Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,694 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a house in Minneapolis and have found some in South Minneapolis I like. However, I'm unsure how safe the area is. The specific area I'm considering is around Columbus Ave. South and Chicago Ave. South from 47th--50th.

Has anyone lived in this area? I'd appreciate any positive/negative stories of your experience...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM

132 posts, read 576,593 times
The consensus seems to be that the less safe part of Minneapolis is the north part (above the Olson highway) though I've read some debate on whether or not uptown also has a serious crime problem. Of course someone who actually lives in that neighborhood will be able to tell you more.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:03 PM

121 posts, read 663,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSMN View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a house in Minneapolis and have found some in South Minneapolis I like. However, I'm unsure how safe the area is. The specific area I'm considering is around Columbus Ave. South and Chicago Ave. South from 47th--50th.

Has anyone lived in this area? I'd appreciate any positive/negative stories of your experience...

Thanks!
Hi. Check out www.ziprealty.com
It's free to register...you could look up the poroperty and then it has neighborhood stats with it as well as an estimate...

Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 PM

175 posts, read 731,270 times
The areas in South Mpls close to 50th are very nice . I am very familiar with the area you are talking about. Columbus 47th to 50th is quite safe and also close to the Minnehaha Parkway. I have lived in Mpls for over 20 years and the area you are looking at is a prime location. If the price is right, buy it. The little "village" at 48th and Chicago adds a nice charm to the area. The only negative is that the parking in the 47th and 48th block of Columbus can get congested when people go to the nearby restaurants. Perhaps you will have a garage?

The rough parts of South Mpls are close to Lake Street and also the Phillips neighborhood (north of Lake St), however S. Mpls is a much better area than North Mpls.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,694 times
Thank you for your help!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
Default Columbus Ave.

The southern parts of Columbus are nice, especially near the creek. The area around Lake is on a definate upswing, especially after they redid the Sears Bldg. on Chicago. There are some bad areas around 35th and 38th, but nothing that would put you in personal danger (Home Robberies, nuisance crimes) Use your city sense and even the latter part is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: