Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM

559 posts, read 1,322,925 times

Advertisements

At least its not like the interior of Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,108 times
Winter is awesome. You have ice hockey, skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, more ice hockey, ice climbing, winter camping, snow shoeing, more ice hockey, cross country skiing, curling, dog sledding, ski joring, and of course, more ice hockey. I can't stand the heat. It makes me feel like I am suffocating. Of course many of us here in the Far North are descendants from Sacandanavia. I just doesn't feel cold. Get back to me ina couple of weeks and see if I change my mind!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM

20 posts, read 67,383 times
I don't mind the cold. When you no longer experience the change of seasons it kinda makes a person sad almost like you're forever missing or waiting for something.
I moved and live in AZ for the past few years. The sun is great but everyday, bright as hell gets to be a bit much sometimes. I can't wait for the cloudy days here. On top of that when it rains I expect it to become cool with a slight breeze, open the windows weather to smell the rain and cool off, but no - completely still like everyday, hot and sprinkly. Not even a real rain, you just stand there like-what the hell is it gonna rain or not, LOL! I will welcome the true winter, fall, spring, and summer with open arms. I miss opening my windows in the evening to let the cool breeze flow through, sound of crickets and the other evening insects, long walks in the crisp autumn weather, beautiful spring and summer as well as the midnight walks in the snow when the flakes float straight down big and fluffy completely silent so i can scream as loud as I can just to hear myself, LOL! Those nights when it cold yet it doesn't seem like it.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
-20F is not that bad as long as there is not too much wind. Subzero temperatures are much better than 90-100F+ temperatures in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 14,380 times
Default MN Cold

I guess I personally like the change in the climate, it mixes things up a bit.

As for how long it will take you to get acclimated- I think one winter will do ya. Ha ha. You'll for sure learn your lesson as soon as you can't feel your fingers. I don't think there's any more extreme danger in being in cold weather than hot, as long as you're smart about it - but I've lived here all my life. Dress in layers, don't forget thermal underwear (and no, underarmour doesn't necessarily work unless you're sweating underneath in my experience), warm hat, and gloves! And a car that won't stall OR a cell phone with good reception.

Good luck, and welcome in advance!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
I can't even imagine the wind chill being 50 below, with a temp in the mid -30s. How do you deal with it? I've lived in San Diego my whole life and I thought it was freezing when it got down to 23 a couple of weeks ago. It hasn't been that cold in at least 15 years, the weather people said.

Does this cold bother you? Have you had to adjust after a move, or are you a native?
Simple. Dress warmly and go outside and play a sport like hockey or skate.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Winter is awesome. You have ice hockey, skiing, sledding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, more ice hockey, ice climbing, winter camping, snow shoeing, more ice hockey, cross country skiing, curling, dog sledding, ski joring, and of course, more ice hockey. I can't stand the heat. It makes me feel like I am suffocating. Of course many of us here in the Far North are descendants from Sacandanavia. I just doesn't feel cold. Get back to me ina couple of weeks and see if I change my mind!
I couldn't agree more with you on this. I wish it would get that cold in GA. I have never done ice fishing, ice hockey, skiing(or any kind), snow-shoeing, but I would love to give them all a try.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM

13 posts, read 44,294 times
Born and raised in the northern parts of these midwestern states--and no, I have never adjusted. I friggin' hate it. I have friends and loved ones here but good god, I can't stand another year of it. OP, you still in San Diego or what? To me, that's a place called heaven.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM

242 posts, read 853,829 times
I'm going home to northern MN for Christmas. I've become a bit of a weenie as far as the cold is concerned here in Utah. I'm going to have to start acclimating myself to the cold before I go home. Or I won't make it.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:04 PM

53 posts, read 141,963 times
Winter is on it's way here in Northern MN. I'm getting a little too old for it ...... I'm thinking of trying out my wings and flying to Tennessee this winter to try it out.
Any one know anything about the weather in TN in the winter months?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota