Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2006, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 5,584 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Blaine and Plymouth areas? How are they in regard to a commute to the University? What are the pros and cons of the areas? We will be moving in early January and are looking at housing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 07:01 AM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
I prefer Plymouth over Blaine. Most things you would need are near. There is atleast 1 nice big county park in Plymouth with trails, playground, canoes, and a beach. Lake Minnetonka isn't too far to the west which is great for boating. Plymouth has a "higher class" reputation than Blaine in general with locals. Most of the western suburbs like Minnetonka, Eden Prarie, Wayzata, and Chanhassen have that reputation along with Plymouth. Some of the northern suburbs like Blaine, Coon Rapids, and Anoka have a "low class" trailer park/redneck type reputation, even though they do have some nice areas and not everybody that lives there is really like that. Blaine might offer more house for the money, but I have not really paid attention lately. The commute is probably about equal, but I-394 which you would use living in Plymouth has a HOV(high occupancy vehicle) lane to downtown and back. You can pay to use while alone with a pass in your window, or use it free with 2 or more people in the car.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 PM

30 posts, read 190,961 times
i have to agree plymouth is better place to live. however neighter is a good commute to the university! i would get a little closer like northern part of St.Paul

Old 07-22-2006, 05:59 PM

102 posts, read 622,023 times
I really like Plymouth, and 394 would take you directly to downtown Minneapolis, which is right next to the university.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,394 times
Default Living in Blaine

Living in Blaine is the worst. I have lived there now for over 2 years. There are so many rules that it drives you nuts. You will get a ticket if your trash can is at the end of your driveway more than 24 hours. The people who live on my street all think they live in north oaks; trying to maintain some "leave it to Beaver" type of living. But the point is times are changing and if you are a guy who likes to work on your house or putter in your garage in a car then Blaine is not for you. If you want e-mail me and I will tell you my story of court apperiances I have made just living in Blaine. If you like big brother to control you than this is the place for you.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Plymouth is great, with great trails, and French park. There's also a really nice eight mile paved loop around Medicine lake.

The express bus takes you right downtown.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 AM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine Darst View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Blaine and Plymouth areas? How are they in regard to a commute to the University? What are the pros and cons of the areas? We will be moving in early January and are looking at housing now.
I like Plymouth better. Have you looked on www.ziprealty.com

for houses?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 AM

137 posts, read 611,726 times
Plymouth over Blaine-- no contest there.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:51 AM

7 posts, read 19,999 times
The vast majority of people in the Twin Cities have no idea what has developed recently in Blaine. If you're planning on moving to the twin cities and need a relatively short commute to the U. Blaine is a tremendous choice. Just to name a few reasons: Park n Ride on the Corner of Radisson and 35W. The Lakes Community is the largest series of man made lakes surrounded by a variety of residential opportunities from condos, townhomes, single family home at all levels of affordability. The trails, lakes, parks, canoing, kayaking, cycling opportunities are vast and safe.
Then of course if you love golf... The TPC in blaine hosts the 3M championship every year and you have the tpc and other area courses to knock it around, including Bunker Hills

Last edited by golfgal; 12-25-2007 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: ads not allowed

Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,749 times
I would definatly choose Blaine. I've lived here for 18 years and it's been wonderful. There's tons of parks, and schools. A lot of places to shop, such as Northtown Mall, RiverDale, and Rosedale is not too far eaither. You can always fine what you're looking for. There's also a lot of lakes. Coon Lake, Lake George, and their not far at all. There's hardly any crime, it's not "trailor Trashy" eaither. Yes, we have trailor parks, but hey, what city doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota