U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Minnesota north of St. Cloud split into a different state?
Yes 3 6.98%
No 40 93.02%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM

125 posts, read 151,357 times

Advertisements

I saw a post on Reddit talking about northern Minnesota being its own state. Seemed kind of interesting.
I guess there is a point. Northern Minnesota is simply too cold, even in the summer. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a different enough climate from northern Minnesota and should not get dragged into this "nation's icebox" stereotype. Sure, Minneapolis and St. Paul still have cold winters but not comparable to northern Minnesota. Some people perhaps in Minneapolis-St. Paul and southern Minnesota don't want to be associated with the "nation's icebox" stereotype either.

What do you think? Should northern Minnesota and southern Minnesota split off into two states?

http://www.reddit.com/r/minnesota/co...cloud_perhaps/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 AM

23,783 posts, read 27,232,328 times
I vote for Nimrod as the new capital of the soon-to-be-created state of Uff-Da

Old 07-12-2016, 08:37 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,298,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
I saw a post on Reddit talking about northern Minnesota being its own state. Seemed kind of interesting.
I guess there is a point. Northern Minnesota is simply too cold, even in the summer. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a different enough climate from northern Minnesota and should not get dragged into this "nation's icebox" stereotype. Sure, Minneapolis and St. Paul still have cold winters but not comparable to northern Minnesota. Some people perhaps in Minneapolis-St. Paul and southern Minnesota don't want to be associated with the "nation's icebox" stereotype either.

What do you think? Should northern Minnesota and southern Minnesota split off into two states?

http://www.reddit.com/r/minnesota/co...cloud_perhaps/
Northern Minnesota is way more than that, much much more to be exact.

Last edited by demtion35; 07-12-2016 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 06:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 6,852,962 times
How would the Twin Cities ever survive financially without all the money siphoned off there from the Iron Range?

What would Northern Minnesota do if it were to get to keep the money generated in the area instead of losing most of it to the Urban metro?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,532,358 times
I live in far NW MN and not split though I know many would love to be taken over by North Dakota along the border cities

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Status: "Mall of America has blood on their hands" (set 14 days ago)

7,039 posts, read 5,358,521 times
This is the stupidest reason I've ever heard for a state splitting up. I've heard some dumb reasons like "political differences" but.. because one area is colder?

There is not enough cultural or geographical differences in the state to warrant a split. If anything, both Dakotas should merge.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM

10,833 posts, read 8,903,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
I guess there is a point. Northern Minnesota is simply too cold, even in the summer. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a different enough climate from northern Minnesota and should not get dragged into this "nation's icebox" stereotype.
Huh?

The annual mean temperature in Minneapolis is 46 degrees. In Duluth it's 39 degrees. That's not a significant difference. Minnesota is a flat, mid-continental state. It has less temperature variation than most states.

Quote:
Sure, Minneapolis and St. Paul still have cold winters but not comparable to northern Minnesota. Some people perhaps in Minneapolis-St. Paul and southern Minnesota don't want to be associated with the "nation's icebox" stereotype either.
Really?

There are actually people who give two rips about the whole 'nation's icebox' thing? On the list of issues in my life, that one is somewhere between the problem of belly-button lint and the fact that I can't find New Coke anymore.

Quote:
Sure, why not? Let's spend a billion or so dollars on the logistical untangling of north from south, on establishing another new state capitol, and duplicating all state services because someone in Mankato is all bent over the way International Falls pitches itself to the country.

Other problems:
*The legislature would never approve it.
*Congress would never approve it.
*As in most states, urban areas provide disproportionate revenues for non-urban areas. The new northern state would thus find itself financially strapped, which is why it would never support statehood [see below].

Quote:
Perception aside, the numbers show the Twin Cities metro counties are the state’s economic engine, generating tax dollars that flow outward to every corner of the state. A June 2014 report by nonpartisan House Research shows the seven metro counties of Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott and Washington generate considerably more tax revenue than the other 80 counties combined.

In 2010, the latest year comprehensive numbers were available, those metro counties contained 53.7 percent of the state’s population but accounted for 63.8 percent of all state tax receipts. For spending, the split reversed, with 52.8 percent of state spending goes to the metro, while the remainder went to outstate Minnesota.
Urban-rural split in Minnesota grows deeper and wider - StarTribune.com

Old 07-13-2016, 07:57 AM

871 posts, read 1,013,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
How would the Twin Cities ever survive financially without all the money siphoned off there from the Iron Range?

What would Northern Minnesota do if it were to get to keep the money generated in the area instead of losing most of it to the Urban metro?
Actually, the metro area keeps the rest of the state afloat. The GDP for the state of Minnesota in 2014 was $320 billion, the metro area contribution was $235 billion.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MNNGSP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

Furthermore, between LGA, health care expenses, and infrastructure costs shared by a smaller, older populace in northern Minnesota, the state spends more per capita on rural Minnesota (including northern Minnesota) than the metro region.

Metro vs. outstate: Which counties pay most taxes and which get most aid? - StarTribune.com

and

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/pubs/msa2014.pdf

Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM

137 posts, read 210,076 times
Anybody from the coastal and southern states ignorant enough to be fooled by this idea already thinks that Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota are a single state somewhere near Canada.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM

4,333 posts, read 6,155,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I vote for Nimrod as the new capital of the soon-to-be-created state of Uff-Da
Yup, I'll just hang out at the Capital, it's only 9 miles from me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota