Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

82 posts, read 365,151 times

Advertisements

Since I no longer live in MN, I now miss, or will miss: The one screen movie theater in my home town that shows movies a month after they are released. Beautiful fall days, the smell of woodsmoke and wet leaves on the ground, needing a jacket in the morning, the first snow, the drone of snowmobiles in the distance when I stay at my mom and dads in NC MN, festivals celebrating the dead of winter, dripping eaves when the sun is finally warm enough to melt the snow on the roof. People, people, people everywhere in those first euphoric days of spring, when 60 degrees seems like the tropics, watching plants come to life after a long winter, opening the windows to air out the house on a spring day, the lakes in the summer, summer festivals and farmers markets, county fairs, and when summer turns to fall and 60 degrees is now "a bit chilly". And Target. Do I ever miss Target. And dollar stores.

From Duluth, I miss the sound of football games on a crisp, clear Friday night(lived in Denfeld for 3 years, 1/2 block from Public School Stadium)the sound of the foghorn and North Shore Scenic Railway, Sammy's Pizza and the sound of slapshots at Portman ice rink(lived in Lakeside for 8 years). Cheese Steak French and Grandma's, a summer evening dinner on the patio at Hacienda del Sol(is that still there?), pulling over on Seven Bridges Road to cool off in a pool on Lester River on a 95 degree July day, that panicy descent down Mesaba or Lake after the year's first snow, the excitement of Grandma's marathon, a burger, fries and hilariously rotten service at The Anchor, okay, that is Superior, but the Anchor rocks! My husband pretending to go into the Saratoga every time we are in Canal Park, and that every time we are on the lakewalk and get to the rocky beach by the murals, my kids go in just to get their feet wet and end up soaked from head to toe. The delicious aroma coming from Amazing Grace when you walk by. Driving thru UMD to see how much it has changed since I went there. Szechuan chicken at Chef Yees. That gorgeous lake.

In the Cities, I miss/will miss the first carousel ride of the year at Como, spending a day in Stillwater, the apple orchards in the fall, the chicken salad croissant at The Q, awesome thrift stores. Marshalls. Going to El Burrito on Sunday mornings so my husband can get his menudo(ew), the kids can get their super good, old school, lard in the recipe giant cookies, and I can get chorizo and tamales. Walking across the Wabasha brige on my lunch break and taking in the view of St. Paul from the other side. Rice park all lit up around the holidays, the sound of hockey at the rink by Landmark and Candyland. The long, but incredibly fast moving line at Chipotle. Hot Apple Blast from Caribou. The ORIGINAL Coney Island and Mickeys. The excitement of Wild game nights. Always excellent concert lineups. Cities sampler tunes. The prices of Cub, the charm and class of Kowalski's. The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes. The Albertville Outlets. The Mall of America. Mpls and St. Paul skylines, the State theater, Acme Comedy Co, the Fine Line. The many grand, old homes and urban architecture, and of course, the State Fair, its cute commercials and anticipation, to the people watching and oh, the food.

No matter where my life takes me, Minnesota will always hold my family, heart and fondest memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM

33 posts, read 40,296 times
Very nice. Makes me miss my hometown!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:24 PM

23 posts, read 66,965 times
Where do you live now? Why not come back, it sounds like you really miss it? To me there is nothing more important than being happy with where you live.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 PM

82 posts, read 365,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymanl67 View Post
Where do you live now? Why not come back, it sounds like you really miss it? To me there is nothing more important than being happy with where you live.
I live in Hawaii. About as different as possible from Minnesota. Not a bad place to live(especially during the winter doldrums)but I hope to get back to Minnesota, or at least the Midwest within a few years.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:10 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
I love the change of seasons here; the fact that winters can be harsh gives a person permission to hole-up for 2-3 months or go hog-wild and get out and enjoy the cold. I think the one down-side of MN is that we do get cabin fever (usually the end of January, beginning of Feb.) but often can't take a break until the annual "spring break;" and maybe that's why so many non-Minnesotans exaggerate about the length of winters here.

IMHO, spring break is usually about 1 month too late.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,990 times
Default why move?

Did you move to Hawaii with the intention of moving back to the midwest after a few years or did living in Hawaii make you feel as if it wasn't what you were looking for to live permanantly? Just curious, I'm from Wisconsin(20yrs) and really miss it, but I married a southern man and have lived in Georgia(14yrs), my husband has recently been looking to transfer to Hawaii, everyone we have talked to says "Its an opportunity of a lifetime, take it."
What do you say? I noticed you recently just moved there and was wondering your take.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM

103 posts, read 620,439 times
Minnesota will always be one of my favourite places that we lived.

Right now we are living in Scotland and planning a move to Maine this summer.

We lived in Rochester and it is the nicest town with the nicest people. It will always hold fond memories for me!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM

38 posts, read 164,381 times
One thing I like (Or will like) about Mn, is when I see it in my rear view on my way to my next job in October......

Old 05-03-2008, 01:55 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1964 View Post
One thing I like (Or will like) about Mn, is when I see it in my rear view on my way to my next job in October......
Just out of curiosity: Where are you headed?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:21 AM

38 posts, read 164,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Just out of curiosity: Where are you headed?
Yakama, Wa............ Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota