U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM

7 posts, read 20,091 times

Advertisements

I am a junior in college and want to get a degree in Information Systems. So far I've narrowed my decisions to UW-Eau Claire, St Cloud State and the U of M. I'm from the cities and used to the suburbs, so part of me wants to go to the U. The only issue is that the Carlson School of Management, a great school, is really hard to get into or at least thats the reputation.

My question is pertaining to the quality of education: SCSU or Carlson school of Management (u of M). Would a degree from one place be better than the other? Also as far as atmostphere, culture and diversity goes, how are these schools? I'm a bit ignorant to local schools, so hopeufully some folks here can educate me. :-)

Any information about either school would be helpful. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 PM

6,735 posts, read 9,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2306 View Post
I am a junior in college and want to get a degree in Information Systems. So far I've narrowed my decisions to UW-Eau Claire, St Cloud State and the U of M. I'm from the cities and used to the suburbs, so part of me wants to go to the U. The only issue is that the Carlson School of Management, a great school, is really hard to get into or at least thats the reputation.

My question is pertaining to the quality of education: SCSU or Carlson school of Management (u of M). Would a degree from one place be better than the other? Also as far as atmostphere, culture and diversity goes, how are these schools? I'm a bit ignorant to local schools, so hopeufully some folks here can educate me. :-)

Any information about either school would be helpful. Thanks.
If you can't get into Carlson, attend SCSU/Herberger. But a degree from Carlson is more prestigious. The networking possibilities are good for both schools. I'm an SCSU alumnus, and I will admit that a degree from UM/Carlson is something you should take advantage of...if you can get in.

I like the atmosphere at SCSU. But atmosphere is a vague term. There will be many more cultural opportunities in Minneapolis.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 AM

Yes getting in is the biggest thing. I have a decent GPA now (3.0) and with the average GPA being 3.7 for a Carlson student and even though I have to take a few pre-req classes before I can apply for admission to Carlson..i dont think my chances are too good.

Ozzie: As a SCSU alumni, did you take any business classes or information systems class? If so how did you like the classes and prof/faculty? And is Herberger well respected in the "real world"?

Last edited by newbie2306; 10-08-2008 at 01:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 AM

394 posts, read 1,469,010 times
Well I am probably the most suited person in this forum to answer this question...

I recently graduated from SCSU in May, and I lived there for four years during college...Ill give you my thoughts.

A) Even at the peak of the whole "swastika" bullshnit, it was pretty much nothing to students or the campus. Campus-wide, it was taken as a grain of salt, prety much "just another freshman being an idiot"...

B) It gets a bad name for being " a party school", but to be honest, it wasnt too much partying. I mean, yea, college aged kids drink, and frankly, when you go to school and do homework all week, its rewarding to get silly with your friends, loosens you up to mingle with the girls, whatever. Its college. if you have 4 years of your life to let loose, have a good time, and have a reason to be immature, its college. so live it up, because you only live once.

C) It is a school that takes pride in its culutre, and internationally appeal. It is a really diverse campus, which I thought was great. I came from a HS where we had 1 black kid in my graduating class, to a campus with over 1000 international students and a city with nearly 1000 Somalis.

D) The Somali tension isnt that big of a deal, its basically a bunch of townies getting upset at a new influx of immigrants, which they are unused to.

E) The college itself is nice. Nicer than most think. Brand new Husky Football Stadium, Brand new Parking ramp, new science building, many rennovations happeneing, new Work out center, new track in the fieldhouse, new changes coming to the Hockey Center...

F) I thought it was remarkable how it was a close knit school. THere are nearly 20,000 students there, but you would see familiar faces all the time- and make freinds from freshman year that still run up and give you high fives your senior year. its great.

G) Hockey games are the best part of this school. Its so fun, all the students get so excited for games.

H) the city of st cloud is doing great things. its becoming a regional hub and a growing suburb of minneapolis everyday. Its becoming a well known region of the uppermidwest.(Juno was supposivly in St. Cloud) Its a quick drive to Minneapolis - 50 minutes, but you feel away from the cities enough to actually relax and enjoy yourself.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Herberger is a well known Business School in the real world. Its definitley not Carlson, but its above standard for a state college/public university.

The CEO of Wells Fargo got his Bachelors from SCSU's Herberger College.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
Herberger is a well known Business School in the real world. Its definitley not Carlson, but its above standard for a state college/public university.

The CEO of Wells Fargo got his Bachelors from SCSU's Herberger College.
Yep, Herberger is a very well respected business school, and Carlson is the most prestigious business school in the state.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM

Great! Thanks for the information! Its really helpful; now I know what to look for when I visit.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM

17,030 posts, read 29,686,223 times
When you apply for a job out of state, which name do you think will be more recognizable?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
When you apply for a job out of state, which name do you think will be more recognizable?
I think newbie gets it.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post

What really matters is how competent of a person you are. How hard you work. How well you present yourself. How you can react in certain situations. How active you were during college. Major accomplishments.

Unless you have an MBA or a Master's level degree, the line between major universities is irrelevant. I know many people who have gone to the U and are idiots. Anyone can go listen in class, memorize and take a test. Thats not spectacular. Its how you grow as a professional, competency, and work ethic. period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota