Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
It's really tough. I just cringe sometimes...

Wanna go on the bOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoat ?

dOOOOOOOOn't ya' know dat?
I don't know anyone who talks like that. I've lived in North Dakota and Minnesota all of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM

65 posts, read 120,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I don't know anyone who talks like that. I've lived in North Dakota and Minnesota all of my life.
The thing is that I've noticed is that many people don't notice they have/had an accent until they leave and come back. This happened to me.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotifa View Post
The thing is that I've noticed is that many people don't notice they have/had an accent until they leave and come back. This happened to me.
That's exactly it. I never noticed how thick the accent was until I moved to Duluth from the Twin Cities...

Now, I can't help notice it. I try not to. But I do. The woman and their O's are just soooo over the top

Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,416 times
I've only had a couple people point out my "accent" since I left Minnesota. One of the times was in Utah. It only happens when I say a word like "don't". Otherwise, I've been told that my MN accent is either very very mild (limited to only a couple words) or non-existent.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
That's exactly it. I never noticed how thick the accent was until I moved to Duluth from the Twin Cities...

Now, I can't help notice it. I try not to. But I do. The woman and their O's are just soooo over the top
The accent is much thicker in Duluth. It's basically non-existent in Minneapolis and St. Paul and very mild in the Twin Cities suburbs.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,721 times
^^
That's why it sticks out so much here. I've also noticed it among "hick'' guys in MN too. You know, the younger guys that probably hunt ducks or something weird, and chew tobacco and probably drive a pick-up truck.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,204 times
There is absolutely a MN accent. It is an accented "O" sound.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotifa View Post
That's true. Or leave and come back just for a visit.
I notice a change in accent in myself too. I've lived in the northwest for years. That "weird" way I thought that people said the word "Wisconsin" when I first moved here?... that's how I say it now. I even caught how I said the word "Washington" a few months back. I thought, 'WHAT just came out of my mouth?' lmao

I visited Wisconsin and Minnesota for a week three years ago. I was able to say Wisconsin the WISCONSIN way for a week and then it went away. haha!

Someone a couple months ago found out where I was from and said, "Yeah, I can tell you're from that region when you say certain words." So I guess it hasn't left completely. And then another time, my friend from Texas said I definitely sound like I'm from the Northwestern US. So.... I guess it's an odd combination of both.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Here's the deal: if you don't think you have an accent and/or you don't notice others' accents, you can't hear the accent because you have lived here so long, and both you and the other person likely have a thick accent. If you can hear others' accents and notice it pretty well, you may inherently decide not to talk that way or to try to talk that way MORE. I know when I visit my cousins in Chicago, it's really easy for me to say things like "da ball went over der under da chree", especially if I'm drunk. I try very hard not to have any accent, but I'll allow some of what I call "Northism", which is a blend of some of the MN, WI, Chicago, Detroit and Cleveland accents....but very very mild. Most people I come across in other states don't think I have an accent, but they usually know that I'm not from around the local area.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,085 times
Right after college I had a girlfriend from Normal, Illinois. She insisted she had no accent, because it was the Normal accent - which of course I scoffed at, until I learned that television and radio announcers aim to duplicate that mid-Illinois accent to appeal to the greatest mass of domestic audience. I dunno, it still sounded like an accent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota