Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 48,445 times

Advertisements

We are one of those families moving to Minnesota from North Carolina and we are one of those families that’s never been there before.
My son-in-law got a job in Minneapolis so the whole family, including my other two adult children, is moving to Minnesota. My husband is transferring up there and I’m a Dental Assistant that will be looking for a job and my daughter is a Paramedic that will be needing a job as well but she isn’t moving until she has a job. And as a mother it worries me about her job, the safety aspect.
I have been reading this forum and some of my questions has been answered but I still have some and was hoping I can get some opinions. The cold weather or snow doesn’t bother us because we lived in PA before and we love the snow.
Since we are coming from North Carolina I can’t get over the rent being so high. So one of my questions is, why is the rent so high? The cost of living doesn’t seem to be that bad, no taxes on most groceries and clothing.
So here is some questions.....

1. Why is rent so high?
2. We want to live in a homey, family oriented safe, small town within 30 or 45 mins from the TWC and where rent isn’t so high and lots of activities or things to do? We have been looking at Stillwater, Forest Lake, White Bear Lake, Cannon Falls, Lakeville, Farmington,Hastings and some WI towns,
3. Crime. I read that the crime rate isn’t as bad as Chicago, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Detroit and etc.. Is this really true? As a southern momma I worry a lot, lol.
4. Looking for a town that has local transit to ride into TWC during the winters to work.
5. Town with good schools
6. Is it better to live south or north of the TWC?

That’s all I have for now but would love to hear any other advice or ideas that you have. And I’m sorry for the repeated questions. Thanks for your input
Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellifritz View Post
We are one of those families moving to Minnesota from North Carolina and we are one of those families that’s never been there before.

Since we are coming from North Carolina I can’t get over the rent being so high. So one of my questions is, why is the rent so high? The cost of living doesn’t seem to be that bad, no taxes on most groceries and clothing.
So here is some questions.....

1. Why is rent so high?
2. We want to live in a homey, family oriented safe, small town within 30 or 45 mins from the TWC and where rent isn’t so high and lots of activities or things to do? We have been looking at Stillwater, Forest Lake, White Bear Lake, Cannon Falls, Lakeville, Farmington,Hastings and some WI towns,
3. Crime. I read that the crime rate isn’t as bad as Chicago, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Detroit and etc.. Is this really true? As a southern momma I worry a lot, lol.
4. Looking for a town that has local transit to ride into TWC during the winters to work.
5. Town with good schools
6. Is it better to live south or north of the TWC?
Rent is high in the Twin Cities probably because the construction of housing hasn't kept pace with the job growth and numbers of people moving in.

Whether to live north, south, east, or west of the metro area depends upon where your jobs are or how much of a commute you can handle.

If you want slightly lower housing, you might check some towns just beyond the southern suburbs: Jordan, Belle Plaine, Shakopee, New Prague, and Farmington come to mind. Those are south of the metro area, and easy drives although you would be joining a host of other commuters going the same direction.

Crime is certainly lower than places like Chicago and Detroit.

Winters haven't been so bad the past few years. If there is a blizzard, it usually lasts only one day and the roads are cleared quickly. Most of the ring suburbs have good schools: north, south, east, or west.

Maybe if you told us where the job or jobs are located, we could give more specific recommendations.

No need to live in Wisconsin.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I have seriously never heard of a whole family moving because an adult child is moving. Why not have them move and wait and see if they like it...visit a few times, etc?

Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Stillwater, White Bear Lake is great and yes it’s close to the border but not Wisconsin . But there’s not much of a transit system out here and it’s a long haul to either downtown, especially in the winter. TWC? You mean the Twin Cities? Or just “the Cities”. Living north or south of the cities depends on where you work. I wouldn’t live north if you work south of downtown and vica versa. Our rush hour centers on each downtown and crossing them to get to the other side adds a lot of time on to the commute. South of the cities probably has more to offer, even a warmer gardening zone . But I personally prefer north of the cities, less congestion. One of the most popular areas is west of Minneapolis, in the lake area but the costs are higher as well.

It’s fascinating that you will move here without visiting. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:52 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
How high is "high" and where are you looking? My house is 1,500 a month for a five bedroom house, which to me, is very cheap and a steal. I live in St. Paul.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,794 times
"We have been looking at Stillwater, Forest Lake, White Bear Lake, Cannon Falls, Lakeville, Farmington,Hastings and some WI towns,"

"Looking for a town that has local transit to ride into TWC during the winters to work. "

If you live outside of the actual twin cities core area I would not count on relying on transit for anything. I live 20 miles out which is comparable to any of the cities you mentioned and other than a commuter route that comes into the neighboring suburb on a limited weekday schedule we do not have public transit out here.

You should have no problem finding work as a dental assistant and there is a demand for paramedics also, I hear that HCMC EMS (provides EMS service to Minneapolis and several inner suburbs) is hurting for help. Other EMS services, Allina Medical, North medical transport... are also short on medics to keep rigs on the road. Up here most cities do not have their own EMS services, the majority of them contract with HCMC, Allina, North, Ridgeview, HealthEast EMS services to provide service to their communities and I consistently hear that there is a shortage of paramedics, that they have a burnout problem and high turnover rate because of it.

Most of the suburbs are going to have good schools.

Personally I like the South Metro better, but I have lived in the south metro for the entire time I have lived in MN, over 20 years.

There is a housing shortage here, thus high rents, they can't build apartments fast enough. Best thing to do is just buy something.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:41 PM

357 posts, read 444,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
How high is "high" and where are you looking? My house is 1,500 a month for a five bedroom house, which to me, is very cheap and a steal. I live in St. Paul.
That rent for a house is a "steal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota