Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,713 times

Advertisements

As a German and Swedish-speaking German/Swedish-Minnesotan, I can tell you that there are ample opportunities here for connecting with your cultural roots. The U of M has a strong German, Scandinavian and Dutch program, where you can learn German and all Scandinavian languages (even Icelandic!). The American Swedish Institute, Sons of Norway and Germanic-American Institute all have many programs, events, speakers, classes, etc.

I've traveled and lived elsewhere, and one saying I heard rings true: "New York is the sexy one you want to take on an exciting date, but Minnesota is the one you want to take home to mother". Even with all its urban amenities, the Twin Cities are not glamorous places and never will be. At 23, I will likely move to one of those sexy places for a couple of years after graduate school, but return to Minnesota to start a family and career.

The reason is simple: the quality of life is unbeatable. Minnesota doesn't top the livability indicies year after year for no reason. People here value their natural environment, value education (K-12 and beyond) and generally have a hard work ethic that is directly descended from early Northern European pioneers. If you can tough out the winters (which are incidentally becoming milder due to global warming) you likely won't be disappointed with MN. The winters are actually what keeps much of the riff-raff out...

Lastly, if you move here, develop your sense of moderation. Minnesotans don't like loud-mouths (especially in public spaces) and people that talk endlessly about themselves and their problems. If you want to gain some insights into the Scandinavian-Minnesotan mindset, look up the Wikipedia article on the Swedish concept of "Jante law" (Jantelagen). While not as extreme, many Minnesotans operate on these terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 256,279 times
Default you will find everything you're looking for

One 6' scandinavian to another - of the urban areas St. Paul would likely be an easy transition for you if you're serious about not minding winter and are willing to buy a snow blower. Lots of culture and diversity and progressive minded people (for the midwest). I grew up south of the cities, then Alaska and came back to Duluth, which may be too slow-paced for your interests and does not have a swinging singles scene unless you are in college. St.Paul would be my first choice if I did it again, but instead we're moving back west - any advice on locales in OR?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeetcharity View Post
St.Paul would be my first choice if I did it again, but instead we're moving back west - any advice on locales in OR?
I moved back to Duluth from Roseburg, OR a few years ago (for family reasons) and I would recommend the Roseburg area to anyone. I thought the scenery was great, the coast is just over an hour away, and it doesn't rain there as much as it does in Portland or even Eugene.

A quickly growing area in Oregon is the Bend-Redmond area. I've been through there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful places there is. The people are laid back and it still has that "small town" feel to it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,631 times
Hi,

I'm actually in a similar situation - I too am in CA (San Jose) and am in need of a change. I've at least got some frineds out there (and they are doing a great job of trying to convince me) but I guess i'm a bit nervous about the change). During the summer, there is nothing better than laying out on Calhoun. That snow thing would be a big shock for me (i've been there for a couple good snow storms). But I guess my biggest block is trying to find a job out there while still living here. If anyone has any advice on that - I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM

9 posts, read 29,302 times
It is so comforting to here that being a "Californian" won't be held against me. I lived in Washington state for about four months and they treated me horribly. Thanks.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 256,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epadilla View Post
I moved back to Duluth from Roseburg, OR a few years ago (for family reasons) and I would recommend the Roseburg area to anyone. I thought the scenery was great, the coast is just over an hour away, and it doesn't rain there as much as it does in Portland or even Eugene.

A quickly growing area in Oregon is the Bend-Redmond area. I've been through there many times and I think it's one of the most beautiful places there is. The people are laid back and it still has that "small town" feel to it.
Thanks for your recommendations epadilla! Cloquet isn't so bad either ; ) I was there this morning. ; ) We have been looking outside Bend, but hear iffy things about the LaPine area. Did you visit there?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times
Default The amount of diversity in the TWIN CITIES is over rated

I think that the amount of foreigners and minorities in the greater MPLS and Saint Paul area is over rated. Sure there are more minorities than before but in comparison to Ca, MN is very white bred. Go out to the suburbs and small towns and almost everyone is a stereotype of the typical Minnesotan.

Whites are still 85% of the population of the 3 Million people metro area (MPLS Saint Paul).

Old 04-06-2007, 07:19 AM

184 posts, read 1,019,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think that the amount of foreigners and minorities in the greater MPLS and Saint Paul area is over rated. Sure there are more minorities than before but in comparison to Ca, MN is very white bred. Go out to the suburbs and small towns and almost everyone is a stereotype of the typical Minnesotan.

Whites are still 85% of the population of the 3 Million people metro area (MPLS Saint Paul).
It is all relative.... compared to our neighboring states like Wisconsin, the Dakotas, Iowa, Montana, we are very diverse in MN. But compared to a state like Massachusetts or California, we certainly are not.

Our diversity is growing by leaps and bounds. That is why people here regard our diversity as healthy... because it is much more diverse than it was a generation ago.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 18,980 times
Josh is delusional and day dreaming about white picket fence neighborhoods. There are nice and bad neighborhoods wherever you go in our country. It is OK to find places that have affordable housing, less traffics, and cost of living is not too expensive. However, saying things like all places in California are bad and wanna be in a more white neighborhood and looking for Scandinavians smelling like skin-head Nazi.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 AM

184 posts, read 1,019,683 times
The only way you'll have the term "Californian" held against you is if you constantly talk about California ad nauseum. You don't seem like the type of person who would do that.

I had a neighbor once who moved to Minneapolis from Brentwood, CA. She constantly was dropping into conversation that she was from California. Nobody knew what kind of response she was fishing for.... We could only assume that she was implying that she was more sophisticated and wordly than we were. I felt like asking her "and why did you move away from California? It obviously occupies all your thoughts."

You'll like it in Minnesota. I think that it is the best of both worlds -- a city large enough to offer theater, sports, recreation, and good-paying jobs, combined with nature, wildlife, and that simpler rural life that is not very far away.

I could live anywhere for my work, and I've chosen Minnesota. I'm not going anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota