Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 03:06 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,012 times

Advertisements

Wishing all of the wonderful people of Minnesota

a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS

And an AMAZING 2021! It has to be a lot better compared to 2020, right?

I hope that your beautiful state recovers from everything in 2021!

So, how do you all celebrate the Holidays in MN? What are some of your typical desserts,

what are your favorite dishes, treats, etc.? How about lutefisk? Is it still popular?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnLIMWLs0b8

MERRY CHRISTMAS, Minnesota!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 07:54 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,451 times
A lot of people on Christmas go to the ski trails, and or go hiking. Eating smoked fish with cheese and crackers is good.
Eggnog and Lutefisk is popular as well.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:08 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
We go to church on Christmas Eve, then to the family farm, eat Swedish meatballs and rice pudding, then play games after dinner. We spend Christmas Day at home with the family, open presents by the fire, maybe a walk after we eat dinner. Christmas movie in the evening.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:23 AM

542 posts, read 447,858 times
MINNESOTA CHRISTMAS
Usually, we go to "Midnight Mass" on Christmas Eve (didn't go to church this year with Covid), eat oyster soup with garlic bread, and play games (cards or board games). On Christmas Day, we open presents by the fire place, eat a turkey feast (only slightly different than Thanksgiving), do a family walk, and again play board games or cards.

SOUTH DAKOTA CHRISTMAS
As I child up until high school, we would go to our grandparents home in South Dakoto (both sides farmers and lived within 75 miles of each other). Eat pheasant on Christmas eve (warned to bite carefully due to possible buckshot) and eat a german desert called kuchens, play chess and card games, and go to actual Midnight Mass. Christmas day wake up and open presents from this side of the family. We would then travel to our other Grandparents home and have another Christmas. If we made it there with enough light, my grandfather would take me shooting with targets he set up. We would eat a type of meatballs dinner (looked it up and it is closest to chiftele). Then open presents and play cards (whist, hearts, and multi person solitaire).

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 12-26-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
happy holidays

Old 12-28-2020, 06:28 AM

Thumbs up Thank you so much for sharing your traditions!

Hello Demtion35,

Thank you for your prompt & lovely reply!I appreciate it! I love hearing about Christmas, Holiday traditions from across the country. Especially from people from the Midwest & New England areas. Although, I would really love to hear from every state

Going hiking or to the ski trails, seems the healthy thing to do & be able to enjoy all of the Christmas treats throughout the Holiday Season! Thanks so much for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
A lot of people on Christmas go to the ski trails, and or go hiking. Eating smoked fish with cheese and crackers is good.
Eggnog and Lutefisk is popular as well.

Thanks to ALL of the posters in this thread! Please keep sharing your traditions!

I truly appreciate it!

HAPPY 4th DAY OF CHRISTMAS!! CHEERS & BLESSINGS!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021!!

Old 12-28-2020, 09:06 AM

Talking Thanks for sharing, GLENFIELD! I appreciate it! CHEERS everyone!

Dear Glenfield!

Thanks for your kind post & for sharing your CHRISTMAS traditions!I truly appreciate it!!
It sounds so nice to be able to go to the family farm, very cool!

I really enjoy reading about CHRISTMAS traditions around the country, but especially from the Midwest!

We always go to Church on the 24th, an Advent Service earlier in the day (last day of ADVENT) & then after a small Fish Dinner, we go to a Christmas Mass later on. Usually Midnight Mass. The readings are different.

Then on the 25th we go to Church again, and of course it is GLORIOUS! We always take pictures with the Nativity Scene or Manger. Once at home we read some Christmas stories, then have a nice CHRISTMAS meal,
go for a walk, come back home and maybe play a board game.

Many times we end up opening up gifts on the Feast of Saint Stevens or Boxing Day on the 26th.

Pre Covid we would also visit other relatives, friends & neighbors after the 26th to wish them a Happy Christmas & drop off a cake & or cookies. Lots of family & friend time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We go to church on Christmas Eve, then to the family farm, eat Swedish meatballs and rice pudding, then play games after dinner. We spend Christmas Day at home with the family, open presents by the fire, maybe a walk after we eat dinner. Christmas movie in the evening.
HAPPY 4th DAY OF CHRISTMAS to everyone reading this!!

ENJOY THE ENTIRE HOLIDAY SEASON! CHEERS & BLESSINGS TO ALL!

AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021!!!

Old 12-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Talking What a Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing your TRADITIONS! Very Nice!

Dear THE GRAND VIKING

Thank you so much for your lovely post!

Thank you for sharing your family traditions, they are wonderful.

What a treasure, what HAPPY MEMORIES!! What a Blessing! Your South Dakota traditions seemed a bit like my childhood memories as well. Going to visit different relatives & having different CHRISTMAS celebrations, awesome memories!

We also go to Midnight Mass & it is an AMAZING experience & Blessing!

I thought that you might enjoy the following video, it is by Friar Alessandro, singing at the Church of the

Nativity in Bethlehem. Nativity Grotto. With scenes from Saint Jerome's cave. Beautiful voice.

Song: "Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle" By Friar Alessandro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlaOjFHswIY

Friar Alessandro - Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle - Nativity Grotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
MINNESOTA CHRISTMAS
Usually, we go to "Midnight Mass" on Christmas Eve (didn't go to church this year with Covid), eat oyster soup with garlic bread, and play games (cards or board games). On Christmas Day, we open presents by the fire place, eat a turkey feast (only slightly different than Thanksgiving), do a family walk, and again play board games or cards.

SOUTH DAKOTA CHRISTMAS
As I child up until high school, we would go to our grandparents home in South Dakota (both sides farmers and lived within 75 miles of each other). Eat pheasant on Christmas eve (warned to bite carefully due to possible buckshot) and eat a German desert called kuchens, play chess and card games, and go to actual Midnight Mass. Christmas day wake up and open presents from this side of the family. We would then travel to our other Grandparents home and have another Christmas. If we made it there with enough light, my grandfather would take me shooting with targets he set up. We would eat a type of meatballs dinner (looked it up and it is closest to chiftele). Then open presents and play cards (whist, hearts, and multi person solitaire).
Thank you much for your post! I truly enjoyed reading it! Reputation CHRISTMAS cookies going to you ASAP!

A BLESSED CHRISTMAS SEASON TO ALL READING THIS!!!

Old 01-10-2021, 01:56 PM

Talking Anyone make this cake in MINNESOTA? HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Hello DEAR MINNESOTA FRIENDS!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021-HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Did you all make, buy, bake a GALLETTE DE ROIS- or a THREE KINGS CAKE-

BREAD-or EPIPHANY CAKE?
Do any of your bakeries sell any of these delicious TREATS

used to CELEBRATE THE EPIPHANY or THREE KINGS DAY? The EPIPHANY SEASON?

What are your FAMILY EPIPHANY traditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBlCQhuChI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcE7UEwvHrk

HAPPY NEW YEAR & HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!!

I hope that this year is a lot better compared to 2020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: