Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:51 PM

409 posts, read 1,747,757 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home ever. We don't have any children, so schools aren't an issue for us, but safety is. We'd like to live in a suburban, "good" and safe neighborhood. Are there waterfront or lakeview homes in Rochester? We would prefer to purchase a new home, but we're flexible to purchasing an older home as long as it was built in 2007 or later. Here are some of the addresses we're wondering about because we found homes in the area (online). I won't give the exact house number, but here are the streets (thanks in advance for any info you can provide):

4500 block of Buckingham Dr NW
5100 block of Middlebrook Dr NW
5000 block of 51st St NW
3500 block of 48h st nw
4400 block of Starling Ln SE
44oo block of Savannah Dr NW
6100 block of Hillsboro Dr NW
3200 block of Lakeridge Dr NW
3500 block of Bridgeview Dr SE (I think someone said the SE part of the town is considered "bad")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:34 AM

We're also looking to move into a rental there to establish residency and get to know the area while we shop for homes. Are there any apartment complexes that are in "shady" areas of the town that any of you know of? These are the places of interest that came up in our search:

Georgetowne Homes Apartments (georgetown place NW in rochester)

Jordan Mills apartments (1737 48th Street NW)

Crown apatments (2850-2852 59th St NW)

Essex Park apts. (937 41st Street NW)

Any input at all about these areas of town would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM

137 posts, read 225,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
We'd like to live in a suburban, "good" and safe neighborhood.
If it looks like suburban, good, and safe neighborhood then it probably is. If you're looking at newer developments, then you shouldn't need to worry about safety at all. It only gets tricky if you look at older neighborhoods. Most of them are just as safe as the new ones, but you can't easily distinguish the good from the bad just by looking.

Quote:
Are there waterfront or lakeview homes in Rochester?
Minnesota may be the Land of 10,000 lakes, but not of them are in or anywhere near Rochester. There are some glorified drainage ditches along Cascade Creek that are generously called lakes. There actually are homes along the waterfront there. Hills and bluffs are a better bet if you want scenery. There are some neighborhoods on hills with really neat views of the city scattered around town.

Quote:
3500 block of Bridgeview Dr SE (I think someone said the SE part of the town is considered "bad")
It is true that there are some bad areas in the southeast part of town. I don't know exactly where they are, but this is not one of them. It looks like that's a new development on the edge of town in the middle of a hayfield. That would be pretty close to what it sounds like you want. I didn't check the other areas, but if they look similar to you then they would be similar.

I'm not familiar with apartments in Rochester, so I can't comment on those. I don't think I'd infer too much about the larger apartment complexes from the appearance of the surrounding neighborhoods. I'd bet that the experience depends far more on the quality of management than any other factor.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 PM

Thank you so much for all of this helpful information. I really appreciate you taking the time to give input!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Hello, everyone!

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home ever. We don't have any children, so schools aren't an issue for us, but safety is. We'd like to live in a suburban, "good" and safe neighborhood. Are there waterfront or lakeview homes in Rochester? We would prefer to purchase a new home, but we're flexible to purchasing an older home as long as it was built in 2007 or later. Here are some of the addresses we're wondering about because we found homes in the area (online). I won't give the exact house number, but here are the streets (thanks in advance for any info you can provide):

4500 block of Buckingham Dr NW
5100 block of Middlebrook Dr NW
5000 block of 51st St NW
3500 block of 48h st nw
4400 block of Starling Ln SE
44oo block of Savannah Dr NW
6100 block of Hillsboro Dr NW
3200 block of Lakeridge Dr NW
Buckingham Dr. NW. Nice friendly neighborhood.

Middlebrook Dr. NW. Haven't been in that area in quite a long time, but the newest elementary school is near there. I think it is a newer development but not super new.

51st St. NW. I don't think I've been in this area but I'm assuming it is good.

48th St. NW. This area may be a bit questionable. It seems close to an area that has had some issues in the past few years, but it may be far enough away from it that it might be okay.

Starling Lane SE. I know neighborhoods surrounding it are nice so I am assuming it is the same. The areas to the west are nice and quiet. To the east you are on the outskirts of town to out of town.

Savannah Dr. NW. Lots and lots of houses back there, roads can be confusing. Seems family friendly.

Hilsboro Dr. NW. See Savannah Dr. comment.

Lakeridge Dr. NW. I've not been in this neighborhood but seems nice from driving by.

Bridgeview Dr. SE. I don't know about this neighborhood either but this would not be a bad part of town.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
We're also looking to move into a rental there to establish residency and get to know the area while we shop for homes. Are there any apartment complexes that are in "shady" areas of the town that any of you know of? These are the places of interest that came up in our search:

Georgetowne Homes Apartments (georgetown place NW in rochester)

Jordan Mills apartments (1737 48th Street NW)

Crown apatments (2850-2852 59th St NW)

Essex Park apts. (937 41st Street NW)

Any input at all about these areas of town would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Georgetowne Homes: Don't know about this complex but is in a safe location. Close to 52 and any shopping you might need.

Jordan Mills: I've not heard anything negative about this place. Location-wise, seems fine.

Crown apartments: Don't know anything about Crown but location wise seems fine.

Essex Park: This would be the one that could be questionable on your list. I don't know if things have improved but in the past I believe they have had some issues here. Nothing that would likely be too terrible but may be worth checking out the Rochester911 mapping to look at the crime rates there.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:59 PM

This was very very helpful. Thank you so much!

Old 03-17-2016, 05:54 PM

210 posts, read 285,686 times
Quote:
Are there waterfront or lakeview homes in Rochester?
Define waterfront. You may be able to find property along the Whitewater River in the area.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:31 PM

A place overlooking a medium to large sized lake.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Can anyone tell me anything about the French Creek apartments on 2000 Chardonnay Lane Nw in Rochester? I coldn't find much about the neighborhood itself. I even tried a street view on google maps and got nothing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: