Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 AM

121 posts, read 661,247 times

Advertisements

My cousin is going to buy a house in N MNPLS...sheis a single mom so her budget is around 100K-120K. She says the area is not so bad but all I hear about is how bad N Mnpls is. What are the good areas to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,281,695 times
From most people's testimonies every block in north is hit or miss. It varies alot. I follow the crime data from the Minneapolis Police department pretty closely and from that I would say you'd be steering clear of alot of the crime if you stay west of Russel Ave. or north of Dowling Ave. If she buys a house within that box she better make sure she talks to some of the neighbors around and the police in the 4th precinct to make sure that the block where the house is located is a safe one.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM

21 posts, read 127,892 times
NE Minneapolis is my favorite, my grandpa lives there, so i go there a lot

Some bad parts/times but nothing major, or anything to worry about

Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM

70 posts, read 278,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imissthefall View Post
My cousin is going to buy a house in N MNPLS...sheis a single mom so her budget is around 100K-120K. She says the area is not so bad but all I hear about is how bad N Mnpls is. What are the good areas to live there?
Plymouth, Bloomington, Edina, St. Louis Park, Eagan, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Savage, Little Canada, Coon Rapids, Fridley, and Anoka all have condos, twinhomes, and other properties in her price range.

Single family homes are going to be a bit hard to come by in this price range, unless she can fix something up.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 12,148 times
Default Definitely consider Victory-Camden!

We've lived in the Victory-Camden area of North Minneapolis for 5 years, and it's been great. We wouldn't move if we had more space. Victory is basically north of Dowling, west of Penn as another poster said. There are some cute restaurants and coffee shops, and still very affordable homes. I can't speak for every block, but all of the neighbors on our block (41st and Russell) and across the alley on Sheridan have been wonderful. I'm not sure how young your cousin's child is, but there are lots of great kids of all ages in the area too. Loring elementary is great and they have some wonderful community programs (Kids Cook, etc.).

We've had very few incidents of crime since we've lived here, just a few random property damage incidents that happen everywhere - bored kids/teens in the summer. But nothing violent, ever. With the market the way it is, your cousin shouldn't have any trouble finding a smaller house in that price range. She may have to do some painting and minor repairs, but I'm sure she could find something. I'd offer our house but it's just 1 bedroom!

Best of luck!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,532,130 times
Yes, it is unfair to say that every single solitary block in 1/3 of the city is crime ridden and unlivable. The worst parts in in Jordan, Willard-Hay, Sumner-Glenwood, et. cetera. Camden is actually a decent place to live, esp. when on a budget. Also, the area within a few block of V. Memorial Pkwy have nice homes that would be 3x as expensive if they were on the Southside. Wirth Park is gourgeous and kind of hidden as far as Mpls. parks go. If you haven't been to the bogs, you are missing. Not everywhere is as bad as hype would have you believe. You have to be careful about schools, but there are alot of options.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:46 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,740,090 times
Willard-Hay in the Old Highland area is decent, but again, very block to block. Far west portion near Theo Wirth Parkway is decent north of Plymouth but south of Broadway as well from Xerxes to Thomas or so. Jordan I would steer clear of altogether, as well as Hawthorne, Mckinley, Folwell, and Cleveland aside from the areas bordering the parkway.

Webber-Camden is not bad now, but was hit pretty hard by a lot of foreclosures. Sadly I could see that area becoming worse as the years pass. Victory would be your best bet overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota