Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,246 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We will be living in an apartment and I'm wondering if it will be cheaper to live in Fargo or Moorhead? If I live in Moorhead and work in Fargo, do I pay Moorhead taxes? I'm wanting to keep as much of my paycheck as possible. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:04 AM

137 posts, read 612,175 times
You pay income tax based on the state in which you reside. As a renter, live in North Dakota. When it comes time to buy a house, you decide if North Dakota property taxes outweigh Minnesota income tax. It might end up being a wash. Personally, I think the North Dakota side of the Fargo-Moorhead area has more to offer.

Congratulations,
disneyrecords

Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,907 times
Just buy your food and clothing in MN.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike312 View Post
Hi all. We will be living in an apartment and I'm wondering if it will be cheaper to live in Fargo or Moorhead? If I live in Moorhead and work in Fargo, do I pay Moorhead taxes? I'm wanting to keep as much of my paycheck as possible. Thanks.
I live in East Grand Forks MN and work in Grand Forks ND. The previous posters were all correct. If renting I would for sure live in Fargo-West Fargo ND due to lower income taxes. Now property taxes (if having a house) are higher in ND... so if you own a home it is more of a wash between the two states. That is the way it is with us as we pay less in property taxes than a similar house in ND side...but we make up for it with more MN income tax.

And yes...your income tax is taking out of the state you live in. North Dakota and Minnesota have a reproprocity agreement in that in that if you live in one state and work in the other then you dont have to pay both state's income taxes. Now because we do live in MN and work in ND....we do have to file a simple ND tax form each year to our employer payroll office so that ND taxes are not taken out.

In terms of rentals...Fargo and West Fargo has more choices and you would be closer to more shopping, etc. I would for sure choose Fargo if renting.

Dan

Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 15,333 times
I lived in both Fargo & Moorehead probably about 8-9 years ago. I now live in the Twin Cities area and I have to agree with everyone. If you rent live in Fargo, If you own a house than go to Moorhead. No matter which one you do rent/own make sure you shop on the MN side. Party on the Fargo side - I missed those days of partying downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota