Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 04:19 PM

92 posts, read 127,995 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both native Floridians. We reside in SW Florida which on any given day has the highest humidity and highest real feel temperature in the country. This Halloween, kids were requesting ice water instead of candy. 75% of the year we are soaked head to toe after running(even at 5 am or 9pm)

We are both avid runners, and enjoy other sports as well. We have 2 daughter, ages 4 and 14. 14 year old is a cross country and track runner, 4 year old is a gymnast for now. We have zero interest in boating on the gulf, the lame beach, or fishing or anything at all to do with SW FL.

We have visited Minneapolis twice in the Summers and loved it. We ran in many beautiful parks. We enjoyed how clean the city and town was, and we definitely experienced "Minnesota NICE ". Also the people seem markedly more active and fit. I saw more people exercising outside in 10 minutes than i did in 10 years in SW FL. I am amazed that MN has 24 indoor tracks for our track star to train when too cold. And kayaking on the lakes were fantastic.

So, my question is: has anyone moved from a warm weather climate to be more active in MN? Are the winters easily adaptable? We are looking forward to learning how to cross country ski. But concerned about kids staying active. I am assuming lots of indoor arenas for soccer, lacrosse.... We looked at homes in Maple Grove and liked the area....

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Our friends and family look at us like we are crazy that we think we can have a happier and more active life in MN.

JJTT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 06:17 PM

370 posts, read 902,852 times
The weather is only one part of the equation. There are other places that you can play at winter activities and enjoy cultural events. My advice would be to RENT for a year, but only if you must. Seriously, no one *needs* six months of winter coupled with social isolation.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
no one needs to heed ridiculous advice either

Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Very many people stay active in the winter in Minnesota.

First, bike trails do get plowed after heavy snowfalls and there are quite a few people who bike winter long (there are special fat tired bikes for winter biking but I've seen people on normal bikes as well). You will also see joggers running outside all year round.

Second, with abundant parkways and frozen lakes there is plenty of space for cross country skiing, pond hockey, ice skating, snowshoeing, sledding, etc. Also, as I've mentioned in another post, there's always skijoring! https://www.threeriversparks.org/act...skijoring.aspx

Yes, there are lots of indoor play fields and/or tracks - in fact there are at least 4 that I know of within 5 miles of my house in south Minneapolis.

And finally, the Twin Cities fall within the top 3-4 cities in the U.S. for performing arts of many varieties. Going to shows may not equal physical activities but it's certainly great during the tough winter months.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
The weather is only one part of the equation. There are other places that you can play at winter activities and enjoy cultural events. My advice would be to RENT for a year, but only if you must. Seriously, no one *needs* six months of winter coupled with social isolation.
No one needs 10 months of summer, either.

6 months of winter? Winter is not "any month where it snows for a day." April is not winter in Minnesota.. November either. There's only 3 solid months of winter and parts of other months where it is cold but still reaches above freezing. If anything, Minnesota has a perfect balance of seasons with a slight bias towards cold. Go to upper Canada if you want "6 months of winter."

Old 06-29-2016, 03:08 PM

137 posts, read 225,402 times
First of all, I would not recommend moving to Minnesota strictly for the climate. I would, however, say that Minnesota is a strong option to escape heat and humidity. Just be sure to look at other aspects of lifestyle in Minnesota and look at other places that also have a more preferable climate to you. There are plenty of other reasons to want to live in Minnesota and there are plenty of other places less muggy than Florida.

Second, it's not fair to compare summer in Florida to summer in Minnesota. The fair comparison is July in Florida to January in Minnesota. Both climates feature a few months that just about everybody will like. Both feature a few months that most will find too extreme. If you can find more to enjoy about Minnesota winter than summer in Florida, then you're on the right track. The fact that you're active and want to try should be all you.

Third, the intermediate seasons are probably the most important to consider. How do you feel about mid 60's and sunny? What about the 50's? How would you like cloudy, 40's, and lightly raining? Perceptions and preferences for these conditions explain why some will claim Minnesota has six (or more) months of winter while others say it's only three. If a jog on a crisp fall morning sounds fun to you, then you'll do just fine with Minnesota's climate.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Thank you all for your kind responses.
Minneapolis area has everything I am looking for, I am just a little concerned about the extreme cold and length of cold. Not really concerned about myself, I am concerned about wife and 2 daughters. But, I spoke to many locals when I was there, and have read weather history, and seems all good to me.

We looked at houses in Maple Grove. It seemed like a nice area, with nice new houses. It was just shocking to see houses without pools in the back yard. We even toured the local high school. We really liked it. We will think about it a bit, because a move would be a huge deal(selling house, getting medical license in MN etc....)

Old 06-29-2016, 03:35 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
No one needs 10 months of summer, either.

6 months of winter? Winter is not "any month where it snows for a day." April is not winter in Minnesota.. November either. There's only 3 solid months of winter and parts of other months where it is cold but still reaches above freezing. If anything, Minnesota has a perfect balance of seasons with a slight bias towards cold. Go to upper Canada if you want "6 months of winter."

I would think moving from Florida to Minnesota is in a way "jumping from the frying pan into the fire"....figuratively speaking.

You're talking going from one extreme to the other. Why not find something in between ? I've been to Florida in the Summer and I agree.....the high humidity sucks ! I don't mind heat, but it's the humidity that makes it intolerable.

Find a dryer climate and you'll be much happier. When Minnesota gets heat, it's almost always humid, by Minnesota standards anyway. Our heat typically always comes up from the Gulf of Mexico....and with it comes a slightly moderated Gulf humidity. When we get a somewhat rare "zonal" flow form the west, we get heat and lower humidity and it's delightful. But, more often than not, if you get heat, you'll get humidity in Minnesota.

Definitions are in the eye of the beholder. Some say it's not Winter when it's 33 degrees, 1 degree above freezing. I disagree. If you can't do Summer activities.....comfortably, it's Winter :-) Up in the Northern part of Minnesota, we don't get much Spring. It goes from cold/cool, rainy and gloomy to a warmer weather "Summer" type pattern in a day or two and all of a sudden, about mid to late June, Summer arrives. In mid to the later half of August, you'll wake up that first morning and when I hear my wife use the phrase, "it feels crisp this morning"....I know Summer is on the downhill slide.....lol.

Fall can be a beautiful season in Minnesota with lower humidity, clear skies and mild temps. What tempers my enjoyment of Fall is knowing that 6 months of Winter are soon to follow. Kind of like the day before you are having a root canal done on your tooth. It may be a wonderful day, but every time you think of the root canal coming the next day, you get a sinking feeling.....lol. Actually, just like that !

Old 06-29-2016, 05:07 PM

Jasper,
Thank you for your kind response. Minneapolis just seems to have so much to offer. #1 park system in the county, and St. Paul is #2, you have a city, but not huge like NYC, LA, or CHi. You have nice rural areas as well. The people are so much younger and more fit than SW FL.
So we will see what we decide. I cant find a city with 100% of everything I am looking for, but Minneapolis may be the winner.
My wife refuses to go to Pacific NW, and I am not aware of any other place in the NE or Mid west that has everything Minneapolis has.
And NC is a little too humid I think.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 AM

442 posts, read 496,246 times
I would say the only 'horrible' months here are January and February, and some of the days within can be wonderful. Even on the horrible days, you can still be outside, being active.

We are a very active metropolis - people are always out moving around, no matter the weather. I work in a downtown, and on my commute in, even in sub-zero February, people are on the trails walking/biking/cross country skiing their way to work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota