Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM

55 posts, read 305,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
As someone who spent years teaching in an inner-city middle school, I can say that the reason for no jackets in class (or no backpacks) is simple safety. Kids could and did carry things in pockets that, at the least were disruptive, and at the worst were dangerous. It may seem hard for you to fathom, but it's a pretty universal school policy in all of the U.S. these days.
All right...that makes sense...especially now that we've had so many cases of School Massacre in US.
I spend half year in NJ and the other in Brazil and over there people were really wondering what the hell was happening in America's Educational System...
Personally I didn't know what to answer as in Rio de Janeiro, one of the most violent cities in Brazil there's never been a massive massacre like
Jonesboro, Columbine, Virginia Tech & so on...
and they carry backpacks, as Brazilian Schools have no lockers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:59 PM

8 posts, read 25,932 times
Growing up in outstate MN I always wore a coat, I was LMAO the other day when we got the blanket of snow and winds, there were a couple of kids that got off the bus, neither of them had a coat and the wind and snow was showing them that they were still in MN not Florida. You could see they were both freezing their butts off running down the road to get home.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,342 times
it is not as cold to minnesotans and when you are just going from home to school or going straight inside you can deal for a couple seconds but nobody cares if you do or don't...alot of people do wear coats but no hats or gloves because they are not outside long enough to need them

Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 AM

305 posts, read 991,394 times
Well I always wore a coat. I used to walk to elementary school and I was not going to go without a coat. I don't wear a hat either and half the time no mittens. Sort of silly right? Whats the worst that can happen in Minnesota? Forty below zero? Yikes!!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 28,566 times
im in high school and we wear coats during the winter haha, some may not though but i believe majority do. even in school people wear there coats around. i don't think people are considered nerds for not wearing them now.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Last time I was in Minnesota a few years ago the youth culture of not wearing coats in the winter was just getting started.
Umm... just getting started? This has been going on for forever. Its just a teenager thing. And remember, people who grow up with the cold have a higher tolerance for it. Just like people who grow up with extreme heat are use to it. I think I usually wore a jacket, but I wouldn't wear hats or mittens. I would wash my hair in the morning and not dry it. In the time it took me to walk from the car into school, my hair would be a mass of frozen ringlets!

And the person who couldn't believe about not allowing jackets in the classroom--who would want to? You dress for the winter, plus have a heavier jacket--a person would roast!!! Oh, and the smaller schools, if one classroom is having heater difficulties that day for some reason, the teacher allows the kids to go get their jackets. But I would say this would happen once in the entire four years of high school.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Last time I was in Minnesota a few years ago the youth culture of not wearing coats in the winter was just getting started. It was really cold but no kid from 10-20 would dare wear a coat or a hat, or they would be considered a real nerd. I wonder if this is still true in Minnesota. What if it is below zero, do they still refuse to wear a coat, hat and gloves?
Us Minnesotans are used to the cold weather. We adapted. If it's under 10'F (in my opinion) then I wear a coat. I just wear long sleeves. 30 or above? Tee shirt. Remember it depends on the person, Minnesota is naturally a cold place, so we get hot easy. Most people in Florida and places south are used to the heat. Like MN is used to the cold.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
Holy four year bump.

I recall I didn't wear it some times in winter, but I also wore a lot of hockey jerseys and hoodies and stuff, but that was back around 2000.

Concerts make for good entertainment though - drive around downtown Minny around the clubs on the weekends in Winter - there are always the lines with girls wearing short skirts and stuff when it's 5 degrees out. Screw a coat check, right? lol

Old 06-23-2013, 02:28 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Once mine started driving to school the jackets were left home. Jumping into the heated car in the garage and then running into the school, just didn't need it. We are pretty tough up here. It's not like when we used to walk two or three miles to school in the snow. Ah, good times...

But most of the kids wear the fuzzies from North Face and they are really pretty warm on top of the layers they wear. So it's not as drastic as it may seem.

The lockers were too far from classes to use for boots and coats, that is true in most large high schools.

What I hated most was the flip flops coming out as soon as possible, February or March. And then the dances with high heels stappy shoes and no nylons. And of course no coats on those pretty little dresses. That was really cold but again jumping in and out of house to car to dance, they just didn't care.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I went to college in Moorhead once. Walked midwinter from dorm to student union with a short sleeved shirt on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota