Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 04:20 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
The MTC hasn't functioned in the "black" for probably 50 years. So what do we do?...bilk the taxpayers out of billions of dollars on a redundant lightrail sham that is one of the most grotesque wastes of taxpayer dollars that this State has ever been worked out of.
What would there be if light rail were to be rid of?

I'm seriously asking. I don't know what was in place before light rail. Buses only is simply not an option. The buses here are a little sad and inefficient.

Yes, sometimes a bus and the light rail are driving alongside each other, just as two cars on the road will. Yet their paths will diverge sooner rather than later, just as the paths of two cars will.

As far as empty buses: take heart. They are cutting routes and times left and right due to the driver shortages. I also see buses with few people (only in very early or late hours) but I view it this way: more people should use public transportation. Truly, the Twin Cities and particularly the areas right outside of the cities are very car-centric. It is strange that people drive everywhere, even to nearby places. It's not going to help traffic as the cities grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
I spent several years living in a very large Asian city (Kuala Lumpur). As they developed their light rail system, the multitude of heavy-polluting mini-buses slowly got phased out. Once a decent light rail system is in place, people will opt for that over the buses. Buses become so inefficient due to having to share the road with car commuters; light rail bypasses much of that commuter hell.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:04 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I do find the bus system from the suburbs to downtown to be excellent. Generally speaking they are frequent, have free parking, are clean, have wifi, and run on time (mostly). Most of the primary suburbs have 1,2, or even 3 park and rides such that there is usually one within 5-10 minutes of your house, with a direct shot to downtown.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Well, everyone's got to pick their poison, so to speak. All of the statistics that you mentioned don't even begin to cover all of the knock-on effects stemming from low taxes and income. Effects that I saw with my own eyes for the past several years.

For me, personally, it's just not worth it for a ~2% less in income tax or other tax. It may be worth it for some in MN; I know people elsewhere who think it is.
Well, the U.S. is a collection of states who have a degree of autonomy over their fiscal policies. We are free to move someplace that better matches our ideology, which some people should consider doing.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Well, the U.S. is a collection of states who have a degree of autonomy over their fiscal policies. We are free to move someplace that better matches our ideology, which some people should consider doing.

Already planned!!!

Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
We are free to move someplace that better matches our ideology, which some people should consider doing.
Mark Dayton: "...find another State!"

Old 10-26-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Mark Dayton: "...find another State!"
Hey pal, if you want a Mississippi economy, move to Mississippi. I want a Minnesota economy, so I'll stay put.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Hey pal, if you want a Mississippi economy, move to Mississippi. I want a Minnesota economy, so I'll stay put.
My ancestors helped build the infrastructure of this state, on their backs - their blood, sweat and tears. I've got as much or more right to be in this State as anyone.

I will stay right where I am as good and d-mn well long as I please.

Better me, a working, taxpaying, home-owning citizen than some welfare leach up here from South Chicago (which my neighborhood has more than enough of I can assure you), or some "refugee" who has moved here because they know they are going to get a free ride until they kick the bucket.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
My ancestors helped build the infrastructure of this state, on their backs - their blood, sweat and tears. I've got as much or more right to be in this State as anyone.

I will stay right where I am as good and d-mn well long as I please.

Better me, a working, taxpaying, home-owning citizen than some welfare leach up here from South Chicago (which my neighborhood has more than enough of I can assure you), or some "refugee" who has moved here because they know they are going to get a free ride until they kick the bucket.

Yes, you can stay as long as you please. The thing is, you are apparently no longer pleased to stay. Man up, take charge of your life, and find the place that works for you.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:38 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
You seem consistently disparage states like Mississippi and Alabama with significant black populations. Could be your white privilege is showing. Or at least your preference for being around white folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota