Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM

200 posts, read 505,062 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Rochester for a job. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly. It looks like a great city and I'm excited to move there. Still looking for a place to live that's centrally located to the Mayo Clinic and the Apache Mall (our places of work), so any tips for where to live is appreciated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 AM

We will be renting.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Check out Infinity Real Estate & Management Group. He has rentals that he does, and I have frequently seen them where they are convenient to the mall (and would be convenient to Mayo as well).

Check out Quarry Ridge. That is just off 52 by 2nd ST. SW so easy access to 52 for mall and 2nd St. for Mayo. I know in the past parking has been a rarity for employee lots for new employees, but you can ride the bus with your Mayo badge. While I don't really know anything about these places, I've always thought they look good. http://http://www.bouquetcompanies.com/ (broken link)

You could look at Heritage Manor which is easy access to 52 as it is along the frontage road near IBM. I would recommend staying away from Meadow Park Apartments as well as Hunter's Ridge, the area around Hunter's Ridge (I can't remember all the complex names) and Bear Creek Apartments and I think it's Park something apartments by Bear Creek. These are heavily congested areas, and I have noticed on the crime mapping site (Rochester911.com | Crime & Fire Incident Maps and Reports for Rochester, MN and Surrounding Communities) that there are clusters of crime in these areas. There are also a lot of apartment complexes along 41st St. NW. I tend to recommend to avoid that area as well due to the congestion, and there have been incidents of crime there as well.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 PM

169 posts, read 526,334 times
I'd try to find somewhere where it is on the bus route to Mayo Clinic (if you work in the downtown location), as parking is hard to find. Parking at Apache shouldn't be a problem. Rochester isn't that big, so driving around doesn't take too long. Traffic isn't that bad, and we joked that it's Rush 20 min instead of rush hour.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Good:
Cosmopolitan small city With lots of wealth and jobs and a lively downtown. Close to twin cities, low cost of living

Bad: despite high paying jobs, their are still a lot of fringe townies to deal with.
It's also cold and windy in this part of the country

Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It's also cold and windy in this part of the country
Not as cold as Northern Minnesota but definitely windy - 4th windiest in the country.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM

Well I'm here staying in a hotel trying to find a place to live. I'm loving the city but I'm not loving what I'm finding as far as pet friendly rentals go. Everything is either $1600 or up which is a bit above what I wanted to pay, or things within the $1200 or less price range is located in the northwest side of town which I'm not really digging. Any suggestions as to where else I might try looking. I have looked in the Post Bulletin and Craigslist. I've also tried driving around areas I would like to live.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM

169 posts, read 526,334 times
Did you try Quarry Ridge? Or is this the $1600 and up place (wow if it is!)

Have you looked at the Mayo Classified? They used to print it out but now it's online only on the intranet (NOT internet), perhaps you could ask your Mayo HR person for a copy.

Good luck!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinHenderson View Post
Well I'm here staying in a hotel trying to find a place to live. I'm loving the city but I'm not loving what I'm finding as far as pet friendly rentals go. Everything is either $1600 or up which is a bit above what I wanted to pay, or things within the $1200 or less price range is located in the northwest side of town which I'm not really digging. Any suggestions as to where else I might try looking. I have looked in the Post Bulletin and Craigslist. I've also tried driving around areas I would like to live.
What is wrong with the NW area? It's pretty convenient to 52 and easy drives to Mayo and Apache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota