Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:49 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Only 6% of Minnesotans are black, so the 12% of blacks using section 8 housing is grossly disproportionate.
If you’ve been following along a poster had called me out for being “uneducated” about which demographic uses section 8 the most. I’m not though. I looked it up and found that most of it in the state of Minnesota is used by white people. This is an unrefutable fact.

So if you want the Met Council to stop planning subsidized housing units to be added to the suburbs maybe start with telling poor white people to stop using up 78% of the available government subsidized housing in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 11:11 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Only 6% of Minnesotans are black, so the 12% of blacks using section 8 housing is grossly disproportionate.
I think it's worse than that. I think Cruz is cherry-picking his data. I can't get the link he provided to work (I've tried on two computers now and neither work).

Something tells me that the numbers he posted aren't accurate. I see there are three different types of housing assistance (vouchers, Section 8 and Public Housing), and I think he's not being fully truthful about the cumulation of all of them.

This link goes into some of this: https://nlihc.org/sites/default/file...otlight2-2.pdf

Quote:
[nationally]About half (49%) of Project-Based Section 8 residents are white, about a third (33%) are black and 13% are Hispanic (See Chart 2). Across all public housing, about 45% of residents are black while another third (32%) are white and a little over 20% are Hispanic.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I think it's worse than that. I think Cruz is cherry-picking his data. I can't get the link he provided to work (I've tried on two computers now and neither work).

Something tells me that the numbers he posted aren't accurate. I see there are three different types of housing assistance (vouchers, Section 8 and Public Housing), and I think he's not being fully truthful about the cumulation of all of them.

This link goes into some of this: https://nlihc.org/sites/default/file...otlight2-2.pdf
Sad that you can’t figure out how to use the internet. Go to the following link, select “state” and then find Minnesota from the drop-down box and then click the button that says “report.” Not hard.

https://pic.hud.gov/pic/RCRPublic/rcrmain.asp

Your suggestion that I’m cherry-picking is false. You’re the one with a race-agenda and political axe to grind here, not me.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 07-06-2021 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Sad that you can’t figure out how to use the internet. Go to the following link, select “state” and then find Minnesota from the drop-down box and then click the button that says “report.” Not hard.

I did. I get a pop-up that denies me access on two comps.

You are cherry-picking the data you want, though. I did some research and see you claims aren't accurate.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Your suggestion that I’m cherry-picking is false. You’re the one with a race-agenda and political axe to grind here, not me.
Actually I got through on my phone just now. That is just one type of assistance (public hpusing), and whites are still underrepresented in that piece of the housing assistance pie.

I kind of figured you were pulling a fast one. And I was right.

That's a sad site, by the way. Did they get some HS sophomore to design it?

Old 07-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Well, well, well.

Maybe it's you that can't figure out that site? I see at the link you provided that there are numerous stats.

One of them (the "all voucher funded assistance") shows whites use 48%, blacks use 44%. Another statistic (the "all relevant programs") shows whites use 55%, blacks use 36%.

Strange. Yup, I knew you tried to pull a fast one.

Old 07-06-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Well, well, well.

Maybe it's you that can't figure out that site? I see at the link you provided that there are numerous stats.

One of them (the "all voucher funded assistance") shows whites use 48%, blacks use 44%. Another statistic (the "all relevant programs") shows whites use 55%, blacks use 36%.

Strange. Yup, I knew you tried to pull a fast one.
The discussion was about section 8/affordable housing. Why are you bringing up all public assistance vouchers?

Also I’m not sure who you’re trying to impress with your critique of the website (apart from perhaps an attempt to save face at your struggle with navigating it). It’s a government website, and assumedly was designed by government employees or someone contracted out by the government.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The discussion was about section 8/affordable housing. Why are you bringing up all public assistance vouchers?

Also I’m not sure who you’re trying to impress with your critique of the website (apart from perhaps an attempt to save face at your struggle with navigating it). It’s a government website, and assumedly was designed by government employees or someone contracted out by the government.
I've never been on housing assistacne so I don't understand it as well as those who seek it out, but it's pretty evident there are different programs and levels of assistance.

I had no real issue getting to the substance of the site after you posted a working link. Though I'm not at all surprised a government website is trash (deliberately vague and strange to navigate). I'm sure they hired not the most qualified candidates for their website but did so for other reasons.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I've never been on housing assistacne so I don't understand it as well as those who seek it out, but it's pretty evident there are different programs and levels of assistance.

I had no real issue getting to the substance of the site after you posted a working link. Though I'm not at all surprised a government website is trash (deliberately vague and strange to navigate). I'm sure they hired not the most qualified candidates for their website but did so for other reasons.
You thinking it was a diversity hire?

Old 07-06-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You thinking it was a diversity hire?
I'm sure the runners of that site would tell you to your face (with pride) that "diversity and inclusion" are at the top of their priorities list (not competency and merit).

Anyways, you and I have gotten off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota