Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Florida does have hurricanes, which arguably trumps all bad weather. In my own experience though, people love to compare weather of different places (me included), but I've found that the worst weather is always the one you've grown tired of. In other words, if you've had to deal with 5 MN winters, you crave a FL summer. And if you've had 5 FL summers, you'd pay anything to experience a MN winter.

It will always be the case that the grass is greener in experiencing the weather you haven't experienced. I too have to remind myself of this. So it almost becomes not about what weather is worse, and more about the weather you haven't experienced in a long time. I can promise you that many in San Diego (near perfect weather) would kill to have 4 seasons for a few years. If you eat Lobster every night, it starts to taste an awful lot like chicken!
Lol it's not the summers in Florida I hated, but the falls. When it's 89/74 on Halloween, it flat out blows. There's no golden leaves, no sweater weather, you have to carve a pumpkin right before Halloween or it will melt. I'd say even if you don't like snow, autumn in the Midwest is worth it. Crap, I got so excited seeing the leaves change in Texas imagine seeing them here lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 04:15 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
I have survived 52 Northern Minnesota Winter's so far, and proud of it.

Winter is not that bad. It is great.

Or, it is just another day

Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
I lived in the south for 15 years before moving to MN. It was for sure a good trade off. Just being able to see the seasons change is awesome. The changes in animals, plants, trees. Its always changing and it is amazing. Verses always hot and humid with flash floods and 90 degree days in winter. Ugh.

I will admit there are things I don't love about winter. Pumping gas when its -15 and windy...not fun. But the really rough days aren't the entire winter. They seem to clump together and are followed by nicer days. Same with the heat in the summer.

The muddy early spring isn't so pretty but it gives way to an amazing show when they trees explode with color.

So it is all preference but so far I really prefer Minnesota. Looking forward to fall

Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM

I'm just here to say that I just took a nap on a couch in my porch (3 seasons screen porch) and slept very comfortably. About 80 degrees, partly cloudy, not too humid. Sure I can't do that in the middle of winter, but it's not like I could do it in the summer in Florida or Texas lol it would just be way too hot. The summer here is fantastic and it's still warm enough to be summery. I find the South's climate grossly overrated. People in South Florida brag about 3-4 months of nice weather in the 60s and 70s but then complain how hot it is the rest of the year but they still claim it's "so much better than up north." Haha right. Cuz sweating profusely for 9 months is better than having to wear layers for 3-4 months.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:13 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
The joke about two season though ("Winter and construction") is starting to make so much sense to me.

Construction has gotten out of control though. I've been driving for 20 years and I don't recall anything as bad as last year and this year, construction wise. Every day leaving home for work is like a brand new adventure, what with all the various construction you didn't expect to run in to.

Governor Goofy is a hoot!

Old 08-22-2017, 12:36 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySwish View Post
Man I've lived in Minnesota all my life and the people saying the weather in the winter isn't that bad are insane!
While I happen to dislike Minnesota winters, whether or not they are good or bad is entirely subjective.

Quote:
Winters here are horrible! Have you ever drove in the snow? It can take a few years off your life, with how icy and tricky winter driving can be.
Yes, I have. For over 30 years. You get used to it. Really, I haven't experienced any white-knuckle driving in several years. Once you've been through a winter, it's just another skill one acquires.

Quote:
I would take Floridas heat over Minnesota winters any day!
And that's your subjective preference. As much as I dislike winters here, I prefer this climate to that of Florida - not the heat but the humidity. But I do not presume that because, someone else will or should.

Quote:
The pay in Florida does suck I give you that. But palm trees vs pine trees no contest.
There are lots of pine trees in Florida, you know. Those three National Forests down there? They're dominated by conifers. As for Minnesota, the northwest third of the state is pine-dominated (with a lot of birches as well) but the rest of the state is deciduous and prairie/farmland.

"But! But! Palm trees!" is pretty weak sauce.

Quote:
I repeat the extreme winters SUCK here don't let people fool you! Come and visit in Jan- Feb when its -10 but feels like -40 because of the wind chill.
It only hit -10F in Minneapolis twice last year, December 17th and 18th. I don't recall the first day, but the second - a Sunday that I remember well - it was utterly still, without so much as a breeze. No wind chill. As it often is when very cold.

Quote:
Its your choice but don't think that the winters here are not bad, your just trading one extreme for another one. If Black ice and pot holes on the road and the constant road construction sound good come on up here!
The whole subjective thing still seems to elude you.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:14 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Winter vs summer, warm vs cold is so subjective person to person. I live in the far NW corner of Minnesota up by Crookston/Thief River Falls. Minneapolis is a warm area of the state compared to up my way. But I know people who grew up here get cold at 20 and hate it and who love the heat (above 90). Same as those who love the colder weather and hate the heat.... I am the later ... cannot wait for the colder season.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
But palm trees vs pine trees no contest.
Stately pine trees with cute little squirrels in them vs. palm trees which are basically huge weeds infested with giant flying cockroaches?

No contest, indeed.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
While I happen to dislike Minnesota winters, whether or not they are good or bad is entirely subjective.

Yes, I have. For over 30 years. You get used to it. Really, I haven't experienced any white-knuckle driving in several years. Once you've been through a winter, it's just another skill one acquires.

And that's your subjective preference. As much as I dislike winters here, I prefer this climate to that of Florida - not the heat but the humidity. But I do not presume that because, someone else will or should.

There are lots of pine trees in Florida, you know. Those three National Forests down there? They're dominated by conifers. As for Minnesota, the northwest third of the state is pine-dominated (with a lot of birches as well) but the rest of the state is deciduous and prairie/farmland.

"But! But! Palm trees!" is pretty weak sauce.

It only hit -10F in Minneapolis twice last year, December 17th and 18th. I don't recall the first day, but the second - a Sunday that I remember well - it was utterly still, without so much as a breeze. No wind chill. As it often is when very cold.

The whole subjective thing still seems to elude you.
There's still a good amount of pines in southern MN too as well, though. I start to notice an increase of pines by northern Iowa. That's what I like about Minnesota though, you have a lot of deciduous trees but plenty of pines to "spruce" it up. Palm trees are boring to me. Only fun on vacation.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:52 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There's still a good amount of pines in southern MN too as well, though. I start to notice an increase of pines by northern Iowa. That's what I like about Minnesota though, you have a lot of deciduous trees but plenty of pines to "spruce" it up. Palm trees are boring to me. Only fun on vacation.
Most Minnesota conifer species do not naturally range as far south as the Twin Cities. Fewer still range further south, and those that do are mostly limited to southeastern Minnesota. Most pines down here are introduced.

And I refuse to join some absurd 'Our trees are better than yours!' argument, nor will I pretend to dislike palm trees just because some contrarian likes them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota