Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 21,149 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Minn./st paul area and would like some advice on some neighborhoods. I am a RN and my husband is a Carpenter. We have a 5yr old daughter. Our main Priorities:

Character, walkability, with own downtown area(sprawl and strip malls a big no!)

Good kid neighborhood

1st, 2nd or 3rd tier to downtown.

Houses at or under $375,000

We have been researching Hopkins, Rosemount and Stillwater but I am also looking into MacGroveland and Highland Park area of St. Paul.
Can anyone give me input on these areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 03:24 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Rosemount is certainly not character. Highland is a vibrant, upscalish area of Saint Paul, Most of the area was built in the first quarter of the 20th century. The area is walkable and has great shops and attractions. Highalnd Theater, River, et. cetera. HIGHly recommended (sorry for that one). Hopkins was a blue collar/industrial town. It retains some of this character, but has a cute downtown area with some nice post-war bungalows. Some of the best schools in the metro. Light rail will eventually come through the area. Stillwater is what a small town looks like when it is gentrified. Lovely old milling town on the Saint Croix. It is pretty far to downtown, and transportation is lacking. Downtown is vibrant and has some basic necessities, but alot of shopping moved to suburban areas. I would also look in the Linden Hills area of Mpls. Close to the lakes, shopping at 50th street, great schools, lovely old houses that can get fairly alrge. Very kid friendly area. Good luck on your move.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
The older section of Rosemount around downtown certainly does have character, great houses, however there are not many of them. Of your list I would put Stillwater first. I don't know what Minnehahapolitan is talking about when he says downtown Stillwater is far away but I am sure he will explain. Downtown Stillwater isn't really for residents anymore but it is lovely.

Highland is also a nice area but plan on sending your kids to private schools. I know that Ben Around will jump all over this because his DD happened to do well there but the St. Paul and Minneapolis schools on the whole are not desirable unless you want to worry about your kids passing through metal detectors, gang activity, etc. in the schools. Highland is also pretty expensive, so is the Mac/Groveland area. You won't get much house for your money if that is a concern. Highland is only walkable for shopping, etc. from certain areas, like any other place in the world so plan accordingly for that if you are looking there.

Since you seem to have some flexibility with where you live I would also consider Hastings and Northfield. Northfield is very similar to Stillwater but their downtown area hasn't gone quite as touristy. It is also pretty easily accessible from more areas of town (except all the road construction going on near downtown now ).

Hastings also has a nice small town feel. Again, it is another river town like Stillwater and less expensive then Stillwater.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:43 PM

Northfield is a great choice, one of my fav. towns, but 40 miles from the city. Stillwater and Hastings isn't substantially better in this field. All great towns, a terible commute if you work dwtn, imo. I'll help Ben Around in puoncing all over that statement adout MPS. Burroughs Elem., Southwest, Ramsey Jr. High. are all great schools that serve the Southwest side of the city. You aren't shortchanging your kids here. There are plenty of schools in Mpls. that are flat out horrible. Unless she open enrolls her kids at North, the neighborhoods that I suggested in the city have good schools. I can't say for a comfortable certainty that it is the same in Saint Paul( I don't know St. P as well), but it would not be personally uncomfprtable in any of the urban areas mentioned as far as schools (or anything else) goes. I also wouldn't be worried about price. That range can get you an impeccable, Mpls. vernacular bungalow with 3bd and 2ba. Ditto for St. P. Enough, imo, to raise a kid. Stillwater won't be cheaper. As far as kid neighborhoods go, my gut feeling says Linden Hills (young, urban families) and Rosemount (due to ALOT of sprawl) Hopkins does highly in this regard also. If you want ot look at houses I like
edinarealty.com
If you decide on a particular area,, or have more questions, we would love to help.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,435 times
Hopkins is good. Don't forget about Wayzata and Excelsior to the west. Great character in the authentic, walkable downtowns, and you'll occasionally see a home come up in that price range.

Highland and Mac/Groveland are also great.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM

/\second that

Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM

116 posts, read 343,500 times
I will talk up Hopkins, as I have lived there...

It is my favorite suburb. The streets are gridded, the downtown is very walkable, and downtown is actually called 'Main St.' Where can you find that in a suburb anymore? Actually, Hopkins was a satellite city that was incorporated long before urban sprawl swallowed the area around it. It is like an island of 'real, small town.' It's not far from Minneapolis, so there is good enough public transportation to get you to the city via hwy 7 or Excelsior BLVD.

Downtown amenities are really abundant in Hopkins, too. All within 5 blocks of each other are: Grocery, movie theatre, performing arts theater, 2 banks (WF and US Bank), liquor store, hardware store, several bars, post office, coffee shops (Monka Beans), restaurants (Italian, Chinese, sandwich shop, deli, Chipotle, Quiznos), Great Clips, and gift shops. I mean, this town has it goin' on! I miss it sometimes, actually.

I think it's fine for raising kids, too. There are parks all over town, as well as a community center. The streets are quiet and people don't drive too fast down them.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 21,149 times
Thanks for the info, I was checking out St. Anthony last night. I keep reading that north minneapolis is not safe. Does this include these first tier towns? Is St. Anthony safe for kids? would any of you recommend it? What about schools? I have read some threads that the schools there ISD282 are good.

thanks!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Thats what happens when people say "North Mpls. is a dirty and disgusting place to live" To those who aren't local, that means half the city and not a particular area. Saint Anthony is a suburb of Northeast Mpls, both the city and SAV are perfectly safe. Saint Anthony has a unique position. It is about a square mile and has a population of about 7500. It actually has a small town feel. Part in in Hennepin and part is in Ramsey. Wonderful schools, and a very small district. Quick to downtown, good shopping at The Quarry Silver Lake, and Rosedale. You can find some old houses and the architecture is pretty eclectic for a suburb, but most of that area was built post-war. A very good area, but it does lacks an old main street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota