Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 41,124 times

Advertisements

Another example of the failure of the state to provide safe travel while not allowing us to use safe tires.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/1...s-of-minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
absolute nonsense ! Buy a set of "snow" tires and put them on in the winter, way way better than studded tires..
You DO realize that "snow" tires are pinned for studs? Those little holes in the tread.... those are for studs. You aren't going to put studs in Regular tires.
So, you get the benefit of snow traction AND ice traction.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:46 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
this seems to be a one trick pony for the OP, go into a ditch again today?

everyone else knows to drive under the appropriate conditions

Old 12-28-2019, 05:23 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoncoon View Post
Another example of the failure of the state to provide safe travel while not allowing us to use safe tires.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/1...s-of-minnesota
Stay home. We don’t need to tearing up the roads with your studded tires just so you can make a run to Taco Bell.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:16 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
I remember my dad swapping tires in the fall to studs when we lived in I Falls when I was a kid. Just ripped the roads up leaving grooves that were unsafe in the summer. One of the biggest advances that makes studs less needed was front wheel drive. More than a few times I was on black ice unknowingly but with front drive there was none of the back trying to get to the front like with rear wheel.

I was coming home to Mpls from Duluth one night and it was bitterly cold. Near Hinkley the car engine made a weird sound. I looked at the dashboard and I saw the speedometer going back and forth from 65 to over a hundred mph. Almost simultaneously I noticed a bunch of cars in the ditch. I was on black ice, but I clicked off the cruise and drove through it. Front drive

Old 12-29-2019, 07:26 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoncoon View Post
All states (even Minnesota) allow out of state vehicles to drive with studded tires temporarily.
Wow.

Nearly three years after your last post, you return... to post to the same thread that has received 10 of the 13 posts you've ever made.

Will you be back in the year 2022?

Anyway, of the 50 states Minnesota has the second-lowest vehicular fatality rate:
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state

As an aside, studded tires in total cost more human lives than they save:
https://newatlas.com/studded-snow-tires-impact/56594/
https://research.chalmers.se/publica...4-d988689b4dd2

Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
According to last year's report icy factors are fourth on the list of accident causes in MN.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/rep...rash-facts.pdf (see page 24.)

Dry conditions are responsible for about 250 deaths and about 50,000 crashes as opposed to approximately 8,000 crashes and 19 deaths for icy conditions.

MN ranks well in safe driving statistics and records show an annual improvement. From my perception the key factor during the winter is moderating your driving to the road conditions. Far too many people speed.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:21 PM

Default Updated technology and more current information

https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/debunk...studded-tires/

Old 01-09-2022, 12:45 PM

I'm not advocating for studded tires for my own behalf. I personally SEE AND RESPOND to the results of our government's failure to meet their obligation to provide public safe roadways in the winter. So many accidents, injuries and deaths, completely preventable.
I am not saying that people don't need to use common sense when driving, nor that they shouldn't drive slower. I don't get in wrecks in the winter. But would it not be better to have the choice to use studded tires if you opt to?
I would like to hear ANYONE who has posted in defense of the ban on studs honestly say that they have NEVER slid past a stop sign, turn, or strayed from their lane, due to ice.
The option to not drive IS an option, however the option to starve and freeze in your home are also options.
And in response to the CHALMERS B.S. AGENDA BIASED STUDY, you could just as easily make that argument about salt, besides any number of technological advancements. DID YOU EVEN READ THE ARTICLE?? If so, I am sorry for your naivete and total willingness to believe utter B.S

Old 01-09-2022, 03:28 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
I would not allow studded tires. What i would do is make it mandatory that everyone install winter tires no later than Nov 1. Based on what I have experienced in Ontario, where they have this requirement, this will help a lot more than studs. The people that would use studded tires most likely are already good winter drivers. The poor drivers, or those with bald or summer tires, would not change. If everyone had to comply, and people stayed off the roads when necessary, there would be no benefit to studs. And it would prevent the very expensive damage to the roadways, as well as noise pollution, that prompted the ban in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota