Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 10:16 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,027 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a single (divorced) mid-50's woman who currently lives in Iowa. I am here at Mayo Clinic in Rochester undergoing an evaluation for a lung transplant (COVID-related).

It's just me and my little dog, and I would like to move to Rochester to be closer to Mayo during what will likely be a long process. I've been here for a few weeks staying in an extended-stay hotel and looking at all the living options here while I get testing and consultations for my medical condition.

I like Rochester. It reminds me a little of the Iowa university city I grew up in. It's a little more conservative, but I can live with that.

I am hoping someone can give me guidance (as specific as possible) for a townhouse or condo that I could purchase. The price of short-term rentals is really high, and it's complicated with my dog. I'll be here for a few years, God willing --so I would like my own place. Because of my physical limitations I would prefer something maintenance-free with an attached garage. It doesn't have to be high-end or huge. I'm just looking for something reasonably priced and in a good, quiet, safe neighborhood.

I'm told to stay away from the SE (especially near Cub Foods) although there are some nice areas intermixed. Apparently the SW is home to the beautiful historic HUGE houses which would be great if they weren't huge and expensive. I would love a small historic house with a small yard (would have to hire maintenance, but it might be worth it).

Neighborhoods I am reading about include Elton Hills, Kutzky Park, Pill Hill (Ha...), the Historic Southwest, Apple Hill. Are there others I should be considering?

If anyone can give me a starting point, it would be great. My puppy and I just want clean, safe, convenient, not too expensive, and close to parks or water. We will just cozy up there and be left alone and enjoy the days.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:39 PM

57 posts, read 75,918 times
My son's paternal grandmother had a single lung transplant at Mayo several years ago and then this last year cancer removed from her other lung. It is a long process. You should find out if you will be in an assisted like living care for a few weeks once released from the hospital. Do you have a support system that can help take care of your dog and drive you to and from appointments once it happens. It is a sudden call and you go. Sometimes you get there only to find out it won't happen. So I recommend having a support system in play once approved to go on the donor list. It is a long process from the day approved to the day the surgery actually happens and then a long recovery. But the doctors at Mayo are the best.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:15 PM

441 posts, read 439,627 times
I agree with gypsyjean. I have pancreatic cancer and would never make it without the support of my husband and daughter. I can't drive because of medications and pretty wiped out right after chemo. (stupid side effects are worse than the chemo.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: