Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 27,127 times

Advertisements

Joined the Navy out of (Jordan) High School (1980) which brought me to San Diego, CA for the last 38 years. Kids are grown and out of the house. I'm also done with my 20 year career as a Mechanical Drafter . Currently on Disability due to MS (Multiple Sclerosis) so on a fixed income now. Very active despite the MS, ambulatory, walker and wheel chair in closet if needed. So I'm looking for an apartment with NO Stairs or at least an elevator if on 2nd floor or above.

Does anyone know of a service or resource that can help me choose a place? Due to finances I will not be able to view the apartment before putting down money on it. Which makes me very uncomfortable.

I do a lot of research online and I'm looking at Owatonna, Fairmount, St. Charles, Waseca, but also the Duluth area, Cloquet, Mooselake. I'm undecided on how small of a town I want to go too yet. Looking for diversity, friendly people, and a low cost of living (a one bedroom in San Diego is $1200+). I'm pretty much a loner, just need a library, grocery store and level trails to walk on.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Planning on moving upcoming summer of 2019.

Looking forward to getting away from the heat, traffic, high cost of living and crowds of San Diego, CA
I want my next 50 years to be cool and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:20 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Picking a city first might help. If you move to Minneapolis or St. Paul on Disability with a limited income and are a veteran you could use a social worker to help you find the apartment you need. The bigger counties would have more services like social workers. Good luck moving back. I hope you find what you need.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Default Thanks Kayekaye

Social Services is a good idea I never thought about. thanks

Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
I don’t have any advice regarding cities to look at as I moved to the Twin Cities in 2017; but I do wonder how the extreme cold temps may affect your MS. Do you travel back here consistently during the winter months? I say this cause I have a relative with MS and she came for a visit during the super bowl when our temps were in the single digits and below zero over night. She did not do well and vowed to never visit me during the winter months again. You may want to have a conversation with your physician.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblues46 View Post
Joined the Navy out of (Jordan) High School (1980) which brought me to San Diego, CA for the last 38 years. Kids are grown and out of the house. I'm also done with my 20 year career as a Mechanical Drafter . Currently on Disability due to MS (Multiple Sclerosis) so on a fixed income now. Very active despite the MS, ambulatory, walker and wheel chair in closet if needed. So I'm looking for an apartment with NO Stairs or at least an elevator if on 2nd floor or above.

Does anyone know of a service or resource that can help me choose a place? Due to finances I will not be able to view the apartment before putting down money on it. Which makes me very uncomfortable.

I do a lot of research online and I'm looking at Owatonna, Fairmount, St. Charles, Waseca, but also the Duluth area, Cloquet, Mooselake. I'm undecided on how small of a town I want to go too yet. Looking for diversity, friendly people, and a low cost of living (a one bedroom in San Diego is $1200+). I'm pretty much a loner, just need a library, grocery store and level trails to walk on.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Planning on moving upcoming summer of 2019.

Looking forward to getting away from the heat, traffic, high cost of living and crowds of San Diego, CA
I want my next 50 years to be cool and quiet.
San Diego in summer (unless you actually live inland away from the ocean where it gets much hotter) is not comparatively hotter than much of Minnesota in summer . Duluth and San Diego have nearly the same average July high.

Grand Marais is your best bet for summer temperatures, but it is far away from a lot of stuff. Duluth is your best bet as far as closeness to medical services (St Lukes and Essentia are relatively large). Be warned that rents in Duluth in good areas are deceivingly expensive.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info but for me my MS is heat sensitive. Here in San Diego when it gets above 70+ I tend to stay inside in the Air conditioning, which I dislike being stuck inside due to the hot temps.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
San Diego in summer (unless you actually live inland away from the ocean where it gets much hotter) is not comparatively hotter than much of Minnesota in summer . Duluth and San Diego have nearly the same average July high.

Grand Marais is your best bet for summer temperatures, but it is far away from a lot of stuff. Duluth is your best bet as far as closeness to medical services (St Lukes and Essentia are relatively large). Be warned that rents in Duluth in good areas are deceivingly expensive.
I will look at Grand Marais. Thanks cornsniker3. I'm not too concerned about close by health facilities regarding my MS health, I've had it for 25 years and in good shape due to educating myself, exercising and eating the proper food. I'm really liking the Duluth area and leaning towards Cloquet for the cheaper rents than Duluth.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblues46 View Post
I will look at Grand Marais. Thanks cornsniker3. I'm not too concerned about close by health facilities regarding my MS health, I've had it for 25 years and in good shape due to educating myself, exercising and eating the proper food. I'm really liking the Duluth area and leaning towards Cloquet for the cheaper rents than Duluth.
There's very few, if any places to rent in Grand Marais. I know people who live and are apart of the government there. It's pretty clear it's going to stay this way for a long time. A trip to Duluth for services or general things is minimum 5 hr ordeal. I'd stick around Duluth if I were you, if you want more seclusion, try Two Harbors as it's only half hr from Duluth via a divided 4 lane expressway.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
There's very few, if any places to rent in Grand Marais. I know people who live and are apart of the government there. It's pretty clear it's going to stay this way for a long time. A trip to Duluth for services or general things is minimum 5 hr ordeal. I'd stick around Duluth if I were you, if you want more seclusion, try Two Harbors as it's only half hr from Duluth via a divided 4 lane expressway.
Thanks Warmer27 for the info on Grand Marais, I looked it up online and it looks beautiful, as do most places in Minnesota, its a beautiful state and I miss it. I'll probably just pick a place in the one of the surrounding areas of Duluth until I can get my bearings.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
I'd suggest staying away from tourist destination towns to keep the cost down. Plenty to choose from as you well know. 86 the diversity, just not going to see it in small town MN. Find the Veterans Services representative for the area you're interested in and contact them, I'm sure they could put you in touch with what you're needing. Many apartment buildings in smaller towns have rent control helping lower income people exist in these times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota