Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:34 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times

Advertisements

I've been in the Phoenix area for 8 years, and I've done so much research, and have been a few other places in the nation while traveling or visiting. I've considered moving a lot of places, looking for a compromise on climate (seems like I gravitate towards extremes), but no place has ever felt right like my home state of Minnesota. So basically, I would really like to move back. I work from home, so employment is not a concern.

I'm born and raised in Duluth, and my reasons for wanting to go back to Duluth are: I know the city, the access to all the outdoors, the scenery, the lack of traffic, the forests, the fresh air, the lake, and the quality water. But there's not as much to do as compared to a major city.

But the Cities are appealing to me because: There's certainly a lot more to do in the Cities as a whole, major airport right there (to be able to easily fly out and visit family that now lives here), more networking opportunities, etc. But I don't like the taste of the water in the Cities (I was spoiled by Duluth water, maybe now that I've been in the Phoenix area I won't notice as much), and the outdoors aren't quite the same as Northern MN.

So I'm kind of stuck. Looking to make the move early summer, so can I get some thoughts and opinions? I want to make sure I'm thinking about the right things here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:45 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Cost of living is lower in Duluth than in most parts of Tha Cities, so you would be able to save more/invest more/do more with your money if you choose Duluth.

If you choose Tha Cities because of all the things to do, consider whether or not you will actually DO all of the things there are to do. If you really are someone who will actually go out to the theater, an obscure cool restaurant, and an art gallery (etc.) several times a week, then definitely choose Tha Cities. But if, in reality, you would only take advantage of all of the things to do once a month or less, then why bother to live in the congestion? Live elsewhere and visit to do stuff.

If you choose Duluth because of the many nearby outdoor options, same thing. Will you actually be DOING these things?

So think about who you really are. Are you more likely to spontaneously go kayaking or more likely to spontaneously go see a play?

Also, Tha Cities area is huge. You'd have very different daily experiences depending on what part of the megalopolis you choose. Have you already thought about what neighborhood or burb would suit you best?

Bear in mind that you really have many more MN options than just Duluth or Mpls/St. Paul.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Cost of living is lower in Duluth than in most parts of Tha Cities, so you would be able to save more/invest more/do more with your money if you choose Duluth.

If you choose Tha Cities because of all the things to do, consider whether or not you will actually DO all of the things there are to do. If you really are someone who will actually go out to the theater, an obscure cool restaurant, and an art gallery (etc.) several times a week, then definitely choose Tha Cities. But if, in reality, you would only take advantage of all of the things to do once a month or less, then why bother to live in the congestion? Live elsewhere and visit to do stuff.

If you choose Duluth because of the many nearby outdoor options, same thing. Will you actually be DOING these things?

So think about who you really are. Are you more likely to spontaneously go kayaking or more likely to spontaneously go see a play?

Also, Tha Cities area is huge. You'd have very different daily experiences depending on what part of the megalopolis you choose. Have you already thought about what neighborhood or burb would suit you best?

Bear in mind that you really have many more MN options than just Duluth or Mpls/St. Paul.
Thanks for the response. I'm more apt to go out to new restaurants than see plays. Also the accessibility to major sports events would be really cool.

Being that a lot of my old friends are still living in Duluth, I think I'd be doing quite a large amount of outdoor stuff throughout the year if I lived there.

I've thought about the general area in which I'd live if in the Cities, and I'd be ideally living roughly somewhere in the triangle makeup of Maple Grove, Eden Prarie, and the airport.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Since you grew up in Duluth, I'm going to advocate that you move now to your selected area of the Twin Cities.

It's always best to expand one's horizons.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Since you grew up in Duluth, I'm going to advocate that you move now to your selected area of the Twin Cities.

It's always best to expand one's horizons.
I appreciate that perspective. And hey, if I'd rather go back to the 218 after a while, nothing would be stopping me from moving a couple hours north.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Being that a lot of my old friends are still living in Duluth, I think I'd be doing quite a large amount of outdoor stuff throughout the year if I lived there.
When I was in my mid-30s, I thought about moving back to my hometown in Michigan, and that was one of my reasons -- old friends.

Guess what? It is likely that your friends have "moved on" in terms of interests and time they can spend with you, plus you may also find that you have "moved on," as well if your interests included, say, drinking and dancing, and now you go paddle boarding and watch your weight.

I'm in my late 50s now, and from that perspective, I would encourage you to look harder at the Cities, as well as other areas outside of MN, as someone else pointed out.

Also, when I was going through this, a wise friend pointed out that maybe a move to a different area in the same state would better serve my purposes, and she was right: I was in a small Ohio town at the time, and I found a better job in Columbus (OH). Moving there, an in-state move, solved a lot of my career and social problems at the time.

So maybe it's worth looking into opportunities in other parts of AZ or the Southwest.

For what it's worth . . .

Old 04-22-2018, 09:27 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
I would pick the Cities. Duluth is great, but man this area is awesome in so many ways. It's not perfect because no place is, but we've been here a year after living in 3 other regions of the country and love it so much we've already bought a home. Besides, Duluth and the north shore are only a couple CD's popped into the car stereo away. To me, it's much more worth it to live here and visit there than vice versa.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
When I was in my mid-30s, I thought about moving back to my hometown in Michigan, and that was one of my reasons -- old friends.

Guess what? It is likely that your friends have "moved on" in terms of interests and time they can spend with you, plus you may also find that you have "moved on," as well if your interests included, say, drinking and dancing, and now you go paddle boarding and watch your weight.

I'm in my late 50s now, and from that perspective, I would encourage you to look harder at the Cities, as well as other areas outside of MN, as someone else pointed out.

Also, when I was going through this, a wise friend pointed out that maybe a move to a different area in the same state would better serve my purposes, and she was right: I was in a small Ohio town at the time, and I found a better job in Columbus (OH). Moving there, an in-state move, solved a lot of my career and social problems at the time.

So maybe it's worth looking into opportunities in other parts of AZ or the Southwest.

For what it's worth . . .
I totally understand everyone moving on. I've of course moved on as well. Perhaps some of my feelings are nostalgia and a longing for what was, and what may never be again.

I've thought about other parts of AZ, and other parts of the southwest, however, topography-wise it doesn't offer me what I am looking for: namely, trees, natural greenery, rivers, creeks, lakes, etc.

In an ideal world, I'd have a place here, and a place in Minnesota, and I'd be good. I despise the Minnesota winters, but I also despise the Arizona summers - they're the complete opposite. No place is perfect, and that's something I figured out after moving here all those years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I would pick the Cities. Duluth is great, but man this area is awesome in so many ways. It's not perfect because no place is, but we've been here a year after living in 3 other regions of the country and love it so much we've already bought a home. Besides, Duluth and the north shore are only a couple CD's popped into the car stereo away. To me, it's much more worth it to live here and visit there than vice versa.
Thanks for your perspective! Where else in the country have you lived, and what about the Cities has you loving it so much?

Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
My family moved from LA to Duluth last summer. I am a real fan of it and still frequent the Cities for weekends on occasion. I gave a breakdown of Duluth based on my experience in Duluth.

Pros of Duluth:
1. Lower Housing Costs. Those who like older homes and Victorians will be very happy as most homes are built during the late 1800's and early 1900's
2. Lake Superior
3. Cooler Summers
4. Easier access to Boundary Waters and Canada
5. Less Traffic
6. Easier access to good schools (Lakeside/Lester Park area is excellent and the costs are not prohibitive)
7. Plethora of outdoors activities without requiring long drives
8. (For some) More snow means better snow activities and more cold means longer duration of cold activities
9. Property taxes are lower % than the Cities.
10. Canal Park/Downtown is central and neat.

Cons of Duluth:
1. Jobs/Wages are poor for a lot of people.
2. Sales Tax is higher (8.375%, soon to be 8.875%) despite no appreciable difference in services.
3. Food is boring.
4. City layout is funky and all of the shopping is on the hill, which is 15 minutes from the east side of town. It is also easy to get lost.
5. (For some) More snow means more snow shoveling and more cold makes people pessimistic.
6. Homes are mostly late 1800's and early 1900's and those looking for modern homes will be disappointed. Home values are slow to grow.
7. There are less city amenities as the Cities (obviously).
8. Roads are not as good due to poor funding and weather.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I like Duluth.....as a weekend tourist destination. I would never more somewhere because the water didn't taste up to snuff if that was the only major downside.

To me, for all it's natural beauty, Duluth is still a little "rust-belty". There is a lack of major employers in the area, so you'll want to consider your field of work. I know you've been there before, but moving from a city of over 4M people to a city of 280K people could be a big shock. Like i said, I love being able to drive up there on the weekends, but as a place to live, unless you are a very specific type, I think you'd enjoy the Twin Cities more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota