Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 32,978 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am strongly considering a move to either Minnesota or Wisconsin, and I can't decide which would suit me better. I've been reading previous posts for hours, and both states sound outstanding!

My main issue is that I am an Earth Science teacher and need to live somewhere I can support myself on a teacher's salary. I am not concerned about the "dating scene". I am politically liberal, not religious, and I don't have a family. I like being around smart, artsy people (although I am not either). I love big cities, but I also love outdoor activities and small-town friendliness. I don't mind traffic too much, but I'd rather bike or take public transportation.

Any advice would be more appreciated than I can tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
So it is between Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Milwaukee and Madison, right?
Milwaukee and Madison are cheaper, Mpls. and Saint Paul are more friendly. Transportation in Mpls. is best. Milwaukee gets the lake, but Mpls. has more outdoor opportunities in my opinion. You will find smart, artsy people in all of them. Madison will have more college degrees per capita and Mpls. feels more artsy, but those are generalizations.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,169 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul sounds more up your alley...plus around the twin cities is very scenic with lots of outdoor activities...a drive up north isn't far...

Old 10-31-2008, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,989 times
If you're looking for a unique , "outdoorsy" small town atmosphere, you should take a drive up north and check out Ely, Minnesota. It attracts a lot of the environmental artsy type of people. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 AM

2 posts, read 4,585 times
As a parent of 3 children in the Mahtomedi school district I welcome you to my city to help educate my kids and help to boost the value of my home. The teachers here are amazing. Mrs Rhode at Wildwood actually offered to DRIVE ONE OF MY CHILDREN TO BUSY BEES DAYCARE EVERY DAY . Also, I have to bring one of my kids to dialysis every M,W,F., so my wife and I have more than a full time schedule. Mrs Meg (sorry, forgot her last name) at Wildwood, knowing our extremely busy schedule, is taking my son and a few other kids to the zoo this Saturday ON HER OWN TIME. I moved to Mahtomedi for #1, The Lake and, and #2, the schools. (certainly NOT the downtown. Bars, a bowling alley, unoccupied row houses, etc. THANK GOD for the library, City Hall, the Fire Department and last but most importantly, the adjacent Lake itself. Unfortunately aesthetically and functionally, the private sector has really dropped the ball in downtown Mahtomedi. But I digress)

So, in conclusion, my primary motivation to buy a home in Mahtomedi was the school system. I have not been disappointed. From the janitor on up, you will be appreciated as a part of the school system here by the parents of the district.

Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM

214 posts, read 691,606 times
Take a look at Hibbing, just one hour from Duluth and still affordable.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
You could also consider the Rochester area. The city is growing - fastest in the state. There are lots of small towns around here and the bluff country area is beautiful. Housing is affordable in Rochester and the surrounding area. I see lots of people taking bikes to work and lots of people take public transportation. There are lots of nice neighborhoods and racial and ethnic diversity. The winters are not as harsh as up north and are also shorter.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 AM

195 posts, read 1,078,434 times
Rochester is a city, but friendly in a small town way- affordable, and you don't want to try the winters up North. And bluff country is so lovely- far better than the rest of MN! I think you would like Rochester- much less traffic than the Twin Cities, which I don't think you would like that much. I live not very far from Rochester on IA-MN border.I don't have much familiarity with Wis.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 AM

39 posts, read 121,172 times
Most places in MN will work for you. The cost of housing in Twin Cities varies, but you can find areas that will work for you. Living in the lower NE Mpls would be lots of fun for you, and you'd still be within a short drive to very good districts: Mounds View, St. Anthony, Mahtomedi, and such. Here's a link to MN Dept of Education: Minnesota Department of Education
I am a local Realtor and can assure you that you have many choices here and will love living in this area for years to come. Best of luck!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachesci View Post
My main issue is that I am an Earth Science teacher and need to live somewhere I can support myself on a teacher's salary.
I don't think you'd have a problem supporting yourself on a teacher's salary in any major city in Minnesota or Wisconsin. I'd say see what's available and go wherever you can find a job. That will undoubtedly be the biggest challenge in the move and once you get beyond that I think Minneapolis, St. Paul or Milwaukee would probably all suit you equally well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota