Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,201 times

Advertisements

Hi I will be going to graduate school in St. Louis Park, and was starting to look at potential areas to rent or purchase a house/apartment around that area. I'd like to stay within the county, and I love skiing and want my daughters to start skiing as well, so I'd like to be as near to Hastings as I can (the only ski resort I know that's nearby).

I'm a single mom, will be bringing a friend with me as well as my two daughters. I'll be 30 when I move, she'll be 18, and my children will just be starting school. I'm looking for a quiet neighborhood that has extracurricular activities for my girls (specifically ballet and gymnastics would be great), not very expensive (I won't be able to work while in school, so will be living off grants, student loans, and savings), and still has some things for my friend to do.

Any ideas? I was thinking of either St. Louis Park because the school is there or possibly Bloomington because of the proximity to both the school and skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 AM

501 posts, read 1,949,158 times
I'm not too familiar with "ski resorts" as you put it, but just as an FYI, there are other skiing options aside from Afton Alps (which is what I'm assuming you're referring to in Hastings). I've never been to Afton Alps so I'm not familiar with what they specifically offer, but I do know that Bloomington itself has Hyland Ski & Snowboard Area and a Season Pass can be shared with Elm Creek Park Reserve Winter Recreation Area Three Rivers Park District (http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/recreation/ec_winter_rec_area.cfm - broken link) as well which is a nice alternative to have. Then there's Buck Hill • Minnesota Skiing Snowboarding & Snow Tubing (http://www.buckhill.com/winter/main.shtml - broken link) also, just to name a few closer to the St Louis Park area.

I don't know if that changes your outlook on which areas to consider. Overall, Hennepin County isn't bad as far as finding a quiet neighborhood with things for you and your family to keep active. Affordability will be your biggest hurdle, I'd say. Considering your kids will be starting school, I'd maybe use that as a guide and compare your choices to proximity to school. Just suggestions, good luck!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:27 AM

214 posts, read 692,678 times
Excellent advice from MNNative. I lived in St. Louis Park and liked it. My friend has lived in Bloomington all of her life, so obviously enjoys it. Affordability will indeed be your biggest hurdle.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 AM

118 posts, read 519,311 times
My aunt and Uncle have lived in SLP for as long as I can remember. My sisters and I often visited during the summers. As a child, I remember never feeling unsafe or not at home in the neighborhood, and we where outside, "running the neighborhood", most of the daylight hours. Quite a few years passed between visits, but the neighborhood seemed unchanged, well kept, but still the same. The oulying areas, shop and such, have developed with the times. I would check it iut seriosly,

Old 09-07-2008, 04:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,398,945 times
What graduate program is in St. Louis Park? I didn't know there was a university there?

Since your budget will be tight, live close to where you will be every day. Getting to Hastings from St. Louis Park is not hard on a weekend if you want to ski. Why drive 40 minutes every day when you can drive 5 every day and then take the trip to Hastings once or twice on a weekend. If you need a quick ski fix during the week you can hop over to Buck Hill in Burnsville.

With kids in school and you needing to be near St. Louis Park I would also check out the Plymouth area. It was just voted one of the best places to live in the nation. The schools are very good and it is an easy commute to SLP.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,201 times
Thank you so much for your responses! And yes, I'd definitely be willing to try out some other ski areas around SLP

I'll be going to Minneapolis School of Anesthesia on Minnetonka Blvd. All the clinicals will be within 25 miles of the school.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,376 times
Have lived closed to St Louis Park, so my vote is for St Louis Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota