Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:39 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The people you really have to watch out for are all them scurry Norwegians.

(I think 54 doesn't want any more Texans up here.)
Well they can rest easy then, because we're from Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The people you really have to watch out for are all them scurry Norwegians.

(I think 54 doesn't want any more Texans up here.)
LOL. I don't mind really! MN is a great place to live and Roch has been voted #1 city in the US. My main office is there...My snarky answers are just a response to her questions. Just sack it all up and move, that small stuff you are worried about will take care of it's self.......

2016 Ranking of Top 100 Best Places to Live in America | Livability | Best Small to mid-sized U.S. Cities to Live

P.S. If your better half is a journeymen electrician PM me I have a job for him maybe....

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 AM

Just for the record, I'm a he married to a she.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Here is as much as I know. In general, MN scores are better in there for the most part (relatively speaking), there aren't many really bad schools (most cities have the good school on one side of town, and the bad school on the other side of town, no so with MN). I remember that with my nephew, the school discovered some of his special needs light autism and need for glasses well before we did. He had special help through 18, and now that he is 18, he has one on one attention to help him interview and find a job suitable to his needs. AP classes are pushed in highschool for high achievers. We have the highest ACT scores in the country.

As for Rochester, it's a uniquely prosperous city on the plains. While not a huge city, it is always thriving and humming due to high paying jobs supporting Mayo, the U of M (rochester campus), and IBM. And it's very affordable. In the winter, it is cold like the Twin Cities, but the wind is much stronger in Rochester. And for all your big needs, the twin cities are just over an hour away.

Personally it's too small a city for me, but among cities of its size, it's one of the thriving ones. And the area south and east of Rochester (St. Croix river valley (red wing, lake city, etc), and the Root River Valley) is very beautiful. Within a half hour you can get to beautiful limestone river bluffs that overlook the water, it's very pretty (Rochester itself is very flat, open, and boring from a natural beauty perspective however).

Old 11-07-2016, 09:52 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
My research is also bringing up a lot of stuff about Minnesota being a breeding ground for terrorism. What the heck is up with that?

Sorry if I seem paranoid. Just trying to make a good, safe decision for my family, so if I see stuff that calls safety into question I will ask about it.

Really like everything else I'm hearing about Rochester, though.
We are home to many Somali immigrants, many of whom are Muslim, and thus they are targeted/recruited heavily by radical terrorists overseas. In general, ground zero for this activity is the cedar-riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis, where I believe 25,000+ Somalis live in multi-colored apartment projects known locally as "the crack stacks"(feel free to google "crack stacks cedar-riverside).

Old 11-07-2016, 11:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Just for the record, I'm a he married to a she.
opps

Old 11-07-2016, 10:09 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,404,508 times
I don't have much to add other than I find it interesting that you seem to be afraid of radiation, but you chose to be a radiologist as a career.

Maybe you could find an older house that's covered in lead paint to protect your family from the radiation. I'm just being a smart ass. I think you should go for the move. The Rochester area is one of the safest cities of its size anywhere, try not to over think it.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I don't have much to add other than I find it interesting that you seem to be afraid of radiation, but you chose to be a radiologist as a career.

Maybe you could find an older house that's covered in lead paint to protect your family from the radiation. I'm just being a smart ass. I think you should go for the move. The Rochester area is one of the safest cities of its size anywhere, try not to over think it.
I'm a CT tech, not a radiologist. I sit behind lead lined walls, doors, and glass as I perform exams. The radiologist is the one who interprets the exams. My concerns about living near nuclear plants are out of concern for my family's safety as a whole. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if anyone in the vicinity has any concerns about the plant. Any radiation I receive on the job would pale in comparison to what could be delivered to our entire household if a nuclear plant wasn't operating properly. There's a plant in Arkansas where we often vacation that's close to being shut down because of consistently poor safety records. I wouldn't live within 50 miles of that plant if someone gave me a house there. My research indicates that the Red Wing plant is much safer, but I'm still going to ask about it because I would rather overthink than underthink when it comes to our safety at every opportunity, and I'm more than willing to take any heat (no pun intended) that comes my way as a result of that.

Again, as for Rochester itself, we are loving what we have discovered about the town thus far.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
We are home to many Somali immigrants, many of whom are Muslim, and thus they are targeted/recruited heavily by radical terrorists overseas. In general, ground zero for this activity is the cedar-riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis, where I believe 25,000+ Somalis live in multi-colored apartment projects known locally as "the crack stacks"(feel free to google "crack stacks cedar-riverside).
That's kind of scary. Not that there aren't terror threats in every major U.S. city by now.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Rochester itself is very flat, open, and boring from a natural beauty perspective.
You've never been to North Texas, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota