Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:44 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Sounds like a justification for being selfish and not giving back when you have the ability to do so.
Give back to who? I put in the effort to educate myself in a high rate of return career, and paid for it myself. Of course, there's some luck, not running against a debilitating decline in health. Most people limit their own futures. Many people just do the easy majors in college, so they don't have to work hard, and they can either party or goof off, instead of concentrating how to get ahead in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 PM

14 posts, read 22,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You were lucky. Yes, lucky. You didn't have to spend your retirement money trying to save someone's life.

Is there a lifetime max to your medical insurance policy? I met that guy when I was in my 20s. His wife was dying of brain cancer. I was a BC/BS customer service representative, personal interview. We cried together. He was going to lose just about everything. He was in his late 40s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
That's a sad situation, losing everything, and have your health go down the drain. My philosophy is there has to be quality of life. I believe that assisted suicide is the way out of that situation, instead of being in terminal declining health with constant pain.
Wait, so the alternative to health insurance reform/eliminating lifetime maximums should be death? You seriously believe terminally ill people should have to choose between going into debt or death? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for assisted suicide, but as a choice for the ill to pass peacefully, not because the sole way to avoid leaving their loved ones destitute is to die.

(Sorry to derail the subject, but I just couldn't let this one go.)

Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Our tax dollars pay for a lot of things, not just welfare. They even pay for the police and fire department to protect your vacant house while you are off living it up in your Florida vacation spot.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Our tax dollars pay for a lot of things, not just welfare. They even pay for the police and fire department to protect your vacant house while you are off living it up in your Florida vacation spot.
He will still be paying steep property taxes on that Minnesota home.

Property taxes are paid to the city.

Income taxes are paid to the state.

The OP will be paying his fair share for police and fire protection via his steep property taxes !

Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Why do you emphasize "steep property taxes"? That really depends on what city the OP lives in.
MN property taxes are not "steep" in comparison to the rest of the country. MN ranks right in the middle, hence the OP will be paying "average property taxes".

Old 04-05-2017, 03:59 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Yeah, seriously. When I lived in the Arrowhead, my property taxes were around $400 a year. No kidding. And when I owned a home in SE MN, my annual property taxes were $670.00 a year.

See? One more reason not to live in the Terrible Cities. Choose Out State, it's the RIGHT choice! Yay, rah!

And in case I hadn't made it clear in my original answer to the OP: I've done exactly what OP is planning - lived in MN for less than 6 months and in a state-income-tax-free state for more than 6 months of the same year. I STILL had to pay MN income tax as a part-year resident. Plus pay the higher property taxes in the no income tax state.

But, hey - clean air and water and well educated citizens are worth a few extra bucks.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:46 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yeah, seriously. When I lived in the Arrowhead, my property taxes were around $400 a year. No kidding. And when I owned a home in SE MN, my annual property taxes were $670.00 a year.

See? One more reason not to live in the Terrible Cities. Choose Out State, it's the RIGHT choice! Yay, rah!

And in case I hadn't made it clear in my original answer to the OP: I've done exactly what OP is planning - lived in MN for less than 6 months and in a state-income-tax-free state for more than 6 months of the same year. I STILL had to pay MN income tax as a part-year resident. Plus pay the higher property taxes in the no income tax state.

But, hey - clean air and water and well educated citizens are worth a few extra bucks.
Why did you have to pay Minnesota income taxes when you lived in Minnesota less than six months?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 PM

210 posts, read 285,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Why did you have to pay Minnesota income taxes when you lived in Minnesota less than six months?
I'd assume because he worked in MN and got a paycheck.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
No - at that time my income was completely from investments. (said She.)

Sorry, OP, you're just going to have to fork over some dough to MN and file a part-time resident state tax form if you live in MN for any time at all and have any income at all during that time.

As I said originally, go see a CPA and maybe they can figure out a way to minimize what you'll have to pay. Seriously. Time to get your answers from a professional.

But I'm right, of course.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 04-06-2017 at 12:25 AM..

Old 06-12-2021, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 460 times
Nothing is greedier than government. Always wants more. Politicians using taxes as a weapon and reward to voters to support them. Minnesota taxes on what your gross income that comes from Minnesota is. So does that mean Minnesota government pensioners, teacher pensions, etc are taxed when they move our of state? Does a shareholder of 3M get taxed in Minnesota when they live elsewhere? Political favoritism is corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota