Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 495 times

Advertisements

We're in a pretty sad place, and would really like some advice and references.

So I moved into this place about 3 years ago, and when we moved in there was a "no pets" clause, as usual.

We find out a day or two later that the neighbor has a rabbit, so when the maintenance guy comes back in another day we ask him about it. They were still finishing the carpet in one room. He says that we are fine with caged animals. We ask if ferrets are okay, and he says yes. Later on, during a conversation, ferrets came up with the property manager and there was no gruff about it. About a year ago, we got a new maintenance guy and he's seen the ferrets multiple times with no complaint, even calling them cute once.

Now, we got a new property manager (not a new company, just a new employee, about 6 months ago) and he has just sent us a letter saying that the recent 3rd party maintenance complained about the ferret smell (he was working right next to the cage...). He also said we have to remove the pets and have to have monthly inspections or be evicted.

So here's the thing, I can't find a Minnesota case or law referencing the "three month law" or cases where a landlord allowed a "banned" pet then went back on it. For example, in New York if maintenance or ANY staff of the building knows you have a pet for more than 3 months and doesn't give notice, the pet is allowed.

Even though there is no law on the books I found a case in New Jersey were a tenant had a dog for a year that was allowed then suddenly disallowed, and the court found in favor of the tenant. I saw references to other cases, but no case numbers or anything like that.

What are we supposed to do here? We are extremely attached to our animals, my wife started bawling when we got the letter at the thought of losing our fur babies. We don't want to lose our place either, though, as decent housing is hard to find here. I KNOW the landlord does not want to go to court, so I'm hoping if I have a good enough case for court I wont' have to go at all.

Thank you to anyone who tries to help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 02:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
I also can find nothing in Minnesota state law. You could try to offer the landlord a pet deposit or an additional damage deposit.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Try asking in the real estate forum, renting section.

Just because there is/was a "3 month rule" in NY (NYC?), doesn't mean it exists anywhere else. You don't say if your lease specifically says no pets. Allowing by overlooking, doesn't necessarily grant acceptance. See what the landlords and real estate folks in the other forum say.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Sounds like unenforced no pet rule -when he tries to enforce it - it gets ugly
Sounds like immigration huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota