Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
You sound content.

Well, I'm happy it will only be for a couple weeks as opposed to a month and a half.

Looks like you'll get your wish early next week.

The main problem I have with snow right now is that the ice hasn't melted. So when the snow comes and covers it, depending on how thick it is, you won't know where the slippery ice is located.
look for the splayed out bodies and develop your winter shuffle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,757 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...uPH?li=BBnb7Kz

I think I can say, without a hint of exaggeration, that we are all gonna die.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Time to call out the Norwegian icebreakers?

Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
From my experience, people seem to get tired of the bad things about the climate where they live....the south it's heat and humidity, in the PNW it's rain and gray, in Phoenix the heat, and north the cold. There are even people that tire of the Socal climate (not sure why).

I've put up with many climates that I didn't like to accomplish work and career goals but sometimes I think I would have been better off going where I wanted to live and tried to make it work there. I would say, if you can work yourself in to a job where the climate is more to your liking, you should go for it.
I have lived here in Southern California my whole life, and you can count me as one who is tired of the So. Cal climate -- because it's so boring, in my opinion. Our seasons don't change much, and our summer lasts too long (again, in my opinion). Sure, we don't have to worry about ice or sub-zero temperatures or intense heat with high humidity, so I know we are blessed in that regard. But still -- it would be nice to have more seasonal variation.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:11 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
look for the splayed out bodies and develop your winter shuffle

That reminded me of this 1990s commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p37ejaz_pg

Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Speaking on ice, snow and cold. I found something from a long time ago, I thought it was so funny at the time and have searched for it now and then, finally found it.

Dave Moore, a news guy and a poet from local channel. "Ode to Clunkers" I'm not sure if that's the correct name for poem. FYI, it's the frozen slush that sticks on your car behind the wheels.
It's at 3:55
https://youtu.be/RjNuRrqvtcU

Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM

240 posts, read 586,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
In spring you will for the first time experience seeing 30 degrees as surprisingly warm and will walk around with your jacket open. Until then, several weeks in December through February will be a real and genuine trial.
I personally wish it would stay about 20 or 25 degrees from November to April. No ice, none of these ice storms, no one and a half inches of rain in December followed by snow then a slushy mess when it suddenly gets into the forties again. If it was in the 20s all winter everyone would be wearing shorts when the temperature went into the 40s because it would seem so warm.

A long time ago I worked where a high temperature was minus 50 degrees. Have you ever seen #5 oil come slowly out of barrel in exactly the same size of stream as the bung hole and you have to turn the bucket to fill it and then you have chop it off the oil when you've got as much as you want. I don't want to see that either but was it ever warm when it went up to 25 below.

Minnesotans are basically a bunch of wusses they cry like babies over a couple of weeks of zero degrees. Get all depressed and cabin fever are common words and you rarely see anybody out for a walk. I don't care how cold it gets because I own a good parka, felt line mukluks and mitts. I don't enjoy walking into a wind when it is below zero, though.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:05 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Still no snow for the TC metro, though.
Having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, the most depressing winters were the winters without snow. At least with snow, it brightens things up! The best winters were the snowiest!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
We got an inch of lake effect snow in Lakeside area and some -10F temps this morning. Lake Superior is very beautiful with the ice cover. I am about there being acclimated to negative teens.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:53 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, the most depressing winters were the winters without snow. At least with snow, it brightens things up! The best winters were the snowiest!
Those (such as myself) who have somewhat lengthy commutes 5 days a week may hesitate to agree with you. Nothing depressing about driving on clear, dry roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota