Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM

53 posts, read 122,621 times

Advertisements

I have decided it is time for me to pick up sticks and start exploring possible areas to relocate to. I plan on heading to the Northwoods of Minnesota this winter with my Chevrolet Caprice (affectionately dubbed the Whale) for greener (or is that whiter) pastures. Originally I wanted to go to Alaska but with recent upheaval in the economy I decided perhaps it would be wiser to wait out these events a little closer to family and in an area with a lower cost of living than the Last Frontier.

What I want is some advice from some native Minnesotans about the Northwoods and some answers to a couple of questions. I am curious to know if Minnesota has the same hard drinking party it up culture as Wisconsin, frankly I am sick of it. I never have nor will drink. It is difficult to find things to do with people when the first activity that they come up with involves getting wasted. But enough on that rant.

Are there any areas that seem to attract people with a more "Bohemian" nature. Alas I seem to be the only person in my town that has any interest in off-grid living and living green. When I went out to Oregon last year I met all kinds of people similar to myself, but unfortunately it is much too hot for me out there and the winters consist of nothing but rain. I have a couple more questions, but it is late and I need my sleep.

Thanks in Advance......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
I think you can find that drinking mentality here. I wouldn't say it's everywhere but I know I have seen it in northern Minnesota without question.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
I have decided it is time for me to pick up sticks and start exploring possible areas to relocate to. I plan on heading to the Northwoods of Minnesota this winter with my Chevrolet Caprice (affectionately dubbed the Whale) for greener (or is that whiter) pastures. Originally I wanted to go to Alaska but with recent upheaval in the economy I decided perhaps it would be wiser to wait out these events a little closer to family and in an area with a lower cost of living than the Last Frontier.

What I want is some advice from some native Minnesotans about the Northwoods and some answers to a couple of questions. I am curious to know if Minnesota has the same hard drinking party it up culture as Wisconsin, frankly I am sick of it. I never have nor will drink. It is difficult to find things to do with people when the first activity that they come up with involves getting wasted. But enough on that rant.

Are there any areas that seem to attract people with a more "Bohemian" nature. Alas I seem to be the only person in my town that has any interest in off-grid living and living green. When I went out to Oregon last year I met all kinds of people similar to myself, but unfortunately it is much too hot for me out there and the winters consist of nothing but rain. I have a couple more questions, but it is late and I need my sleep.

Thanks in Advance......
Couple places that I would suggest you look at would be Ely and Grand Marais.

Ely is a gathering place where many people head out for adventure into the BWCA. It attracts a fair number of people that love the area for the rugged beuaty and "off the grid" feel of some sort. It is somewhat of a divided town of "locals" and "newcommers" and they don't always seem to agree on things. I don't drink either, but you will see some of that in these areas. Never bothered me much, as people drink no matter where you go.

I have a cabin up in Ely and at one time wanted very much to move there or perhaps retire there. That may still happen, but good jobs are tough to find. I would have to give up a lot to move there now, and I just can't see doing it yet.

I am less familiar with Grand Marais, but have been through there many times and know they have a group of people that are very green and some of them live out in the woods without electricty or running water.

Some other cities you might want to look at would be Cloquet, Duluth, Virginia, Hibbing, Grand Rapids and International Falls. These are cities of some size with more robust job markets.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
Look into places like Bemidji, Cass Lake and Park Rapids. I grew up in that neck of the woods and look forward to getting back there when I reitre.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:58 AM

I lived in Hibbing for 2 years. I don't recommend moving there. Grand Rapids is a beautiful area and I'd say look into that too.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM

989 posts, read 2,961,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I lived in Hibbing for 2 years. I don't recommend moving there. Grand Rapids is a beautiful area and I'd say look into that too.
If that plant gets build in Nashwauk, there may be some good jobs there.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:42 AM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times
I think you may find that Duluth has a similar (smaller) green vibe as Portland. I lived in the Pacific Northwest for many years and find the same nature granola type here in Duluth. Lots of Green Party, Libertarians and such here too.

As far as drinking culture goes, I think you will find that this area has 2 times as many bars as churches. I think the number of bartenders rank right up there with Las Vegas per capita.

It is easy to find things to do and not drink too. I drink, but do not get into the party crowd, and I find plenty of activities.

Duluth is a good jumping off point for the Northwoods, and the city itself is a green city with tons of parks, trails, and wildlife right in the city.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Jobs has nothing to do with why I would never recommend Hibbing to somebody.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
You will definitely find like-minded people in both Ely and Grand Marias, and they are both beautiful areas. The North House Folk School has a position open, last time I looked (it's just running the retail store, but it is something!). I didn't have any trouble finding a no-electicity, no-plumbing cabin for longterm rent in Ely (that was six years ago). It can be harder to find rentals in Ely this time of the year, though, as the college kids take up a lot of them.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM

53 posts, read 122,621 times
Thanks for all the replies, I have a little familiarity with the Sawtooth Mountain area. I took a road trip up that way through Duluth all the way within 15 miles of the Canadian border. Unfortunately my car decided it had enough and I had to cut short my trip by a week and a half and limp home. So needless to say I didn't get to explore much. This time around I have a reliable car and more money Hopefully my excursion will go a little better this time.

As far as drinking goes, yeah I know it is everywhere. But I hope to find place where not everyone's idea of a good time is blacking out and having their stomach pumped. I have nothing against drinking in moderation.

Also how is the crime up there. Around where I am (rural central Wisconsin) there has been a bit of stealing going on and a lot of drug related troubles. Is meth a big problem up there? It seems like when meth hit around here that is when the crime started happening.

As far as property taxes go, are they pretty high? I know in Wisconsin they are a little ridiculous. Also is the real-estate market up there in a tumble? Is land expensive? Does everyone and their brother from the Twin Cities have a cabin getaway up there? That is the way it is getting around here. Most of the locals are getting priced right out of the market because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota