Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 AM

23 posts, read 104,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
If you do come out, try Culver's. It's a fast food place that makes the food while you wait. It ranks up there with the best!!

mmm, cheese curds!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM

129 posts, read 663,022 times
Ark - the thing is that most of those moves took place in and around Minnesota (I've travelled for brief periods to places that don't depress me, warm places, places where people aren't emotional shut ins)

I am moving ASAP

Josh - why do you think Santa Monica is so bad - every time I go out there I love it, and you can talk to anybody (as long as they don't look like some crazy mofo that'll shoot you in the face..)

?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
"places where people aren't emotional shut ins"

I'd have to agree that there's a certain Scandinavian-esque stoicism common among Minnesotans. Just today I was working with a foreign exchange student from latin America who's just not on the same wavelength as her "foster" family, who take a very "logical" approach to life. The family tends to talk in terms of "thoughts" when she's talking about "feelings" and they can't understand why she's so "emotional" all the time.

You have to remember that they (Minnesotans) are the kinds of people you see on TV after their houses have been blown away by a tornado or swept down the river in a flood and they will look into the camera, shrug their shoulders and say "well, what are you gonna do?"

And yes, it definitely takes some people a long time to open up emotionally and get past friendly chit chat about the weather. People here do tend to have a tight circle of "trusted" friends with whom they are very loyal. I guess the upside to that is once you DO make friends, you will have REAL friends who will literally give you the shirt off their back. I've lived in other places where it is easier to make friends initally, but the frienships just aren't as "deep" as the ones I had back home.

One thing you have to understand about Minnesotans is they're just not into being "extreme." Even the language reflects that...you ask someone how they're doing and "pretty good" means "wonderful!"; "not too bad" means "fine" and "not too good" means "terrible!"

Minnesotans don't like to "burden" people (especially strangers) with their personal affairs. While they're more than happy to help you "fix" an obvious problem (i.e., jump start your dead battery) they won't stand around and ask you how you feel about being stranded out in the cold.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense...I'm sure I've made MN sound like a state full of clinically detached, emotionally unavailable robots, lol...but hopefully it sheds a little light on the infamous Minnesota "reserve."

Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 AM

34 posts, read 94,314 times
What's funny is all these descriptions are things people say about me. I'm becoming more aware lately that Northern Europeans have some pretty distinct characteristics.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:15 PM

177 posts, read 814,968 times
Post Want to move to MN as well from CA!!!

Josh in CA, I know exactly how you feel living in CA with the Mexican population seemingly taking over. We live in Lancaster (northern LA county) having moved from Sacramento last year. Just one month after moving into our brand new home in a supposedly 'nice' area of West Lancaster there was a shooting by local Hispanic gang members in a local park which was witnessed by members of a homeschooling group that I had just joined!!! So the house went on the market that very week and we are still trying to sell it. That is the reality of living in CA. I realise that many places do have problems but I have lived in England the majority of my life and never come across such activity even there and they have quite a high crime rate. Unfortunately my husband and I have come to realise that CA is just too expensive for us with 3 kids and me being a stay at home and hands on Mum. We can only afford to live in the not so nice areas here and that to me is not acceptable!! Which is why We think that MN would be a perfect fit for us!!! We are looking in and around ST. Paul and have come across some nice looking towns like Stillwater and White Bear Lake, We desperately need a great school district as I have got issues with all 3 of my kids needing extra attention in order to succeed even at a moderate level - 2 have ASD's and another has problems learning to read and write properly!!! So the school district is a big issue with me!! MN schools are meant to be so much better and are likened to private schools here in SoCA - small classes and more activities!!!

So being European - born anyway and the fact that my husband and I are used to the cold - We feel MN maybe a good fit for us as a long term place to settle down and raise our family - I was wondering apart from the cold obviously - what other down sides to living in MN there would be? How obviously religious are they as I can't stand religious idiots telling me what to do either!! - I am tolerant of their beliefs but feel that I should have my own opinions regardless of whether I offend them or not - I guess it just depends on how forceful they are!!!HEHEHEHE!!!! Please let me know any info regarding this area!! - I am reserved as well...except on the internet of course!!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
I would like to say hello first, and then tell you that Minnesota people are not pushy when it comes to going to any church. Most of us are laid back, easy to get along with, and more then willing to give you the shirt off our backs, so to speak. The cold is the worst, although it does not bother everyone, we do have some humid summers, less if you live further up north.
I have been told and have read on the forum, many people do love Minnesota, for the lakes, trails, beauty etc. but as far as really anything wrong with Minnesota, I don't think there is anything you would not be able to handle. I am on the southern part close to the Iowa border, and we tend to be really friendly down this way. If there is anything else I can try to answer for you let me know. Take care, and if you decide to move here, a lot of people do get hooked once they settle in. Good luck, hope to talk again. Yorkie_Mom

Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 AM

571 posts, read 2,529,160 times
I agree with Yorkie that you most likely won't get hassled about religion here. Asking someone about their religious beliefs (especially someone you don't really know) is generally considered too "personal" a topic for most Minnesotans.

Downsides other than the cold...I would say:
-mosquitoes
-taxes (though coming from CA that probably won't be an issue...and at least we DO have good schools to show for it)
-rough roads (the cold/road salt takes its toll)
-salt on your car in the winter, cars rust a lot faster up here
-not as much diversty means less "flavor", but not as much of an issue in the Twin Cities--lots of ethnic restaurants and that sort of thing there
-crime/drugs, etc. in some parts of the state is worse than it used to be...I've seen a lot of the "quiant" Minnesota naivete disappear since I was a kid. Of course I'm sure that's probably true just about anywhere these days.

Overall, though, it's still a good place to live and if you can get over the cold, the problems here are relatively minor compared to problems elsewhere.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 PM

191 posts, read 692,998 times
I've lived in St. Paul suburbs my whole life. There is one city between me and St. Paul and for a while it has been very white here. Fast food joints employ english speakers and everyone is fairly nice. But lately, it seems like a lot of bad kids from the city have been flooding to our schools.
It seems to me that you may be a slightly conservative guy judging by how you talk about all the druggies and people wanting handouts. Minnesota is a bit more liberal than conservative, especially in the cities. I say, find yourself a nice St. Paul suburb. Minneapolis has some bad neighborhoods.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:04 PM

144 posts, read 935,445 times
I live in San Diego (Leucadia to be exact) and I have to ask: Why are you doing this? I think you're going to be sad when, on December 24th, you're stuck inside because it's -5 outside and down here in San Diego, we're having our annual christmas-eve margarita pool party. Cold in MN isn't SoCal cold. In SoCal, it's cold when it's below 60.

Although SoCal has weird people all over, I have to say that OC is the center of weird. It's all of the sterotypes of SoCal to the tenth degree. I've driven through , and the people are the most flaky, materalistic, fake and odd people I've ever met. Maybe you should try moving to San Diego.

People use drugs in SoCal a lot, but at least they're motivated to achieve something in their life. Yes, everyone and their dog smokes weed. What might bother some people is that often times, the parents will host parties for their kids. I've been to plenty. The kids will drink and smoke in the house while the parents are in their room. Sometimes, the dad will come down and have a beer or the mom will come and hit a joint.

People smoke weed almost everywhere and all the time. People also like to get faded early in the day. Prescription pill abuse is huge. Vicoden, Perocet, adderal, ritalin...everything. People sniffing cocaine in the bathroom, popping X is pretty normal. I havn't ran into any tweakers yet, though. The difference is that in SoCal, the parents and adults are drug users too.

I have to say that it doesn't really bother me. It's their life and they can do what they want with it. SoCal is beautiful, MN can't hold a candle to Torrey Pines, La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe or the amazing beaches.

My spanish teacher is from MN and she said she would never move back.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:15 PM

177 posts, read 814,968 times
Default Areas in MN - where would you recommend We look?

Hi MidniteBreeze and Yorkie_Mom,

Thanks for your valuable insights about MN - I appreciate it. My husband and I are so fed up with CA in every single way that We cannot wait to move to MN!! Therefore We have done much research into areas on the internet, however, this is great to find factual things out but cannot possibly be a substitute for getting first hand knowledge off natives about their land!!!! I hope you agree with this.....anyway, I was wondering where should We look...as I wrote before... We quite fancy St. Paul (this is where my husband would be working) and that surrounding area but I bet there are other areas that are just as enticing..How about South of Minneapolis?? Basically this is what we are after, I want great schools (preferably without any financial difficulties), great parks, scenery, small-town atmosphere - OR within a reasonable driving distance to a small town area - low crime would be a bonus - does such a place exist??? By the way, we don't like 'clone homes' - new housing estates anymore as We feel they are characterless. Yes, after being in CA for 5 years - I want everything that I can't get in CA in MN.

By the way the weather here in this desert part of CA in the summer is so hot that you cannot go out comfortably (100+ degrees everyday) it is not at all pleasant. In the Winter you get horrible high winds (30+ mph) which create sand storms and it is really fun driving in one of those I can tell you!!! (not really -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota