Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,452 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, what are the people in the cities going to do when the oil runs out? Living in such a big city, a person should not have to drive 45 minutes to one hour each way to work. The pollution and oil consumption from each individual doing that is causing the great state of Minnesota and parts of Canada to be sucked into the pollution disaster that is occuring everyday in Minnesota. I would like to see the people in the cities keep their population and pollution down there, before all of Minnesota ends up dirty and polluted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 AM

59 posts, read 212,459 times
Speeding up to prevent lane change is prevalent down here in ATL, and in Phoenix, too. Down here, they also don't know what right of way is, run stop lights all the time and think the double yellow lines are just there for decoration.
Drivers in Midwestern cities, in general, are better than the jackasses down here.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 PM

55 posts, read 305,343 times
Default Statistics are unrelliable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman resue View Post
This will sum up the the drivers. Most polite in the Nation! In 10 years of metro cycling I had not had one close call. Miami tops rude drivers list - USATODAY.com
Minneapolis-St. Paul was rated the most courteous city in 2006, but it slipped to the middle of the list this year. From the Survey on USA Today

You see? In just one year it dropped to the middle of the list... Imagine in 10 yrs since the last time I was there was in 1998...

These surveys don't really hold water...besides they can be rigged according to
local interests... So, that's why this Forum stands for... At least you're hearing from someone who has no interest telling you lies...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 AM

31 posts, read 153,289 times
Default scandinavian legacy?

Hi everyone.

I am a scandinavian living in scandianvia, so please forgive any misspellings.
I enjoyed reading the thraead about menneapolis and is was written is has a strong scandinavian legacy.

Quote:
Minnesota nice is an urband legend-- it's real definition is "let me be nice to your face, but I'll talk crap about you - when you're not around.. just for fun- and don't expect a direct answer because I'll be passive agressive with you, because of my sensitive feelings and I don't want to hurt yours, at least not to your face".

I think the qoute about minnesota nice also fits any scannavian, though we danes think the Swedes are even more cold than us, and the Norwegians even worse. We are quite reserved, polite and we would go out of our way not to embarres ourselves or any other. There is a lot of hidden information and things not said in our 2culture2 and it can be very hard for new comers. But on the positive. we are honest, hard working and we value the few firens we have very much.

Ans when we drink alcohol, the inner Wiking appears - but that is annother story.
So perhaps there is a lot of 2scaninavian" in the way people are in minnesota??

Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,305 times
Quote:
So perhaps there is a lot of 2scaninavian" in the way people are in minnesota??
Yes, c jessen, there is a LOT of scandinavian cultural traits in the way many Minnesotans act!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Are the people in the cities also "scandinavian" in their attitude to alcohol, sex and marriage and so on.
By "scandinavian" i mean fairly liberal and relaxed (remember the finnish people invented the sauna) about such things.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 AM

That's a lot harder to answer; especially since I don't know much about the Scandinavian attitude about those things; and as far as Minnesotans, I can only speak for the people I know.

I'll put it this way: most of the Minnesotans I know attend church at least half time, believe in marriage, and many drink alcohol socially (I rarely drink, however). As far as sex: "ya, shure, you betcha," we've heard of that too!

(We're not fans of public displays of affection, but who knows what happens behind closed doors?)

Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Hi again.
Well most danes believe in marriage too, but most people live together a long time before marriage, and it i very normal in the young generation (born after '68) to have children togeher and live like a married couple and so on wothout being married.

Most danes are members of the danish lutheran church but not very many attend church. Drinking is also a social thing, but for young danes and at christmas time (called "jul") there will be officeparties and friends parties whre heavy drinking takes place - i think it is a wiking left-over :-)

We do also not kiss and hug at hello or goodbye - a handshake must be enough :-)

Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM

One of the things a lot of Minnesotans don't realize is that MN doesn't recognize "common law" marriage; so living together doesn't provide as much of a safety net for those relationships here in this state.

As a nurse, I've seen couples who have lived together for many years in MN but if one gets sick, the alienated relative of the sick person has more say about what happens to the patient than the long time live-in partner. My brother has a common law wife in another state; he was visiting this past summer and I told him that he had to be careful or I might have to decide his fate if he was in an accident while here! He settled down and acted his age the rest of his visit!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:49 AM

82 posts, read 150,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
My husband, myself and our baby girl are looking for our new home. We're wondering what the people in the Twin Cities are like? We are originally from the Midwest and are basically nerds. He's a techie and I'm an artist.

Thanks in advance for your two cents
There are plenty of Minneapoltans like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota