Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 07:08 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,577,762 times

Advertisements

I have posted many times about the great hiking trails here in NE Minnesota. Some of the best ones I would highly recommend are

Caribou Rock Hiking Trail

Magnetic Rock Hiking Trail

Portions of the Kek

Portions of the Pow Wow Hiking Trail

Portions of the Boarder Route Trail

Danieals Lake Hiking Trail which will connect to the Boarder Router Trail in that section.

Bass Lake Hiking Trail

There are may others as well. We love hiking. For a really great loop hike, the Split Rock Loop of the SHT is highly sought, as is the SHT Trailhead just north of Beaver Bay, from the lot, head south and climb, you will see many miles once at top, about a 8 mile loop.

The trail I would most recommend is the Caribou Rock Hiking Trail. It will lead you to the famous Stairway Portage, and a waterfall. This section also connects here to the Boarder Route Trail. The trail is absolutely incredible. You will gain high elevation, and see for many miles along the way. It is a strong hike.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/sup...36905&actid=50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 09:53 AM

6,449 posts, read 6,996,447 times
Drive 61 past Grand Marais to Kadunce River and park in the parking lot and cross 61 to the Superior Trail spur trail. As soon as the path starts to climb up just past the log small waterfall, walk down to the river. You walk next to and in the river for a long time (late summer is ideal with lower water levels). There a bypass on left side before the first amphitheater/waterfall. I climbed up the left side of waterfall no problem. The river is a slot canyon the whole walk. Eventually it flows wall to wall like in Utah. Then bigger waterfall stops most people. If, I mean if, you want to climb 2nd waterfall, you have to climb each one after to then get out. If you fail at that, tons of people have to be rescued as going down waterfalls is much harder then up. Friend worked search and rescue out of Grand Marais thus where I got this info.

Another awesome sight even many locals don’t about is stop at Ray Bergland rest stop next to Onion River just before Lutsen. Hike the path going up. Super long cascade unlike anything else in state. Spring is ideal time as no leaves on trees and high water. Once you reach a dirt road that ends, you can also walk down into river and walk it. I can tell anyone interested in a phenomenal campsite, just DM about it, I won’t advertise it to everyone. All locals are surprised when we tell them we are camping there and have been 2-3 times a year for last 10 years, that and the locals all know us now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota