work for awhile for her...
North Mankato used to be the area on the north and west side of the Minnesota River as it bends through town. Not sure if that is the only way to define it. I've not been a resident in Mankato since my college days, so that was a while ago.

This Mankato school district map map will give you some idea of where the grade schools are, and also which grade schools feed into the various high schools.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 AM

55 posts, read 118,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfromsouth View Post
My spouse (a physician) just got a good job offer from Mankato. We are seriously considering it.We visited Mankato in Jan and fell in love with the community / people.

We are a young couple and are planning a family soon. We plan to buy our starter home in a decent community. Our biggest fear is falling value of homes / high taxes. We have never lived in the midwest and hopefully we will like the cold winters. There is a possibility, though very little that we might move back to south in 3-5 years if we don't get used to the weather.

Could some please help me out with a list of good neighbourhoods ( both old and new )in Mankato or North Mankato that are stable or going up? Any genuine advice to would-be-first-home-buyer would be really appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!!

It's not bad at all really, I'm not sure why Dustin thinks it's so bad. I think it would be a good place to raise a family. Most of the town is safe for kids to run around in unsupervised, I did and I never felt unsafe or scared. There is a decent amount of diversity for the town size compared to other small towns in MN. All of the schools are good in my opinion. Good food at places like Pho Saigon, Mazatlan, Hindi Store, Papa Georges, and more. Also the river valley makes the scenery nice compared to the flatness of a lot of southern MN so that is nice too. There are a lot of outdoor activities and parks like Sibley (Free petting zoo and sledding hill in the winter) and spring lake (amazing for kids, has an awesome sand bottom pool too) around town and some really nice biking and walking trails. Also Minneopa is just outside of town and is a really nice state park.

As far as winter it's been somewhat random lately 2 years ago we had one of the mildest winters I've seen, it started late and ended early. Last year we got the most snow I've seen since I was 9 years old. There is stuff to do in the winter if you like snow, like skiing or snowboarding at mount kato or sledding. Kids usually love doing stuff in snow, forts... snowmen... ect...

Also the Twin Cities are only about an hour to an hour and a half away if you're looking for some urban action.

If you like suburban life I would look into the suburbs around here: Ledlie Ln/Mayan Way - Google Maps

I you like more of an urban feel I would recommend living in North Mankato around here: Unknown road - Google Maps

Or around here: E Main St - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrjenny View Post
I am new to the area and about to move to kato, what area do you consider North mankato and mankato. Old mankato is that where the civic center and west high is? My kid wants to go to west highschool, do we have to live within so many blocks to qualify to go there or do you know the rules? i dont know all the mankato lingo, people say uptown and I assume madison ave and not sure if it is or not, no one to ask?

I am looking for rentals or rent to own homes...I have checked all the mobile home parks already and not much luck there. I need something around $500-650 a month. A house or mobilehome, preferably not an apartment, maybe a townhome...3 bedrooms preferably.

but my 20 yr old is moving here too and needs income based low income apartments and I need to collect a list of names of place for her, if you know of any....1 or 2 bedroom, its her and a one month old baby. So one bedroom would work for awhile for her...
The Civic Center is in old town. West High School is excellent, but I;m not sure on the rules. Your 20 year old could find cheap housing around the University, but I don't think that is the best environment for a child. Maybe close to but not too far a way would be good. perhaps this area? Eastport Dr - Google Maps

At your price point you should be able to chose from most areas in town I would think, try looking in the places I recommended the original poster. I've lived here my whole life and I have no idea what uptown is either, I've heard it too and your probably right in saying it's on Madison and probably the shopping places around the river hill's mall too. That area is on a hill compared to North Mankato and the area around west high school.

*Alas I have grown the loathe this place, not because of anything logical. Objectively it's a very nice place for the right person. I'm just ready to move on in my life being young and looking for a faster pace and warmer winters.*

Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM

11,333 posts, read 24,658,927 times
Strange ... I could have sworn I linked to a school district map in my previous reply. You can find information about schools on the following site:

Mankato Area Public Schools

under the About menu (select the item "Map-City").

Old 10-20-2010, 04:48 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,780,290 times
Mankato is an excellent place to live. Great small town feel, with more than enough "action." There really isn't a "bad" area here. As far as apartment complexes here: Hilltop Lane and Village Place are good family-oriented apartment complexes on Hoffman Rd., on the east side of town near Victory Drive and MN-22. There is also a nameless complex near the McDonald's on Madison Ave that seems pretty nice. If you want more of a "suburban" feel, then Upper North Mankato is probably your best bet. Downtown or Lincoln Park are good areas for the "urban" feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota