Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 PM

15 posts, read 41,124 times

Advertisements

How many critical /fatal vehicle accidents occur every year due to icy conditions? Due to faulty components? (Brakes, lights, wheel bearings, etc.) Damaged by salt?
Debris in roadways, fallen off of deteriorated vehicles?
Salt is damaging to our roads! What happens to the water after the salt melts the snow/ice? It runs into the cracks and then refreezes! What does water do when it freezes? IT EXPANDS!
Salt ruins our cars! (No explanation needed) making them unsafe in many cases
Salt is BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!
Many Minnesota lakes have seriously elevated levels of salt! AND IT'S GETTING WORSE!
Salt use on roads is increasing every year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 02:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoncoon View Post
How many critical /fatal vehicle accidents occur every year due to icy conditions? Due to faulty components? (Brakes, lights, wheel bearings, etc.) Damaged by salt?
Salt is damaging to our roads! What happens to the water after the salt melts the snow/ice? It runs into the cracks and then refreezes! What does water do when it freezes? IT EXPANDS!
Many Minnesota lakes have seriously elevated levels of salt! AND IT'S GETTING WORSE!
this is a horrible idea

Old 12-18-2016, 11:22 AM

357 posts, read 443,331 times
Minnesota used to have studded tires. I think they were banned during the late 60's because they tore up the roads

Old 12-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this is a horrible idea
Please, give some facts/reasons to support your opinion

Old 12-18-2016, 02:14 PM

Ten states prohibit metal-studded snow tires: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland (except in five mountainous counties), Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin

Old 12-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Studded Tires: The new style to look for

How about these tires?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:21 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
About 95% of your argument assumes we would no longer use or use less salt if we allowed studded tires. Salt use would not decrease if we allowed studded tires because most cars would not have them. Road conditions need to be maintained with 'most cars' in mind.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I remember seeing rutted roads all over Ft Collins, CO when I lived there years ago. Same with Alaska when I lived in Anchorage. The areas outside of these cities they would come in handy, but not within the cities that I saw first hand. We don't have mountains here or areas with high snowfall totals, but I could see Duluth, and maybe areas north of it being more viable.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
I used studded tires in the 60's.
They sure help a lot in winter driving.

I , also ,realize that winters take a toll on Minnesota roads and road upkeep is very costly $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I see the reasoning for banning them ( road damage) and think it is a moot point to talk about bringing them back.
Not gonna happen !

Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Please, give some facts/reasons to support your opinion
Studded tires were banned because they chew up the roads. Read this. http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewc...ext=roadschool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota