Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMom4years View Post
I have to agree with the fact that Minnesota has TERRIBLE drivers, the kids are not trained properly on how to drive, the drivers are rude, do not use turn signals and tailgate, the kids are disrespectful in schools zones and crossings and hang out too much on the nicer days. I have Lived in MN most of my life, but after coming back fron the southern states and back to Minnesoata, the Minnesota drivers are WORSE, than Kentucky, Ohio, Tennesse and Oklahoma!
Minnesota NICE is not there at all, very uppity people, very much snobs, and mostly prejudice.
Too me this is sad, I thought Minnesota was nice, nope, notta, go to another state, much friendlier people without all the so called, self called "preppys"

I think you just hang out with the wrong people. Minnesotans are passive-aggressive, but get over it. Its just the manners from our parents kicking in. Its ok to get angry at someone, but its another thing to display an angry side. Thats where it stemms from.

Driver side? I guess there are bad drivers, but if you're within the hustle-bustle of a metro area, its safe to say that the "bad driving " can be placed on the over congestion and the amount of cars on the road way. Its pretty sad that your opinion of Minnesotans is going to be skewed because "kids cant drive in school zones" which is a. a very generalized comment. and b. very ignorant.

Also, where are these "preppys" you talk about ? The last time i heard the term "preppy" was probably in my 7th grade lunch room. Also, what does "hang out too much on nice days"? I dont get that... The thing with Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Tennessee is that the states are mostly rural, where its much easier to drive.

Also, kids here are trained properly, you know that everyone needs to pass a standardized test to get a license? And everyone must pass the same test... So youre basically saying that everyone who has ever gotten a license in Minnesota is a bad driver? I got mine here. 0 accidents, 0 tickets in 8 years of driving. I would more than less place it on the person themselves. If you're an idiot person, you're probably an idiot driver.

Next time you come into a forum to rant and rave, make sure you have some facts or some hard evidence.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:42 AM

102 posts, read 295,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaklin View Post
I can't wait to get the heck out of Minnesota. Ever since I moved here, I've run into nothing but rude people who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open and don't say "bless you" when you sneeze. .
That is a pretty stupid reason to call a place unfriendly.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
I'm sure it's not just Minnesota.. I think it is society in general. Less and less kids are being raised in wholesome two parent environments, and sometimes basic social norms or manners can go un-taught or un-learned. Our society has become less and less polite and mature...I mean.. The day after Pearl Harbor 60,000 18yr olds and younger signed up for the Military... The 18 year olds of nowaydays are laughable... Men dont become men until mid 20s now it seems like..idk...its just not the 1950s leave it to beaver days anymore...the best you can do is just act polite yourself and hope its contagious...

Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
This thread makes me want to move there! Sounds like the place and people id love to be around! Seriously.

Now, to find a job there......

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
I can't believe this thread is still alive.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM

48 posts, read 210,203 times
I find the original post pretty interesting. I grew up in Minnesota and moved to southern Oregon about 3 years ago. People from southern California are moving to Oregon in DROVES. Most people I've met here are from California. They complain about how much the restaurants suck, that the locals are hillbillies, how there's nothing to do, etc, but they are quite content to take advantage of the Oregon Trail cards, even citing Oregon's liberal generosity of welfare as one of the reasons they moved here. The locals who have spent their lives here have suddenly seen their town population boom and the crime rates escalate and they are tired of the Californians bitching and wish they'd go home if they hate it that much. There has been some very bitter threads on the Oregon board on the subject. I have some friends from California that I love dearly, but I have found that they think there is nothing better than California. Which in some ways I can understand...some days I still miss Minnesota horribly. Where you grow up is sentimental.

On another note, I've traveled to California many times since I've moved here and on 3 different occasions, I've been offered a job BECAUSE I'm from Minnesota. Apparently, former employees they'd hired from the Land o' Lakes had been stellar in terms of work ethic, customer service, friendliness and honesty and they are floored by what great employees they'd been.

Perhaps the original poster is going through the culture shock and homesickness misery I was my first year and a half here. Best way to get out of that is to see that moving halfway across the country is an ADVENTURE. Even if you don't intend to stay long, you can soak up everything about that culture and have some good memories when you leave.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:23 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
I've been to Minnesota, in particular twin cities, about 20 times and have not found the people to be rude, or any worse than anywhere else. I did notice, however, the drivers tend not to be polite and let people in. The traffic is a pain because they have such narrow roads as compared to what I'm used to here. If you want someone to open doors for you, I suggest a GF/BF.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,863 times
I agree this is one of the most unfriendly places you could ever live. Getting to know people here is very hard. Everyone is to totally tied to their immediate family members - I see it as a very co-dependant society here.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM

118 posts, read 316,385 times
I have had the opposite experience regrding people. We have made friends since moving from NY a couple of years ago. The drivers are very aggressive though. It is mostly the soccer moms in their over sized truck that tail gate. Pretty inconsiderate and rude considering they drive their kids around. I'm not saying they are bad people. There is this strange mentality that takes over people when they get in their giant metal box.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Minnesota is my favorite state to live in.

The highest point in Minnesota is Eagle Mountain. There is even a hiking trail going to the top.

Minnesota is famous for its winters..
There are mosquitos in Wsc., Mich., Vermont and New England, Maine, And Alaska, also Minnesota...
Driving in snow and ice is normal in Minnesota, but its not for everyone perhaps...

People usually say thanks for opening a door wherever I have been too, it is unusual that they dont for you... no matter what state.

But, to be in an enviroment on a trip not being properly prepared to me is a lack of insight and planning, then to turn around and blame it on everyone and everything else, except where the blame should be... is unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota