Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2019, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities
5,833 posts, read 7,654,491 times
Reputation: 8867

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Regarding some locations...say, Park Rapids, just an example. If one googles something like "Park Rapids MN crime rate and map" the info comes up showing property crime being 3X national average (while violent crime is about the same as national average). This can't be good... From my experience, if property crime is even only twice higher than national level - it shows. I'd say a nice safe town has about the same as national average or lower crime (both, violent and property).
These are not high crime areas but if you are convinced they are, maybe you should look elsewhere.

https://theconversation.com/why-the-...tistics-104731

Last edited by Glenfield; 10-25-2019 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,810 posts, read 6,390,701 times
Reputation: 6559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
These are not high crime areas but if you are convinced they are, maybe you should look elsewhere.
Am I the only one who thinks the OP is a total troll? Dude is tying to make the northwoods sound like the south side of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 08:36 AM
 
527 posts, read 415,047 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the OP is a total troll? Dude is tying to make the northwoods sound like the south side of Chicago.
Not, it's actually you who's a troll, coming and harassing people with personal attacks in their threads. Go away and get a life.
The comments like this only highlight obvious problem with crime that is clearly out there in certain areas....either you people don't want to acknowledge it (which means nothing good for the future developments) or are realtors who have clear interest to protect their business, posting bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 08:37 AM
 
527 posts, read 415,047 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
These are not high crime areas but if you are convinced they are, maybe you should look elsewhere.

https://theconversation.com/why-the-...tistics-104731
I don't think I'm allowed to post links to various crime stats sites here as they're competitors of city-data or mention their names. But a simple google search shows property crime about 3 times of national average and several times of Minnesota average, also.
Total property crime per 100K population/rate:
Park Rapids: 7,065
MN average: 2,192
US average: 2,362

Yeah, I call this high crime. These high numbers seem to exist because of, first, burglary being about twice of average MN rate, but mainly theft being 3 times of both US and MN average rate. If someone thinks it's nice to live in high property crime area and it's some kind of mayberry...to each it's own

Last edited by opossum1; 10-25-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities
5,833 posts, read 7,654,491 times
Reputation: 8867
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
I don't think I'm allowed to post links to various crime stats sites here as they're competitors of city-data or mention their names. But a simple google search shows property crime about 3 times of national average and several times of Minnesota average, also.
Total property crime per 100K population/rate:
Park Rapids: 7,065
MN average: 2,192
US average: 2,362

Yeah, I call this high crime. These high numbers seem to exist because of, first, burglary being about twice of average MN rate, but mainly theft being 3 times of both US and MN average rate. If someone thinks it's nice to live in high property crime area and it's some kind of mayberry...to each it's own
As I said, you should look elsewhere if you’re not comfortable with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 08:59 AM
 
527 posts, read 415,047 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
As I said, you should look elsewhere if you’re not comfortable with the area.
Oh I see you edited out personal insults (or was it a moderator?).
Some of the responses on here and their unreasonable defensiveness and immediate use of personal insults are very telling about the real atmosphere in certain areas. I'm starting to understand why others suggested towns 2 hours from Duluth and towards Canada or NE of Grand Rapids (and where towns have low crime stats to back it up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 09:24 AM
 
Location: MN
6,388 posts, read 6,922,212 times
Reputation: 5678
I hung around someone in Silver Bay and she never locked her doors, ever. She grew up there and has a nice house in the better area of town. Being up there for a week at a time many times surrounded by wilderness and animals. You slowly realize people are the problem compared to wolves and bears I’ve encountered there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities
5,833 posts, read 7,654,491 times
Reputation: 8867
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Oh I see you edited out personal insults (or was it a moderator?).
Some of the responses on here and their unreasonable defensiveness and immediate use of personal insults are very telling about the real atmosphere in certain areas. I'm starting to understand why others suggested towns 2 hours from Duluth and towards Canada or NE of Grand Rapids (and where towns have low crime stats to back it up).
Yes, I edited the post but it’s a lie to say that it contained any personal insult.

I cautioned you against throwing around the term personal insult as that is a violation of the terms of service. If you believe that a post contains a personal insult, you should report it. I also said that previous posts contained no personal insults.

You should read the TOS. Commenting on moderator actions as you have done here is a violation.

I will say that your posts are incredibly annoying, and pathetically whiny. To think that northern MN is high crime area is one of the craziest opinions I have ever seen in this forum.

I am not sure what your motives are but it doesn’t seem like you really want feedback or other views.

Last edited by Glenfield; 10-25-2019 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 12:03 PM
 
527 posts, read 415,047 times
Reputation: 466
Yes your initial response had contained personal insult calling me "snotty".

I'm done with this thread- seems like there're certain people on this forum working to protect their business/real estate interests instead of having truthful discussion, they're posting false/misleading info here, insulting, which is ridiculous and waste of my time. Bitter and untruthful responses only speak for you folks, for who you are and what kind of local culture you live in...doesn't sound appealing.
Or, perhaps, Minnesota winter blues are as bad as they describe them and it showed. Must be really depressing in some of these towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2019, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
5,833 posts, read 7,654,491 times
Reputation: 8867
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Yes your initial response had contained personal insult calling me "snotty".

I'm done with this thread- seems like there're certain people on this forum working to protect their business/real estate interests instead of having truthful discussion, they're posting false/misleading info here, insulting, which is ridiculous and waste of my time. Bitter and untruthful responses only speak for you folks, for who you are and what kind of local culture you live in...doesn't sound appealing.
Or, perhaps, Minnesota winter blues are as bad as they describe them and it showed. Must be really depressing in some of these towns.
I said you didn’t have to be snotty about it which you were and continue to be. I agree that this is probably just a trolling exercise on your part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top