Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 04:32 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

I just found out from someone who lived there, that Phalen Shores apartments have varmint roaming the property, inside. It shocked me, as that building is not all that old (in the grand perspective of things - I would peg it at about 30 years old, give or take?).

And I had this discussion with my father - I told him, yeah, it would be nice to steer clear of that place in the future if I choose to rent, but maybe ALL rental properties have this problem if a newer building like that has rodents?

Maybe it's impossible to gauge on a micro (city to city, or zip code to zip code) level, but maybe people here have some feedback.

How is the Twin Cities in general when it comes to garden variety renting/rental units? Are rodents just par for the course no matter where you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
No, not particularly for the course, as far as I know. I guess though I am gauging that on suburb apartments, not more inner city. I've heard of issues near the Mississippi River, more of issues and there are rats and mice around. But landlords should be implementing some sort of rodent control. If I heard they were seen in a building on a regular basis I would avoid it.

Anyone can get a occasional mouse that can slip in a small opening but rats are huge and would need a bigger hole to get in.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
We had a rat problem at one point in our old house (South Mpls). The war with the rats went on for about a month and in the end we were victorious (there were three of them as I recall). Anyway, after that ordeal I hired someone to redo the exterior of the porch where they likely entered and we never had an issue after that.

Mice are everywhere though. We have had mice in the garage in both of our houses here.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Big problem for public housing. They have bed bug extermination procedures all the time. Be very careful. I would think the same applies to any big apartment housing in town, both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:03 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I guess, define "problem". Every corporate office I've ever worked in had an ongoing contract with a pest management company, and I've worked in some nice new buildings. In fact, you can visibly see some of the traps out. They are taking a proactive stance to ensure pests don't become a problem. Every house I've owned I was able to catch mice in as well. So the fact that a new building has had a rodent is not a concern for me. But if they have been dealing with the same issue for months on end, that would raise a flag for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota